Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hey all, I have my very first AC coming up and not sure what to expect in terms of how the day is organized, since it's only 2 assessments but the AC is over 5 hours long. Are there other stuff you do during an AC? Pls excuse my very elementary question lol, would love any insight on the structure of the day in general!
Also the AC I'm doing is virtual b/c I'm based outside the UK, if that changes things.

@axelbeugre would love to hear your thoughts!
It maybe that there is some prep time built into the assessments, that there are gaps during the day so you aren’t doing assessments back to back, or potentially some opportunities to network with trainees.

Reactions: legalgirlie

Fd321

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
Mar 3, 2023
I agree that it wouldn't be surprising if there have been interviews based on the info on the website - it used to say that they review and schedule as applications come in but I'm unsure if they've changed it. I only asked because every "have u heard from withers" post here always has a bunch of dislike/disagree reactions (aside from being Very Concerned my application slipped into their junk folder, of course!).
I see someone just received an offer! But yes it is frustrating not knowing. When did you apply and for which scheme?

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi!

I would like a little advice as I am in a bit of a dilemma. I am not sure if this has been asked before.

I have already secured a VS for a firm in the summer with a firm I loved, but I have an AC coming up very soon for another firm. If I was successful at this AC, I would not be able to do both vacation schemes as they overlap by quite a few days. Ideally, I would still like to go to this one as it would be a great experience but I am becoming quite anxious about it and it is causing me quite a bit of stress preparing for it, which has got me questioning whether this AC is worth the stress if I can't even go? I want to avoid sacrificing my uni grades.

It is one of my favourite firms, but nowhere near the firm that I have secured the VS for (I have visited the offices of both firms). On their website, it says you must be available for the full dates, which does suggest that I won't have a way to do both. Is it worth emailing and asking them whether there would be?

Has anyone been in a situation like this? Would you just attend the AC anyway and just cope with the stress for a while even if it is a little pointless?

Thank you! :)
I think if there is little chance of you not accepting this VS over the one you already have, that you shouldn’t attend.

It’s only when you are truly weighing up different offers that I think you should still explore the different firms.

But everything you have said sounds like there would be little benefit of you going to the AC, and that it could potentially just have a slight negative impact on your wellbeing if you did.

Nine

Standard Member
Feb 15, 2024
@Jessica Booker @axelbeugre

Hi Jessica and Axel! (+ anyone else who’d like to give advice)

Unfortunately a firm I really like has PFO’d me for their vac schemes but I know I can reapply for their TC’s and I’m hopeful about it - What changes do you think I should make to show my continued interest to work at the firm? My rejection was post VI so I think there might be something to do with that given it was my first VI. Thank you!!

Reactions: axelbeugre

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Is there any general view on how grad rec weight their decisions on AC's? I performed really well in the interview but pretty average in the written task, not bad but certainly not my best work. I wonder if generally the interview aspect is weighted heavier or if anyone has any insights about still getting a VS offer after a pretty mediocre written exercise! Any info would be great, thanks.
No one will know this but the firm in question unfortunately, as it will always vary from firm to firm.

I would expect there to be a general benchmark in each exercise that you will have to meet, but that some exercises will assess similar competencies or strengths, and so you could under perform in one competency in one exercise, but perform much more highly in the same competency in another exercise and it balances out.

The other thing I would stress is until you get the feedback, your own reflections on your performance might not be accurate! Sometimes candidates are their own worst critic and think it is a bad performance, when it actually isn’t!

corporatebarbie12345

Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 1, 2021
hello @Jessica Booker ! I did an AC a couple weeks ago and the firm said they’d get back to me within a week but I haven’t heard yet. What could this mean? Should I be preparing myself for a pfo or does it mean they liked me enough not to pfo straight away but not enough to offer straight away?

Should I email to follow up or wait patiently for their reply? I don’t want to come across as impatient!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.