TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

mfuturetrainee

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 21, 2021
    I know Iā€™ve practically taken over this forum today but quick question for a panicking human šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Iā€™ve just recorded myself answering ā€œwhy do you want to work for x firmā€

It came up to 6mins 10 seconds.

Would this come across as me yapping on? How long should you spend answering a question?
    If I smile and console the poor partner that Iā€™m nearly finished talking would that make it better? šŸ˜­
    Would my answer to ā€œwhy do you want to be a commercial lawyerā€ be short than the former

I watched it back and I thought I did a pretty good job would offered myself the TC tbhā€¦
    iā€™d say itā€™s a bit long to be speaking for that long imo but idk, I kind of try to keep it at 4 minutes (including the nerves will probably have u speaking faster as well)

also donā€™t console the partner, be confident in your delivery and make sure itā€™s not waffle, you want to come across as assured as possible would be my advice but regards to the timings there could be diff opinions on this!

• šŸ¤
    Reactions: bella98 and Legalstalker

eleven14og

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    I reapplied to two firms that I got through to vi last cycle and this year I can't pass app stage. I'm sooo confused. I have more experience, also did not copy and paste from last cycle (even amended why law a little bit). What are law firms expecting to see when a candidate reapplies? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would really appreciate your answers

• šŸ¤
    Reactions: axelbeugre and Bubbles

J53

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 12, 2024
    I know Iā€™ve practically taken over this forum today but quick question for a panicking human šŸ˜‚šŸ˜‚

Would this come across as me yapping on? How long should you spend answering a question?
    If I smile and console the poor partner that Iā€™m nearly finished talking would that make it better? šŸ˜­
    Would my answer to ā€œwhy do you want to be a commercial lawyerā€ be short than the former

I watched it back and I thought I did a pretty good job would offered myself the TC tbhā€¦
    I would say that is on the longer side, I don't know if you wrote this down or not, but that length sounds to me like a solid side of A4. It's an interview, in essence a conversation, not a one-way speech. Look at the reasons for x firm and see what bits you could cut down a bit, I would say 4 reasons why, with 30-45 seconds on each, a minute tops. I would say that's long enough to demonstrate your research and passion for the firm, but not so long that you ramble on. It's really good research though if you can talk for six minutes non-stop about one firm, knowledge of the firm is one of the key things they look for so well done.

• šŸ¤
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I reapplied to two firms that I got through to vi last cycle and this year I can't pass app stage. I'm sooo confused. I have more experience, also did not copy and paste from last cycle (even amended why law a little bit). What are law firms expecting to see when a candidate reapplies? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre would really appreciate your answers
    Unless they asked whether you had reapplied within the application, they wouldnā€™t necessarily know it was a reapplication, and therefore wouldnā€™t be lookin for anything any different to any other applicant.

If they have asked in the application, then they may focus on the evidence in your application since your last application and what is likely to have changed since then.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019

I would try and get it down to about half of this time if you can.

I suspect you are either

1) going off on too many tangents - keep your answer more focused on key points rather than lots of detail

2) trying to anticipating presenting other evidence in this answer - for instance, trying to show your skills rather than your motivations.

• šŸ¤
    Reactions: Legalstalker

midnightsky990422

Star Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 10, 2023
    Does anyone have any tips for the Gateley legal interactive assessment? Is there a maths aspect involved? I'm terrible at maths and have been sent an invite to do the assessment, I've been putting it off!
    Hey yes there is but apparently the test is not timed so you can take your time and work through the questions at your pace (I think! Iā€™m yet to take the test but this is what Iā€™ve heard). Iā€™m rubbish at maths too but Iā€™ve been practicing questions on Graduates First and since itā€™s untimely I think Iā€™ll be alright. Iā€™ve made a cheat sheet with simple methods on to help me through it!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I would try and get it down to about half of this time if you can.

I suspect you are either

1) going off on too many tangents - keep your answer more focused on key points rather than lots of detail

2) trying to anticipating presenting other evidence in this answer - for instance, trying to show your skills rather than your motivations.
    I think itā€™s more the latter, thanks a lot Jessica!! :)

Would you saving my experience, skills and achievements for ā€œwhy meā€ if that were to come up and deals and awards for of the firm for ā€œwhy us and not our competitorsā€ kind of question?

I donā€™t want to anticipate a question and it doesnā€™t come up and Iā€™ve got soo my more to give but I donā€™t want to say soo much that theyā€™re scared to ask another question as Iā€™ll just talk šŸ˜­

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I think itā€™s more the latter, thanks a lot Jessica!! :)

Would you saving my experience, skills and achievements for ā€œwhy meā€ if that were to come up and deals and awards for of the firm for ā€œwhy us and not our competitorsā€ kind of question?

I donā€™t want to anticipate a question and it doesnā€™t come up and Iā€™ve got soo my more to give but I donā€™t want to say soo much that theyā€™re scared to ask another question as Iā€™ll just talk šŸ˜­
    You can reference experiences but you just donā€™t need the detail of what you did in those experience. Explain the correlation to the firm you are applying to rather than the detail of your experience.

Similarly, I sense you are going into detail about the deals or awards. You donā€™t need to do this (they know what they are better than you do), but they need to know why the deal or award is relevant to you and your application.

Iā€™d also focus on three key reasons for you are applying to that firm rather than lots of reasons - pick the most relevant to you and this will focus your answer down too.

Reactions: legalgrinch

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    You can reference experiences but you just donā€™t need the detail of what you did in those experience. Explain the correlation to the firm you are applying to rather than the detail of your experience.

Similarly, I sense you are going into detail about the deals or awards. You donā€™t need to do this (they know what they are better than you do), but they need to know why the deal or award is relevant to you and your application.

Iā€™d also focus on three key reasons for you are applying to that firm rather than lots of reasons - pick the most relevant to you and this will focus your answer down too.
    Today I thought about my answer for why Hogan Lovells for my upcoming interview, I noted three reasons. Firstly, the wide range of practice areas offered by the firm would allow me to have a well-rounded experience and make an informed decision regarding where I want to quality.

As the second reason I talk about a particular practice area that interests me (explaining why), mentioning the firm has a strong expertise in this area. Lastly, I value the firmā€™s strong commitment to D&I and its active engagement in pro bono work.

Do you think my initial reason might seem too general, given that many firms boast a broad spectrum of practice areas? This is one of the reasons why I applied, but I'm concerned about giving the impression of limited research.

• šŸ¤
    • šŸ†
    Reactions: legalgrinch and Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Today I thought about my answer for why Hogan Lovells for my upcoming interview, I noted three reasons. Firstly, the wide range of practice areas offered by the firm would allow me to have a well-rounded experience and make an informed decision regarding where I want to quality.

As the second reason I talk about a particular practice area that interests me (explaining why), mentioning the firm has a strong expertise in this area. Lastly, I value the firmā€™s strong commitment to D&I and its active engagement in pro bono work.

Do you think my initial reason might seem too general, given that many firms boast a broad spectrum of practice areas? This is one of the reasons why I applied, but I'm concerned about giving the impression of limited research.
    Good luck for your interview!

I have just narrowed mines down to 3/4.

firstly, one of their key practice areas being of interest to me and how my experience links back to this with brief mention of a case and why itā€™s important to me.

Secondly, I spoke about the training contract structure, the lack of mandatory seats allowed for more exposure and letā€™s trainees have the responsibility to drive their career into multiple areas/ areas theyā€™re interested in and how this could contribute to their high retention rate. Also added in about their multiple offices with an opportunity to do an international secondment and large intake for networking.

lastly, spoke about culture specifically diversity and their partnership with 10K interns shows their dedication to tackling diversity in the legal field with majority participants actually getting a TC.

@Jessica Booker would this be too much to say? Iā€™ve narrowed it down from the 8 points I had before šŸ˜…

• šŸ¤
    • šŸ†
    Reactions: legalgrinch and bella98

Apple

Esteemed Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 23, 2023
    @Jessica Booker

I've got the Macfarlanes written exercise in a few days, which often includes a letter. In all the examples I have looked at people seem to never use any headings/sub-headings when writing these letters, even though they address multiple different legal issues. Is that normal?

I'm worried it will seem like I have no structure if I do it that way.

Do you have any "model" examples of a letter beyond just the formalities?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.