TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre I saw you did the VI for W&C last year. I was just wondering if you had any advice on what types of questions came up, how many questions and any top tips to ace it. Thanks for your help!
Unfortunately we cannot share the actual questions (and I genuinely do not remember) but they were all motivational if I remember correctly so prepare answers around your motivations for law and the firm.

Additionally, there are some posts on TCLA from me and Erin that might be helpful in terms of tips for video interviews in general, I will include some links here: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

I hope these are helpful and good luck with the assessment!

Reactions: Amehta1

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Can anyone please confirm that the Shoosmiths Discover vacation scheme and training contract deadline is on the 4th February 2024? I’m seeing this day but also today (31st) so I’m slightly worried @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
On the firm's website it says 31st January so I would consider that as the deadline: https://www.shoosmiths.com/careers/emerging-talent/placement ; https://www.shoosmiths.com/careers/emerging-talent/apply-now

I linked two parts of the website that confirms that.

• 🤝
Reactions: Sunshinepink

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
End of Feb seems so far away😫 I applied first week of Dec and had my VI invite right before Christmas
Haha I’m so glad you said that because that’s like a 3 week wait roughly and I’ve been waiting around that long to hear back post-app. Have you heard anything post-VI? I know it’s so long… all of mine are just waiting now and I don’t think I’m going to hear anything for a while 👎🏼

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Realised i‘ve been referring to a firms name with an and instead of & in my work experience section for my applications, do you think this could be a reason for rejections?
I personally do not think it is going to be that big of a deal and they might not even notice it. I made mistakes like this too last year and it was totally fine.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Might be an extremely stupid question, but do you think the firm's can figure out if you have used ChatGPT to cut down on some words even if the content is all my own?
They are using tools to see if people used the software or not so I personally would not use it since you are not sure who checks what. I am sure it is fine for most firms but I have heard that some firms are checking whether people used it or not so being careful is key.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@axelbeugre For an AC interview, how long would be too long for a 'Why commercial law' or 'Why this firm' answer.

Thank you
I am someone who does not take minutes of an answer into account, as long as I feel like I am not boring the interviewer, I think that the interview went well. So, in my opinion, there is no set time to follow that would determine a good answer from not a good answer, it is something you gauge from your interviewees. I would say that it is important to stay within 1,5 to 3 minutes for each answer but it is a very approximate metric as I do not think there is a good limit to follow. I would not worry about this too much! Try to answer the questions as best as you can without speaking too much or too little.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If I had an interview for an internship on the 19th of January, and they stated that I’ll hear an outcome, or whether they were still deciding, by the 26th of January (last Friday), is it ok to chase them via email? Or should I just keeping waiting? I don’t want to annoy them since I chased them previously about the interview.
I personally would wait until next week and then I would email if I were you. It is strange that they have not heard back but they are probably very busy so I would not worry too much about this and reach out only if they do not contact you next week.

aspiringcatsolicitor

Jun 19, 2023
Hoping that we all hear some good news before the end of the week!

Episode 19 Nbc GIF by America's Got Talent

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is performance at an assessment centre generally viewed holistically?

I had three interviews and felt two went well and one I struggled and wouldn’t say it was strong at all. Do you need to perform highly across all three interviews to have a chance or could the strength of the other two help my case?

I know it’s out of my hands now but really replaying the bad interview in my mind and want to know if there’s any indication that I’m still in with a shot? :)
It will generally be a bit of both.

You’ll tend to need to perform to at least a certain level in all of the assessments, but that a slight underperformance, especially if it relates to a specific competency, could be balanced out be a stronger performance in the same competency in another assessment. For instance, if your verbal communication was not strong in one interview, but was in the other two, it’s likely to be balanced out.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.