Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker when completing an application, it is a good idea to mention a legal work experience/vacation scheme opportunity that you have coming up at another law firm? The firm is in a different region to where I would be applying for TC's but also in the same region as another that I am to for a VC.

I know that completing legal work experience can be helpful but I have not yet done it even though it has been confirmed. Should I mention it and how could I go about this because it was somewhat due to a connection that I have at the firm putting in a good word for me in addition to my CV which is also pretty good :)
You can mention it briefly - you can’t really leverage the experience having not done it, but you can explain it in a way to show you are pursuing the career or a type of firm.

Reactions: Sunshinepink

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
Sep 13, 2023
Nah, I wouldn't worry. I think it depends on the firm. In my case, I think they just didn't want me tbh. Which I understand, they had a lot of applicants for less than 10 spaces. I think penalising a candidate because of a couple of questions is just ridiculous. I interviewed at a MC firm back in time and I went over the 2 min limit a few times and still got the vac scheme. I think you'll be fine. Good luck!
Agreed. It depends how you go over. by that I mean, the way you present your waffle it’s too long.

If you take a long time to say something quite straightforward it’s not great. You seem like you’re searching for an answer when you shouldn’t be. If the story requires detail though and it is very interesting (and relevant) they don’t mind.

I did an AC recently and started off quite concise and to the point. They asked me follow up questions because there was more to know about what I said. When I started to add more detail however, it helped me a lot and instead of asking questions they were far more engaged with I said.

I don’t think you should be strict with how long you speak. But you should know when you should be detailed and how long that can take. And appreciate that it can go over a little

RonRod13

Distinguished Member
Nov 18, 2023
No? W&C are full-service in London and many US firms in London aren't
okay? That doesn't mean that W&C's competitors are only law firms with a full-service practice in London. Law firms are constantly competing with each other all the time for deals, clients, talent etc.

The fact that W&C is full-service in London is a way for W&C to DIFFERENTIATE itself from their competitors. Its a way for W&C to innovate and set itself apart from other law firms. It does not mean that W&C will only now face competition from other full-service London firms.

But of course this is just my view, by all means, I'm welcome to any thoughts and further comments

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.