TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Giorgos

Star Member
Premium Member
Jul 5, 2023
Do you mean interview with partners, associates or graduate recruitment right? If so, yes, you are expected to ask questions at the end. If you mean a classic video interview then no.

In terms of questions, it really depends on you and what you want to know about the firm or the interviewers. I personally always asked about their favourite deal or case they worked on, their favourite client, why they decided to pursue a career in law.
Yes, its a video interview with graduate recruitment so would the questions have to be tailored to graduate recruitment or can they be about the firm in general?

Reactions: axelbeugre

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I assume interviews have already been given out for NRF so no point thinking about it now. I had all of mine in the middle 2/3 to the left and 2 to the right. Didn't get an interview (awaiting rejection email, although idk if they send those).
I definitely wouldn’t assume that all interviews have been given out. I’ve only seen 2 people on the forum say they’ve received an interview and I know a lot of people applied for NRF.

Very likely another batch will follow.

And I really wouldn’t put too much focus on the test either, we have no idea what’s measured so we’d all just drive ourselves insane if we were comparing it who has X amount to the right/left/middle.

LawJourney101

Standard Member
Feb 26, 2024
On the NRF test, I highly doubt it's material how many of the results were "left" or "right". Rather, it will matter which specific attributes we landed on either side and how that matches the attributes NRF are looking for
I only applied to NRF honestly, as it was the only firm with apps still open (Just decided to do a conversion), but I am surprised that these are the criteria they use to hire trainees. My left ones were related to risk I think.. not sure though as I haven't checked since the test.

LawJourney101

Standard Member
Feb 26, 2024
I only applied to NRF honestly, as it was the only firm with apps still open (Just decided to do a conversion), but I am surprised that these are the criteria they use to hire trainees. My left ones were related to risk I think.. not sure though as I haven't checked since the test.
I definitely wouldn’t assume that all interviews have been given out. I’ve only seen 2 people on the forum say they’ve received an interview and I know a lot of people applied for NRF.

Very likely another batch will follow.

And I really wouldn’t put too much focus on the test either, we have no idea what’s measured so we’d all just drive ourselves insane if we were comparing it who has X amount to the right/left/middle.
In that case ignore what I have written. Very much new to the process.

ayiiii05

Distinguished Member
Nov 10, 2023
Do you know what the left and right means in their test?it seems like most of mine were in the middle?
From what it said on the feedback report, left or right means you exhibit a quality differently from other people, I assumed left meant less and right meant more but I could be wrong- but by what other people are saying on the forum we shouldn’t focus too much on this and employers will just check to see if our report matches the qualities they’re looking for!

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
I'm really confuse about how they use the test to conclude the candidates' quality, it seems like the test only has the games.
There is a science behind it, and the firm must believe it's a reliable indicator of the personality traits they're looking for.

I'm not a fan of it but don't think many firms offer it anymore if I'm honest, so easy enough to avoid 😂

Reactions: ayiiii05

hehostressed

Jan 2, 2021
Did anyone apply to regional firms like Browne Jacobson? I’m looking at the application and I’m unsure if I’m meant to apply my previous job skills to the firm - regarding please give details of your responsibilities and achievements and how they support your application?

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
There is a science behind it, and the firm must believe it's a reliable indicator of the personality traits they're looking for.

I'm not a fan of it but don't think many firms offer it anymore if I'm honest, so easy enough to avoid 😂
Yeah, and the science behind had a sample size of 100-200 students. I personally think it's ridiculous to use these tests, as some of the people that always failed at the WG or other time-wasting assessments are now associates at top firms where they didn't have to do it.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
What are the best questions to ask at the end of a partner interview?
Genuine questions you want the answer to that will help you find out more about the topics you are intrigued to learn more about in regards to the firm or why people work there.

Make sure they are not obvious questions (e.g. things that you can easily find on the website) - often questions that ask for people experiences or opinions on topics that are important to you are good approaches to take.

laby201

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 28, 2021
Yeah, and the science behind had a sample size of 100-200 students. I personally think it's ridiculous to use these tests, as some of the people that always failed at the WG or other time-wasting assessments are now associates at top firms where they didn't have to do it.
It's difficult, but I disagree on the WG point as performing highly in it directly correlates to your ability to critically analyse well and how you process information, which are key skills for a lawyer. There's a reason why firms like Freshfields, Clifford Chance, and Hogan Lovells all use it.

I'm not saying you couldn't be an associate at a top firm by getting an average score in the WG, but the rationale behind firms using it is logical at least.

Reactions: ayiiii05

hanz123

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Sep 16, 2022
Genuine questions you want the answer to that will help you find out more about the topics you are intrigued to learn more about in regards to the firm or why people work there.

Make sure they are not obvious questions (e.g. things that you can easily find on the website) - often questions that ask for people experiences or opinions on topics that are important to you are good approaches to take.
Thank you Jessica!

LehmanBrothersRiskManagementIntern

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Aug 23, 2023
It's difficult, but I disagree on the WG point as performing highly in it directly correlates to your ability to critically analyse well and how you process information, which are key skills for a lawyer. There's a reason why firms like Freshfields, Clifford Chance, and Hogan Lovells all use it.

I'm not saying you couldn't be an associate at a top firm by getting an average score in the WG, but the rationale behind firms using it is logical at least.
As there are plenty of peer-reviewed papers showing the usefulness of the WG, there are also plenty of papers showing that the WG is deeply flawed. I know someone who graduated with a first in PPE and received the academic prize for the highest mark. He always used to score 20-25 out of 40. I don't think this person lacks critical thinking skills, as his degree was PPE. He also got a TC at a well-known firm.

I was also told by grad rec from the firm where I did the vac scheme that they use the WG to filter out the number of app (for example, Linklaters rejecting people with 38/40 and taking people with 25/40).

However, I agree with your point about firms using to measure your critical thinking skills. But that doesn't necessary mean that the WG is fully reliable. There is plenty of evidence which points to its flaws. Also the sample size is too small to infer that it is indeed a reliable tool of recruitment. I simply think that it's used to cut down apps. I have been told this by grad rec, associates, etc. But again, it comes down to your own views on it,

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    As there are plenty of peer-reviewed papers showing the usefulness of the WG, there are also plenty of papers showing that the WG is deeply flawed. I know someone who graduated with a first in PPE and received the academic prize for the highest mark. He always used to score 20-25 out of 40. I don't think this person lacks critical thinking skills, as his degree was PPE. He also got a TC at a well-known firm.

I was also told by grad rec from the firm where I did the vac scheme that they use the WG to filter out the number of app (for example, Linklaters rejecting people with 38/40 and taking people with 25/40).

However, I agree with your point about firms using to measure your critical thinking skills. But that doesn't necessary mean that the WG is fully reliable. There is plenty of evidence which points to its flaws. Also the sample size is too small to infer that it is indeed a reliable tool of recruitment. I simply think that it's used to cut down apps. I have been told this by grad rec, associates, etc. But again, it comes down to your own views on it,
    Do you know the reason they rejecting people with 38 and taking who with 25?

yasmars

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 1, 2021

Hmm I get your point, but I think doing well in my law degree directly correlates to my ability to critically analyse well and process information etc, not a test that purposefully tries to trip people up. Firms use these tests to filter the 1000s of applications they get.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.