TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hello, I've recently been offered a vacation scheme. The scheme consists of two cohorts in the summer. The first cohort begins immediately after the conclusion of my exams, and I'm considering taking a break in between. Would there be any difference in terms of opportunities for training contracts between the first and second cohorts? Are they more likely to offer additional training contracts to the first cohort?
This is firm dependent but usually I would say no as law firms will offer the training contract to people they really like and if you have been offered a vacation scheme offer, you are more than capable to convert it regardless of the dates you choose.

Having said that, there are certain firms were the conversion rates for winter and spring seems to be higher than the summer ones so if i were you I would try to reach out to a future trainee at the firm or someone who recently completed a scheme there and ask this question before asking the firm to move dates.

In this way, you will have the exact piece of information you need and it will be more accurate.

Reactions: lawgurl90

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
There's no careers events section which is why I am utilising the work experience section.

Are webinars not considered work experience in the same way that open days may be? If not, I could briefly mention them in the "why our firm/ why this office" applicstion question instead but the word count is 250 words so it's super tight.
I would mention them in the Why the firm question as I think it fits better. I would agree with Jessica and say that generally webinars are not to be put in the work experience section but should be used as a supporting argument as to why you find a specific firm/practice area or client very interesting.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
Nov 27, 2023
I would mention them in the Why the firm question as I think it fits better. I would agree with Jessica and say that generally webinars are not to be put in the work experience section but should be used as a supporting argument as to why you find a specific firm/practice area or client very interesting.
That really helps and I am glad I asked you and Jessica before submitting my application haha

I feel that I will struggle a lot with the word count being 250 words and within that limit, I have to explain what areas I find interesting, why the firm, why the specific office. I think I am trying to include too much and I don't know which is the most relevant/useful and which less. Would it be possible to have you quickly look at my response?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi, I had a question about how much is too much to include in an application form. I am writing an application form and the work experience section has pretty much unlimited entries. I currently have 12 entries (I have grouped together voluntary roles and open days/workshops). Is this too much?

Would it also be wrong to include extracurriculars under the work experience section given there isn't a question asking to include those?

Thanks!
I personally do not think there is a limit but I would not include every single experience I did but only the most relevant ones and the ones I know I can talk about more extensively. Putting so many experiences will not be as beneficial in my opinion. I used to out a maximum of 6 to 7 experiences for reference.

You can put your extracurricular experiences in the work experience section, however I have never done this. I always thought it was better to put professional experiences there and talk about my extracurricular experiences in the answers/interview stage, but I know people who did put their extracurricular experiences in the work experience section and they were successful too so it does not matter.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
That really helps and I am glad I asked you and Jessica before submitting my application haha

I feel that I will struggle a lot with the word count being 250 words and within that limit, I have to explain what areas I find interesting, why the firm, why the specific office. I think I am trying to include too much and I don't know which is the most relevant/useful and which less. Would it be possible to have you quickly look at my response?
Unfortunately we cannot look at individual responses but I think that you should focus on explaining your 2/3 reasons why you are attracted to the firm and the specific office and relate them back to you. These are the crucial things that cannot be missing in your answer.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hello, I've recently been offered a vacation scheme. The scheme consists of two cohorts in the summer. The first cohort begins immediately after the conclusion of my exams, and I'm considering taking a break in between. Would there be any difference in terms of opportunities for training contracts between the first and second cohorts? Are they more likely to offer additional training contracts to the first cohort?
No difference between the two and so if the second scheme works better for you state your preference for this. However, if you can still do the first scheme, explain this is possible but that you would prefer the second.

Reactions: lawgurl90

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
There's no careers events section which is why I am utilising the work experience section.

Are webinars not considered work experience in the same way that open days may be? If not, I could briefly mention them in the "why our firm/ why this office" applicstion question instead but the word count is 250 words so it's super tight.
Personally I would avoid including the webinars given you have so many other work experience entries.

It sounds like you are trying to include everything rather than what the firm is asking for. For opportunities in Dubai they may not care so much for careers events as there is likely to be far fewer than in the U.K.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019

Keep your points limited to the most relevant aspects. For instance, if you have done a webinar with the firm’s Dubai office, it will be much more relevant to mention this than if it is for another firm or for the same firm but another office.

Try to think what has influenced you the most rather than trying to showcase everything.

cwhite233

Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 26, 2020
Hi everyone! I was wondering whether anyone had any advice on the interview question 'what other firms are you applying to?' Of course I will be honest here but I do think it's important to list firms that are similar to that firm in some way (ideally in a way that corresponds to why I am interested in that particular firm), but I'm afraid of mentioning too broad an array of firms here (eg mentioning a US firm when the firm interviewing me is a UK firm). Does any one have any advice on how best to approach this question?

Reactions: axelbeugre

sxw517

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Does anybody else apply mainly to Direct TCs and feel like they might be putting themselves at a disadvantage in doing so?

By the end of the cycle, I will have applied to more than double in TC apps, when compared to VS apps, and I just wonder whether I'm shooting myself in the foot.

I only apply to VSs really at firms that only recruit through that route, as I have a FT job.

When a firm says on their website that the Direct TC route is for those who cannot feasibly complete the VS, would already having a job put me in that bracket, or would they be wondering why I haven't applied for their VS?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.