TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Nah they’ll leave you a voicemail to call them back :) Last year GR left me a voicemail and I was able to schedule a time which was best suited for me. They’ll then email you a confirmation of your interview slot and the GR partner who is interviewing you.

also, don’t be afraid to book your interview at the latest slot available (if that is the most con for you). My interview was on the last day they were holding interviews and I heard back two days later with an offer via email
@futuretrainee2024 this is exactly what I was about to write, they will leave you a voicemail and if you do not call them back they will probably email you after a couple of tries but you should not worry about it. If they decide to make you an offer, you will get it regardless of whether you respond immediately or the day after, they understand that people are busy. @s2203 thank you for for your exhaustive answer.

jnice

Distinguished Member
Nov 19, 2020
What are the best questions to ask at the end of a partner interview?
One thing I always do is I listen to how the partner introduces themselves about the practice area/sector they work in if I do not know who is interviewing me before the interview. If I do know, I research them and ask tailored questions again regarding their work. But don’t ask questions for the sake of asking them - if you don’t have an ounce of interest in something, dont ask as this will be disgenious. Hope this helps!

clo224455

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 2, 2023
    A general question regarding timeframes for accepting training contract offers after a vac scheme.

If I have a vac scheme with firm A who offers me a TC before another Vac scheme with another firm that I prefer but the vac scheme hasn't even commenced yet, would I be have enough time to do the vac scheme with firm B and then consider both options, or would the offer 'expire' for the TC from firm A?

Thanks in advance

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Ghassen

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 24, 2022
    Just looking for some advice: I have a VS place and a TC interview coming up. I'm waiting to hear back from a few firms but they will likely be rejections. I'm not sure if I should continue to send applications or take a break and focus on ensuring that the VS/TC interview converts into a TC offer.

Is anybody in a similar situation/has dealt with a similar situation in the past? Your insights are highly valuable :)
    I am in a similar position. I have a SVS coming up, and two direct TC ACs. Also, I have a few applications left to hear back post VI or post app. However, I decided to apply to the direct TC cycle, because you really never know. I knew few people who couldn’t convert 4 VS in one cycle, and others who failed many ACs. So my approach is: the more you apply, the better chance you have, no matter the position you are in rn.
    Hope this helps.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Cynthia14

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Aug 2, 2023
    A lot of firms suggest to not reapply to the direct training contract route if you have been rejected the same here unless substantive change to your application has been made, as in you have done an interesting work experience.

I personally would not apply because your chances of succeeding with this firm might be a big slim. I was in your same shoes with W&C last year before receiving my training contract offer from another firm I was considering applying after the video interview stage but I got the advice to not apply to the direct training contract route as nothing in my application would have changed apart adding a vacation scheme from a US firm. They tend to reserve the spots for people who cannot attend the scheme or who work full-time, understandably so.

What I would do if I were in your shoes is speaking to people who were successful in the process this year, ask them how they passed the video interview stage and make sure that you implement these tips and suggestions in the next cycle.

Unless you have had other vacation scheme offers that you can put in your application, I personally would not apply again as it is really difficult to succeed with those especially if you got already rejected the same application cycle, since your competition will have the edge of not being in your position if that makes sense.

However, if you feel like you still have a good chance then I would recommend keep learning about the firm through their LinkedIn and social media pages as well as the website, speaking with people at the firm, from future trainees to associates, and rewrite the answers you provided in the applications.

I also shared some tips on passing video interviews which I think you would find useful: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy.com/forum/threads/how-to-prepare-for-a-law-firm-video-interview-a-step-by-step-guide-⭐️.8346/ and https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-151491

I also recently wrote a guide with more tips: https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....ns-discussion-thread-2023-24.8037/post-167426

I hope this helps!
    It seems like the magic circle law firm ( Slaughter, Freshfields and Clifford Chance) only provide the direct TC if you after your penultimate year, so the only way to get into these firms is to reapply if unsuccessful? In addition, do you think it would be helpful if add a summer/ winter vacation scheme when applying the TC route.

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre

MrHubertLouis

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 5, 2021
    This isn't a vac scheme question so sorry for randomly putting this here, but I applied for a law-related but non-legal graduate role with a company in London and the recruiter has not been in touch? I did the online test beginning January and since then have reached out to her by email but have had nothing back lol shall I just assume they aren't going to take me forward in the application process but haven't bothered to tell me?
    I applied last year, they only send tests out to a number of applicants but they should email you a PFO. However, I applied back in October and still haven’t heard back so maybe they’re not sending out PFOs this year.

Reactions: Miss Chocolate

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.