TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Would you be able mention some of the firms you applied too? I want to diversify the type of firms I apply to for the upcoming direct TC cycle.
    I applied to 58 firms so wouldn’t be able to name them all lmao but look into firms that have niche areas/lower salaries? I know Bakers, Howard Kennedy, TLT, HFW, Orrick, Dentons, Eversheds, Trowers, RPC and Farrer all have direct TC applications. To name a few. Definitely look on Legal cheek and plan the firms you want to apply to do some research and work hard to sell yourself and motivations in these applications. A lot of people have done VS applications for these firms already so you can always ask for help in terms of VI or AC prep if you get to that stage.

Buy the premium subscription it’s £15 this month so take advantage of the data base and support available through it, you could defo pop out 3/4 apps this month with the subscription so maybe focus on that!

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Not sure, but if you can avoid BPP I would. I'm at ULaw, but a lot of friends at BPP who say its shocking. BPP have poor IT systems which either go down or prevent you logging in, they have threatened countless students that BPP would suspend their teaching for failure to make instalments (despite all payments having been made before the deadline), their support team are pretty incompetent requiring you to call up several times to solve the same issues which most businesses figured out a long time ago, more than a few students were actually forced to leave the country (and the first several weeks of the course) as BPP messed up their VISAs through sheer incompetence. Finally, although teaching seems to be relatively what you'd expect, they're owned by a Private Equity firm so cuts and reduced quality of teaching may be likely in the future.
    Wholeheartedly agree with this, I would use Uni of Law or Barbri if possible

wc

Standard Member
    Dec 31, 2021
    Should I email the firm to ask when you would hear back a while after an AC? I did my AC on 15 feb and haven't heard back. The firm recruits on a rolling basis so I am getting worried.

Last edited:
    Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey guys, do you think doing a virtual AC is disadvantageous to an in person one?
    No, absolutely not. I never did an assessment centre in person last year and I was successful in all of them. I personally do not think there is a disadvantage in doing an assessment centre online.

• 🏆
    Reactions: wc

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Should I email the firm to ask when you would hear back a week a while after an AC? I did my AC on 15 feb and haven't heard back. The firm recruits on a rolling basis so I am getting worried.
    I think that a week is too early, they might be busy with other assessment centres and other candidates, I would email at the end of the 2nd week after the assessment centre, coming onto the 3rd week.

Also look out for updates from other candidates and whether they have received offers on the forum or on LinkedIn just to make sure that they take some time with everyone and to reassure yourself that you did not get rejected.

After the end of the 2nd week, if you still have not heard back, that is when I would email to politely ask for an update.

Reactions: wc

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey everyone - I have a question about vacation scheme clashes.
    I have a confirmed Cleary Gottlieb vacation scheme in July (which I'm really pleased about!) But I have also been invited to an Assessment Day for Clifford Chance's Spark Programme. Essentially I would not be able to go to their week-long 'classroom-based learning' this year (Year 1) (SPARK insights), but if I was lucky enough to receive the offer, I would be able to go the week in Year 2 (SPARK Shadowing), where you spend a week in one of the firm's practice areas. My question is - should I attend the assessment day in the hopes of receiving an offer and then possibly deferring / asking whether I would be able to the important half of the programme? Or should I email them right away about my predicament? (The thing is, I don't want to miss out on the opportunity and have them say that I should simply reapply next year!)
    I would personally attend the assessment day as it can be an opportunity for you to develop your interview skills, experience another firm, other lawyers and just see a different law firm overall.

I would worry about this once you get an actual offer but ideally you could ask them to postpone the experience as you said, or fast-track you for a direct training contract.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
    Was looking at past interview questions on Glassdoor for Pinsent Masons and the question "How would you rate yourself academically compared to others on your course?" came up. Does anyone have any tips on answering a question like this?

sxw517

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 20, 2021
    Adding to what DieHard has said about BPP, sometimes lessons would be cancelled with half an hour's notice or they would substitute the tutor and you'd have a public law tutor teaching contract etc.

90% of the teaching couldn't be faulted though, it's more of the administration side that is a pain in the arse. Which it seemed the tutors were as frustrated with as students, at certain points.

Lola333

Star Member
    Aug 27, 2023
    I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.
    I spend one day the day before researching the firm and supplementing the list of potential interview Q/As I already have. This may seem like less time compared with what other people have said but I find a day of intense revision enough and it's fresh in my brain the next day :) I've had offers from 2/3 ACs this cycle, but I would caveat that by saying it's very individualised to your preferences!

EM23

Esteemed Member
    Dec 10, 2022
    I know this is very much a “how long is a piece of string” sort of question, but for those who have been successful at an AC, how much preparation would you say you do?

Would you start say a week in advance with a few hours each day or typically more? It’s hard when trying to balance preparation with other commitments.
    For me I think maybe a week in advance so nothing is left last minute. Figure out each stage of the AC, what you need to show in it and then research the main points of the firm, its values, its future objectives, what its biggest areas are and a deal or two all this for the interview or case study stage.

Always relax a day before or on the day just take it slowly and take your time. Being calm and composed goes a long way in my own experience.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

Ali A

Legendary Member
  • Feb 28, 2022
    I spend one day the day before researching the firm and supplementing the list of potential interview Q/As I already have. This may seem like less time compared with what other people have said but I find a day of intense revision enough and it's fresh in my brain the next day :) I've had offers from 2/3 ACs this cycle, but I would caveat that by saying it's very individualised to your preferences!
    I do the same

Reactions: Lola333

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.