TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
Is anyone else feeling a bit annoyed with the VIs? I am sure they are useful tools for the firms to use and choose between the applicants but it's so bizzare that you go through all that application writing process, write paragraphs on why x firm and then the x firm turns around and says, no summarise that in one minute and stare into a tiny white dot on your screen so we can decide if we want to give you a chance. I think I am getting moody because I have had too much to prepare lately 😭 and please no-one tell me why this is a good way for the firm to test how we can think under pressure or be succinct. I am aware. I just wish this isn't how they tested those skills. Also, finding a quiet spot when you live with others and finding a room to record yourself in on campus is a chore and a half.

I don't mean to be negative, but some of these questions are looooong and not something you can properly answer in 60 seconds. So what exactly are they testing? Anyway rant over, I will stop being negative now.
I am feeling so fed up with VIs, I cannot believe that I keep writing good apps but then fail VIs. They feel so dry and anxiety inducing. I am feeling very defeated at the moment. I don’t know how am supposed to write another application.

Petallove1

Legendary Member
Feb 8, 2023
I am feeling so fed up with VIs, I cannot believe that I keep writing good apps but then fail VIs. They feel so dry and anxiety inducing. I am feeling very defeated at the moment. I don’t know how am supposed to write another application.
I SO get this - I’ve gotten to a point with second stage SJT/WG/VIs now where I’m going to compile a list of boutique city firms that don’t use the same app structure bc sometimes those second stages make me feel so defeatist as it seems like such an arbitrary way of getting rid of candidates when I feel as though I’m a good candidate with relevant experience. I so understand that with a huge volume of apps a lot of firms feel they have to take this approach but from a personal POV it makes the app process v anxiety inducing - particularly on top of working full time hours at a law firm already lol

S87

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 4, 2018
I SO get this - I’ve gotten to a point with second stage SJT/WG/VIs now where I’m going to compile a list of boutique city firms that don’t use the same app structure bc sometimes those second stages make me feel so defeatist as it seems like such an arbitrary way of getting rid of candidates when I feel as though I’m a good candidate with relevant experience. I so understand that with a huge volume of apps a lot of firms feel they have to take this approach but from a personal POV it makes the app process v anxiety inducing - particularly on top of working full time hours at a law firm already lol
Say it louder for the people in the back. I work full time and carve the time to do this extra work means a lot of sacrifices. I am happy to do it but then let’s meet half way guys!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.