TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

illegallyblonde

Jan 16, 2024
Hi!

I would like a little advice as I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am not sure if this has been asked before.

I have already secured a VS for a firm in the summer with a firm I loved, but I have an AC coming up very soon for another firm. If I was successful at this AC, I would not be able to do both vacation schemes as they overlap by quite a few days. Ideally, I would still like to go to this one as it would be a great experience but I am becoming quite anxious about it and it is causing me quite a bit of stress preparing for it, which has got me questioning whether this AC is worth the stress if I can't even go? I want to avoid sacrificing my uni grades.

It is one of my favourite firms, but nowhere near the firm that I have secured the VS for (I have visited the offices of both firms). On their website, it says you must be available for the full dates, which does suggest that I won't have a way to do both. Is it worth emailing and asking them whether there would be?

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Would you just attend the AC anyway and just cope with the stress for a while even if it is a little pointless?

Thank you! :)

Aga123+

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2021
    Hi!

I would like a little advice as I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am not sure if this has been asked before.

I have already secured a VS for a firm in the summer with a firm I loved, but I have an AC coming up very soon for another firm. If I was successful at this AC, I would not be able to do both vacation schemes as they overlap by quite a few days. Ideally, I would still like to go to this one as it would be a great experience but I am becoming quite anxious about it and it is causing me quite a bit of stress preparing for it, which has got me questioning whether this AC is worth the stress if I can't even go? I want to avoid sacrificing my uni grades.

It is one of my favourite firms, but nowhere near the firm that I have secured the VS for (I have visited the offices of both firms). On their website, it says you must be available for the full dates, which does suggest that I won't have a way to do both. Is it worth emailing and asking them whether there would be?

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Would you just attend the AC anyway and just cope with the stress for a while even if it is a little pointless?

Thank you! :)

Others might have different opinions but here's mine: I think you should think about the stress that it's causing you - while it's great to have two offers for a vacation scheme, it is not worth being anxious or stressed over - especially if you will still have to pick one.

During the last cycle, I secured a vac scheme at a US firm but then later progressed to the AC stage of another US firm, I felt really stressed about prepping for this AC because even if I got it I couldn't do both. I decided to go ahead anyway but still couldn't just couldn't shake the nerves. I ended up not doing very well in the interview or presentation. and was rejected post-AC.

I felt a little annoyed with myself - not because I was rejected - but because I had so much uni work to catch up on and had let myself get stressed for honestly no good reason.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.