TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

emee

Jan 29, 2024
Thanks for the replies! As a non-law student, I am struggling to apply to paralegal jobs given I have limited experience in commercial law. It is hard as law firms want legal experience, but to get this experience I need to already have had previous legal work. Apologies if this doesn't make sense and all advice welcomed!
Hey I’m a non-law student and felt the same when looking at paralegal roles because a lot of them required law degrees. I would look at legal assistant roles - you get to do slightly similar work, learn a lot and they are more open to non-law. I’m an assistant at a MG firm and really enjoy it!

Reactions: lawtrainee

emee

Jan 29, 2024
Hey I’m a non-law student and felt the same when looking at paralegal roles because a lot of them required law degrees. I would look at legal assistant roles - you get to do slightly similar work, learn a lot and they are more open to non-law. I’m an assistant at a MG firm and really enjoy it!
sorry I meant non-law *graduate - still clearly in the student mindset haha

Reactions: lawtrainee

lawtrainee

Esteemed Member
Oct 22, 2023
Thanks so much! I will definitely have a look at this :) Has anyone taken a gap year to travel and then come back and started applying again? Would really like to do this, but unsure if it will make it harder to catch up

kcr

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Oct 21, 2022
Those who have concluded this cycle without a TC or VS, what do you plan to do whilst presumably waiting for the next cycle? Also, those last cycle who didn't get anything, what did you do in the meantime?
I was unsuccessful after two ACs last year and ended up doing a masters 😅 it’s definitely not necessary though, I mainly did it for personal interest rather than to help me land a job

MayaM0921

Premium Member
Jan 17, 2023
Hey,

I do not see any issue with it providing that you explain how you find the contact, who you are and why you are emailing. I do not know if the firm will be okay with it or not though, so I would potentially ask graduate recruitment if you can do that.

I personally tried to speak to future trainees and trainees I connected with on LinkedIn, I never used emails (also because i assumed they would be busy and they would have ignored the email easily).

I hope that is helpful!
Thanks so much for the reply! Would recommend connecting with trainees as opposed to associates? @axelbeugre

Last edited:
Reactions: axelbeugre

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Thanks for the replies! As a non-law student, I am struggling to apply to paralegal jobs given I have limited experience in commercial law. It is hard as law firms want legal experience, but to get this experience I need to already have had previous legal work. Apologies if this doesn't make sense and all advice welcomed!
Just a heads up, the CPS is looking for paralegals at the min. It’s worth shooting a shot. Pays extremely well and the experience is just as good if not better than paralegal work for a commercial law firm.

Erspencer

Aug 4, 2023
I second this, I got a job in a tiny high street firm as a legal assistant and then used this to get my role as a paralegal in much better prestigious firm where I work in commercial litigation.
I would suggest even looking at PA role inside law firms as they pay a lot more than paralegal roles and the working hours tend to be better.

Reactions: Sharon Wu and emee

abnajj

Standard Member
Jul 15, 2023
Hi! law graduate here, but perhaps I can offer some advice having been funemployed for 9 months since graduating from my masters last January.

The legal job market is incredibly tough, regardless of whether you are a law or non-law student. I experienced so many rejections because I lacked experience and it was disheartening since that’s exactly what I was searching for. However, what did help was making the process a job in itself. I set out to write 1-3 job applications in the morning or evening whilst juggling my hospitality job and firm applications - this helped me keep on track of things. I also called as many recruiters as possible, built a rapport, and kept in contact with them should any ‘entry level’ role arise. Alongside this, I applied everywhere (Linkedin, Indeed, Reed etc.) to increase my chances and also called local firms which may not have advertised any roles. It was a long process but I found that keeping on top of it, crying when you need to (lol), and moving forward to the next role helps - eventually I landed a role and so will you!

Wishing you the best of luck in the process - keep persevering!!

emee

Jan 29, 2024
I second this, I got a job in a tiny high street firm as a legal assistant and then used this to get my role as a paralegal in much better prestigious firm where I work in commercial litigation.
I would suggest even looking at PA role inside law firms as they pay a lot more than paralegal roles and the working hours tend to be better.
Completely agree - I personally have realised if you’re capable of legal assistant role, you’re capable of PA role. Pay is way better and you get to work with more senior people.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.