TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

legallybrunette8

Esteemed Member
Sep 9, 2023
Wait so they say in the email that they will not consider you for the TC AC? 💀
told them a few days ago i couldnt attend the placement if i was successful so had to withdraw it, but they said they would review my app for a TC. today they gave me the rejection after "reviewing my application for both the placement and training contract."

oh well! i never had hope for the TC anyway so onto the next

• 🤝
Reactions: mhs234

SB220398

Standard Member
Feb 3, 2024
Got a reply from Shoosmiths for the discover placement. The email said that they want me to stay engaged with Shoosmiths as they see potential in me. Does this mean I might be invited to the AC, or is this a general thing they say to all applicants?

oyku

Premium Member
Jan 30, 2023
Got a reply from Shoosmiths for the discover placement. The email said that they want me to stay engaged with Shoosmiths as they see potential in me. Does this mean I might be invited to the AC, or is this a general thing they say to all applicants?
I think it’s something they send to all but don’t be disheartened rejections lead us to the correct path !

Dwight

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2019
Does anyone have any advice on how to answer motivational questions, especially 'why firm x' in AC / interview setting, demonstrating strong interest and making interviewers feel that you made a deliberate decision that you want to train there and nowhere else?

NW Law

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 20, 2021
    Does anyone have any advice on how to answer motivational questions, especially 'why firm x' in AC / interview setting, demonstrating strong interest and making interviewers feel that you made a deliberate decision that you want to train there and nowhere else?
    In my experience, I have had success in breaking down this question into 2-3 core reasons for the firm. Starting with 1-2 reasons (so maybe you like a firm for its PE and competition practices), identify why that practice is important to you (it might be they have a mandatory seat there or, alternatively, their unique position gives you the opportunity to work on advanced deals in that practice), then my 3rd reason relates to the culture and/or training at the firm (this could be focus on diversity, pro-bono, unique training contract structure), etc. that format has worked for me but ofc everyone approaches it differently.

danturner

Star Member
    Sep 6, 2023
    In my experience, I have had success in breaking down this question into 2-3 core reasons for the firm. Starting with 1-2 reasons (so maybe you like a firm for its PE and competition practices), identify why that practice is important to you (it might be they have a mandatory seat there or, alternatively, their unique position gives you the opportunity to work on advanced deals in that practice), then my 3rd reason relates to the culture and/or training at the firm (this could be focus on diversity, pro-bono, unique training contract structure), etc. that format has worked for me but ofc everyone approaches it differently.
    I follow a similar structure and have had good results this year

saj2002

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Dec 7, 2023
    I didnt get the stay engaged bit so maybe

bella98

Legendary Member
  • Mar 9, 2023
    What were your scores like for the WBD sjt. The test was similar to other ones I have done but my scores turned out to be very different.
    The third band (highest) for applied verbal intellect and numerical intellect. And then 3 for Grit, 9 for applied intellect, 6 for Creative force and 7 for Digital mindset. Not sure why that score for grit... I always try to take initiative and be proactive etc. I think it will highly depend on the VI whether I get to the next stage.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu and Legalstalker

tcplease2345

Valued Member
    Feb 6, 2024
    The third band (highest) for applied verbal intellect and numerical intellect. And then 3 for Grit, 9 for applied intellect, 6 for Creative force and 7 for Digital mindset. Not sure why that score for grit... I always try to take initiative and be proactive etc. I think it will highly depend on the VI whether I get to the next stage.
    Mine was 6,4,4,4, Yes I think the VI is considered more when it comes to making a decision.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Chelsea1

Star Member
  • Aug 7, 2023
    Do you mean the bit where it says " Engage with us on social media (see links below) for firm wide news and legal updates which will ensure you maintain a high level of commercial awareness." - If not, then maybe you got a bespoke email rather than the generic pfo ...?

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.