TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
What's the best approach to the question "if you could introduce a new law, what would it be"?

Would it be best to focus on the firm's practice areas or anything of interest? Any thoughts @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre? :)
I think the answer can be more general to be honest, it does not necessarily have to relate to the practice areas of the firm. I think that you should find something interesting and catchy and that will spark a nice conversation. To do this, talking about something you are interested in will definitely come off more interesting to the interviewer.

Givemeatcplease

Feb 23, 2024
I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.

DieHard

Star Member
Feb 14, 2024
I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.
I did a few hours each day for the 4 days before an AC. Although, this was after I'd already done a Vac Scheme so it was really just remembering stuff rather than preparing examples from scratch

DieHard

Star Member
Feb 14, 2024
Does anyone know the start dates for BPP this September? Sorry if this isn't the forum for this
Not sure, but if you can avoid BPP I would. I'm at ULaw, but a lot of friends at BPP who say its shocking. BPP have poor IT systems which either go down or prevent you logging in, they have threatened countless students that BPP would suspend their teaching for failure to make instalments (despite all payments having been made before the deadline), their support team are pretty incompetent requiring you to call up several times to solve the same issues which most businesses figured out a long time ago, more than a few students were actually forced to leave the country (and the first several weeks of the course) as BPP messed up their VISAs through sheer incompetence. Finally, although teaching seems to be relatively what you'd expect, they're owned by a Private Equity firm so cuts and reduced quality of teaching may be likely in the future.

Hana (aaah I want a TC)

Distinguished Member
  • Jan 7, 2023
    Not sure, but if you can avoid BPP I would. I'm at ULaw, but a lot of friends at BPP who say its shocking. BPP have poor IT systems which either go down or prevent you logging in, they have threatened countless students that BPP would suspend their teaching for failure to make instalments (despite all payments having been made before the deadline), their support team are pretty incompetent requiring you to call up several times to solve the same issues which most businesses figured out a long time ago, more than a few students were actually forced to leave the country (and the first several weeks of the course) as BPP messed up their VISAs through sheer incompetence. Finally, although teaching seems to be relatively what you'd expect, they're owned by a Private Equity firm so cuts and reduced quality of teaching may be likely in the future.
    I agree 100%. Some people are actually looking to write a formal complaint because of how bad they are.

SLLLAMA

Star Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Aug 16, 2023
    I get your point! But I didn’t get my VS scheme easily.
    I’ve had multiple rejections this cycle 47 to be exact. I gave up in December after a PFO post TI From Fieldfisher as I fumbled it soo hard. I stopped applying and didn’t come on the forum for weeks as it knocked me down a few pegs. I saw loads of people getting VI’s and AC’s I thought I rather be happy for others than feel sad over this rejection. I try to like everyone’s post that succeeds in their application as it’s such an achievement to get a test invite or a VI. I then got several AC invites at the end of Jan for applications I made prior to my TI rejection in December. I also used my failed interview as an advantage to succeed in my other interview.

I really do believe in uplifting and helping others! Those on the forum who have messaged to see how my applications are over the past few months are the ones who have recently just got AC’s and VS. Their positive energy is the reason they got their offers and that’s what the firms saw too. They didn’t get it handed to them. (I know you didn’t mean your comment it in a malicious way)

Also Ive seen ppl only apply to MC and US firms…. you need to have variety you can always move laterally. Aim high but be realistic, all my top firms I wanted in the beginning paid under £100k funnily enough.
    Would you be able mention some of the firms you applied too? I want to diversify the type of firms I apply to for the upcoming direct TC cycle.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Chelsea1

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.
    Someone said behind each offer, there are multiple rejections and I completely agree. Getting a VS isn’t easy for anyone! There are certain factors at play that may give people more of an advantage but I firmly believe everyone with a VS/TC offer has worked ridiculously hard for it in one way or another. With that being said, for your own success, look at your strategy this cycle and the previous cycles. What has worked, what hasn’t worked? Start with your applications, have them reviewed by someone who knows what to look for in a VS/TC app. This could be a future trainee, trainee, associate, partner, someone in grad rec at a law firm or even a careers advisor. If you don’t have immediate access to this, then ask your friends. Closed mouths do not get fed. For VIs and ACs, do practice interviews with people in the legal profession. Loads of universities do practice interviews, Aspiring Solicitors/SEO/Strive/UpReach/Grow/Rare all offer practice interviews (I think!). Strategy is one thing, then there’s confidence. When you write your applications, do your VIs and attend ACs, are you confident in your own abilities? If not, then why would a firm hire you? Why should they believe in you if you don’t even believe in yourself? You need to walk into those ACs like no one phases you! Another thing is being present! Go to firm events, show your interest in them as an employer. There isn’t a specific formula but if you REALLY want it, you’ll do everything in your power to get it. There’s so much more that I could say but I’ll finish with this. You (as a person) are not the problem. You just need to keep looking for the firms that are a right fit for you. And once you do? You’ll sail through the application process. Either way, don’t give up! Everything happens at the right time so you just have to keep trying. Happy to speak to you via private messages if you need some advice!❤️

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022
    I can assure you, people are not getting VS's easily. Behind every 2 VS offers are an inbox full of PFOs from other firms. It's partly a numbers game at the end of the day. However, it is also about putting in the work. You need to be using career advisors to review your cover letters and putting in the time and effort to research each firm for their unique selling points - at a bare minimum.

You also need to ask yourself if you have enough experience to draw on to be competitive. Law attracts ambitious people, and said people are more likely to have taken the initiative to bolster their CVs with good grades, a good university, leadership positions on relevant commercial-focused societies and involvement in other extra-curriculars (Ie. sport). If you haven't taken the initiative to do this, you have put yourself at a disadvantage, but there are many ways to fix this, for example, paralegalling (sic) for a year
    I don’t think this is necessarily true. You don’t need legal experience to be a competitive candidate. Legal experience is advantageous but not compulsory. I remember attending a firm event and a future trainee said the only job she had ever had was as a customer assistant at Sainsbury’s. But there are so many transferable skills in that role. Do things that you enjoy/challenge you. Like sports or taking part in a society as a committee member or playing an instrument or a part time job at a restaurant. Commit it to it and watch yourself grow! And also I agree with what DieHard said about the importance of being a well rounded candidate but you need to be a human first and foremost! Yes you’ve got good grades and legal experience but what about your soft skills? Do you become nasty to others when they make mistakes? These things matter too!

aspiringlawyer47

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • May 27, 2022

Started organising my notes (from firm events etc) the moment I booked my ACs. Then I made a checklist of what I needed to do, for example, book mock interviews, review notes from a particular event or research certain topics. I think I was in a period of “laid back” prep for like 2 weeks and then went INSANE the week before.

In terms of balancing with other commitments, you just have to find a way to make it work. Change up your routine temporarily to work towards your new goal (the AC) and then when it’s done, it’s business as usual!

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Are amberjack test times recorded? Like I know they said it’s not but they said they’ll keep a track of response times to see if there’s cheating.

Essentially I’m asking if I can do it in chunk. One section, break then the next section, etc. Will this f up my results?

Reactions: Legalstalker

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Would you be able mention some of the firms you applied too? I want to diversify the type of firms I apply to for the upcoming direct TC cycle.
    I applied to 58 firms so wouldn’t be able to name them all lmao but look into firms that have niche areas/lower salaries? I know Bakers, Howard Kennedy, TLT, HFW, Orrick, Dentons, Eversheds, Trowers, RPC and Farrer all have direct TC applications. To name a few. Definitely look on Legal cheek and plan the firms you want to apply to do some research and work hard to sell yourself and motivations in these applications. A lot of people have done VS applications for these firms already so you can always ask for help in terms of VI or AC prep if you get to that stage.

Buy the premium subscription it’s £15 this month so take advantage of the data base and support available through it, you could defo pop out 3/4 apps this month with the subscription so maybe focus on that!

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Wholeheartedly agree with this, I would use Uni of Law or Barbri if possible

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.