TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

cattlawapps324

Star Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2024
Yes I feel the exact same way!!! I have my first AC next week for a firm I really really want to work at but the prep is swallowing me alive. I’ve been drowning in commercial awareness that I feel like I’m applying to bloody vanguard or black rock😭

I have 3 AC’s in the space of a week from next week and whilst it’s an amazing opportunity the stress that comes with it is ridiculous.

I work full time too and after work I’m soo tired I wanna sleep but there’s no time to sleep.

I’ve practiced about 15 different competency questions and I still can’t remember what I need to say for them. I’ll have no notes so I dunno if I’ll survive the day tbh. I’ve spoken to previous candidates who have done AC’s for the firm and their advice has been great but it just sounds soo full on.

The exercises themselves seem like they’re trying to make you fail and I really don’t see me being able to talk to a partner for 25 minutes on a case study without forgetting something crucial and on top of all of that I have to remember their values and what they’re looking for a trainee!

I love law and would love to be a commercial lawyer and all the stress that comes with it but I also just want to sip cocktails on a beach 😭

You got this!! They wouldn’t give you an AC if they didn’t think you’re a good fit! Just put your all into the AC that’s all you can do, having nerves is a positive sign as it means you really want it! all you have to do is channel that ‘want’ to the partners and grad rec on the day :)
PS. congrats btw - that's awesome!! Hope you smash them!

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    When did you start prepping for the ACs if you don't mind me asking? Do you reckon a week and a half is enough?
    I got my first AC invite 2 weeks ago but I was on holiday abroad for 10 days so prep was limited. Came back a few days ago and have been non stop. I think if I too much time I’ll do too much and not ficus on key things. I think a week and a half could be enough if it’s your only one and you apply yourself to the research. I mean I got given an AC today for next week 😔

cattlawapps324

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2024
    I got my first AC invite 2 weeks ago but I was on holiday abroad for 10 days so prep was limited. Came back a few days ago and have been non stop. I think if I too much time I’ll do too much and not ficus on key things. I think a week and a half could be enough if it’s your only one and you apply yourself to the research. I mean I got given an AC today for next week 😔
    thanksss! good luck, hope it goes well 😇

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    I know I’ve practically taken over this forum today but quick question for a panicking human 😂😂

I’ve just recorded myself answering “why do you want to work for x firm”

It came up to 6mins 10 seconds.

Would this come across as me yapping on? How long should you spend answering a question?
    If I smile and console the poor partner that I’m nearly finished talking would that make it better? 😭
    Would my answer to “why do you want to be a commercial lawyer” be short than the former

I watched it back and I thought I did a pretty good job would offered myself the TC tbh…

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.