TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Nov 2, 2023
Hey everyone, not sure how to write this but i'm feeling super anxious and overwhelmed about an upcoming AC. It is my first ever one and just feels like there is a never ending amount of info i need to learn about commercial vocab, case studies, written exercises etc. I feel so much pressure as its the only i have received and its really getting to me. Also there is a lot of personal stuff going on meaning i already feel stretched thin. The AC is not till the 14th March, but because i work full time it just feels like all my free time is going to have to go towards prep, but im not feelng like ill be good enough in that time. Just feel sad tbh. Does anyone have any tips, having felt the same way before?

emily3827

Standard Member
Feb 2, 2024
I wouldn’t lose hope. I got the VI a couple days ago and I’ve seen people get it since as well. I would still hold out hope as I’ve not seen any ACs go out.
i did a WC AC yesterday but when i booked my slot there was literally only a singular day and time so i think they’re doing a slightly strange very slow process this time around

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Hey everyone, not sure how to write this but i'm feeling super anxious and overwhelmed about an upcoming AC. It is my first ever one and just feels like there is a never ending amount of info i need to learn about commercial vocab, case studies, written exercises etc. I feel so much pressure as its the only i have received and its really getting to me. Also there is a lot of personal stuff going on meaning i already feel stretched thin. The AC is not till the 14th March, but because i work full time it just feels like all my free time is going to have to go towards prep, but im not feelng like ill be good enough in that time. Just feel sad tbh. Does anyone have any tips, having felt the same way before?
    Yes I feel the exact same way!!! I have my first AC next week for a firm I really really want to work at but the prep is swallowing me alive. I’ve been drowning in commercial awareness that I feel like I’m applying to bloody vanguard or black rock😭

I have 3 AC’s in the space of a week from next week and whilst it’s an amazing opportunity the stress that comes with it is ridiculous.

I work full time too and after work I’m soo tired I wanna sleep but there’s no time to sleep.

I’ve practiced about 15 different competency questions and I still can’t remember what I need to say for them. I’ll have no notes so I dunno if I’ll survive the day tbh. I’ve spoken to previous candidates who have done AC’s for the firm and their advice has been great but it just sounds soo full on.

The exercises themselves seem like they’re trying to make you fail and I really don’t see me being able to talk to a partner for 25 minutes on a case study without forgetting something crucial and on top of all of that I have to remember their values and what they’re looking for a trainee!

I love law and would love to be a commercial lawyer and all the stress that comes with it but I also just want to sip cocktails on a beach 😭

You got this!! They wouldn’t give you an AC if they didn’t think you’re a good fit! Just put your all into the AC that’s all you can do, having nerves is a positive sign as it means you really want it! all you have to do is channel that ‘want’ to the partners and grad rec on the day :)

Last edited:

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    One more question re CRS. On their application form, I submitted first preference for the spring scheme and left second preference blank as it's very likely I won't be in the UK during the summer. Is this something that's likely to impact the outcome of my application post VI?
    No - this won’t be an issue.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Ash2323

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Nov 2, 2023
    Yes I feel the exact same way!!! I have my first AC next week for a firm I really really want to work at but the prep is swallowing me alive. I’ve been drowning in commercial awareness that I feel like I’m applying to bloody vanguard or black rock😭

I have 3 AC’s in the space of a week from next week and whilst it’s an amazing opportunity the stress that comes with it is ridiculous.

I work full time too and after work I’m soo tired I wanna sleep but there’s no time to sleep.

I’ve practiced about 15 different competency questions and I still can’t remember what I need to say for them. I’ll have no notes so I dunno if I’ll survive the day tbh. I’ve spoken to previous candidates who have done AC’s for the firm and their advice has been great but it just sounds soo full on.

The exercises themselves seem like they’re trying to make you fail and I really don’t see me being able to talk to a partner for 25 minutes on a case study without forgetting something crucial and on top of all of that I have to remember their values and what they’re looking for a trainee!

I love law and would love to be a commercial lawyer and all the stress that comes with it but I also just want to sip cocktails on a beach 😭

You got this!! They wouldn’t give you an AC if they didn’t think you’re a good fit! Just put your all into the AC that’s all you can do, having nerves is a positive sign as it means you really want it! all you have to do is channel that ‘want’ to the partners and grad rec on the day :)
    I think we are maybe putting ourselves down too much considering how much work it is! If you need to vent about it, feel very free to PM me i am all ears. Wishing you the very best of luck for your ACs, just going through and attending them is half the battle !

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.