TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Apple

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jul 23, 2023
A firm has two questions: Why do you wish to complete a work placement with us? AND What has attracted you to the firm?

I am just really confused about what the difference between both questions is and the best way to approach it. I would love some advice for it!
So an example of why you might be attracted to the firm is they have a best friends network, and you find the collaborative approach enjoyable.

While the work placement may have a small intake and compulsory corporate seat, and you are interested in getting the hands-on experience of a small cohort in an area you are particularly interested in.

Abbas J

Star Member
Mar 30, 2023
Hi,

Can anyone list the hot topics in the legal market right now? Or industry trends in the legal sector? I'm struggling to research this sufficiently online. Alternatively, any resources which I can use to research both these factors would be much appreciated. My AC is on Monday and I don't have much knowledge on the legal industry at all.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi,

Can anyone list the hot topics in the legal market right now? Or industry trends in the legal sector? I'm struggling to research this sufficiently online. Alternatively, any resources which I can use to research both these factors would be much appreciated. My AC is on Monday and I don't have much knowledge on the legal industry at all.
Here is a good starting point:

However I would try to focus more on what might be impacting the specific type of firm you have the AC with.

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    Good luck for your interview!

I have just narrowed mines down to 3/4.

firstly, one of their key practice areas being of interest to me and how my experience links back to this with brief mention of a case and why it’s important to me.

Secondly, I spoke about the training contract structure, the lack of mandatory seats allowed for more exposure and let’s trainees have the responsibility to drive their career into multiple areas/ areas they’re interested in and how this could contribute to their high retention rate. Also added in about their multiple offices with an opportunity to do an international secondment and large intake for networking.

lastly, spoke about culture specifically diversity and their partnership with 10K interns shows their dedication to tackling diversity in the legal field with majority participants actually getting a TC.

@Jessica Booker would this be too much to say? I’ve narrowed it down from the 8 points I had before 😅
    I also had 5 points before🤣🤣🤣 I think we are overthinking this too much and we should really keep it short - I think yours is really good with these key points :)

S87

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 4, 2018
    What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of a firm having offices in multiple countries compared to a best friend network?
    I am not sure about my answer but I always think about costs and profits. It is more expensive to have multiple offices and depending on the firm’s business model, having multiple offices could affect partners pep.

Reactions: axelbeugre

s2203

Star Member
    Mar 28, 2023
    What do you think are the benefits and drawbacks of a firm having offices in multiple countries compared to a best friend network?
    The level of quality of work between each office varies. E.g., the London office might have "Tier 1" quality work, whereas an office in Brussels let's say may have "Tier 3" quality work. Best friend network allows firms to handpick the high ranked firms in each region who know the jurisdiction a lot more, thus allowing their clients to get the best advice regardless of where they're operating.

Hope that helps!!

cattlawapps324

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2024
    @Jessica Booker

I've got the Macfarlanes written exercise in a few days, which often includes a letter. In all the examples I have looked at people seem to never use any headings/sub-headings when writing these letters, even though they address multiple different legal issues. Is that normal?

I'm worried it will seem like I have no structure if I do it that way.

Do you have any "model" examples of a letter beyond just the formalities?
    Hey, where have you found examples from? Grateful if you could share deets!

RBUCL

Premium Member
    Jul 21, 2021
    Anyone else find the Mayer Brown verbal reasoning/ situational judgement tests quite hard? I feel like they tested just about every aspect of VR possible 😂 The time pressure doesn't help either

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Good luck for your interview!

I have just narrowed mines down to 3/4.

firstly, one of their key practice areas being of interest to me and how my experience links back to this with brief mention of a case and why it’s important to me.

Secondly, I spoke about the training contract structure, the lack of mandatory seats allowed for more exposure and let’s trainees have the responsibility to drive their career into multiple areas/ areas they’re interested in and how this could contribute to their high retention rate. Also added in about their multiple offices with an opportunity to do an international secondment and large intake for networking.

lastly, spoke about culture specifically diversity and their partnership with 10K interns shows their dedication to tackling diversity in the legal field with majority participants actually getting a TC.

@Jessica Booker would this be too much to say? I’ve narrowed it down from the 8 points I had before 😅
    8 points would have been far too many to explain. I would aim for no more than 3, maybe 4 at an absolute push. You can alway make your three points and then conclude by saying something like “ I am also interested in X, Y and Z, but the three main reasons are those I have discussed”. That always allows your interviewer to prove those areas further if they want to.

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    Does anyone have tips for the interview Q "tell me about a story you have been following" i'm having a difficult time doing anything but just summarising the article, how can I create links to the firm and explain the impact. I'm struggling to think of anything, would appreciate any rough ideas or guidance :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.