TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

zdi2024

Jan 7, 2024
I need advice :( ... I recently took a verbal reasoning for a law firm -right before to the test I did many examples tests at the same space (like for a good 4 hours ) although initially the environment was suitable for taking the test, when I started there were noises/distractons out of my control that affected my performance in the first half of the assessment- would you recommend me to get in touch with the firm/ or would it be a bad impression/ or accept the defeat :(

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I need advice :( ... I recently took a verbal reasoning for a law firm -right before to the test I did many examples tests at the same space (like for a good 4 hours ) although initially the environment was suitable for taking the test, when I started there were noises/distractons out of my control that affected my performance in the first half of the assessment- would you recommend me to get in touch with the firm/ or would it be a bad impression/ or accept the defeat :(
Unfortunately the firm cannot do anything about this, so I would just wait to see the outcome from the assessment.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
do firms need to confirm your grades with your referee before they make an offer for a VS? @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre
Some firms way ask for confirmation of your grades before making your offer but some will wait until the onboarding processes start for the role.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
@Jessica Booker Hi Jessica, I was wondering if I'd be eligible to apply for a paralegal vacancy in Belfast if I've studied English law only? Thanks!
Yes - that wouldn’t be an issue as although it is a seperate jurisdiction, the two are very similar to one another.

Futuretrainee!1!1

Oct 21, 2023
I really don’t want to diminish anyone else’s achievements as know how hard people work, but what I find really difficult on here is when people post that they’re trying to decide between two VS offers or even being in the position to turn down one because of a clash with another.

I would kill for one VS. It’s my third cycle and I haven’t got one, yet I’ve seen people on here have multiple, then get an AC invite. I’ve seen someone on here with about 8 ACs this cycle alone.

I really don’t want to sound bitter or jealous but knowing people can seem to get a VS easily and are in the position to choose between offers while I can’t even get one after years just sucks.
this is so bitter

CHLTC

Nov 28, 2023
Hello All - had a technical question about AC written exercises and AC business case studies.

From peoples experience, how long have people had at ACs to read / answer these sections. What is a normal amount of time?

At my recent silver circle firm AC, we got 30 mins total for the written , 15 mins for the business case study (before then going in to chat with partners)

But I’ve heard places give an hour ! What’s the norm ?

Reactions: axelbeugre

ah898

Star Member
  • Nov 9, 2023
    Hello All - had a technical question about AC written exercises and AC business case studies.

From peoples experience, how long have people had at ACs to read / answer these sections. What is a normal amount of time?

At my recent silver circle firm AC, we got 30 mins total for the written , 15 mins for the business case study (before then going in to chat with partners)

I imagine there's no real 'norm' and it just changed firm by firm. I did a case study at a US firm and it was 15 minutes prep (but the information was only 1 and a half pages long). So its likely the longer it is the more information you are given to analyse. As for written exercises I did one at a big international firm and it was 65 minutes - so again likely to just change firm on firm.

Reactions: Seven

Seven

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    May 15, 2022

There is no normal amount of time. Some firms will have a case study that is 1-paged worth of information whereas some firms will have bundles of 10 pages to sort through. You can have anywhere between 15mins to an hour to read your case study exercise depending on the firm.

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
    this is so bitter
    I really don't think it's fair to call the post bitter and the OP literally says that they know how hard people work/they don't want to diminish people's achievements.

I think their point was (which in my opinion is a valid one) that getting a VS seems to come far easier to some than others. In no way does that mean that people who have a VS or multiple haven't worked hard to get in that position, but if you spend hours and hours writing applications, prepping for interviews, have worked hard at university, and done everything else that would make you a "good" candidate, I feel it's fair if you get hurt by seeing people say they've secured yet another VS.

I've had one offer this year on my third cycle, and I know the effort that goes into that. I'm not saying you don't deserve success (and I hope everyone on the forum lands their dream offer), but I also do think the OP's post was a justified feeling. Imposter syndrome is very real in this process.

Last edited:

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.