TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hey all, new to this, but absolutely stressing out after an AC question I had today.

I was asked if I could invite someone famous to a dinner party, who would I choose to invite. I panicked as had no clue, so said Jurgen Klopp (the Liverpool manager). I backed it up by wanting to know how he's inspired huge comebacks/motivates players from setbacks/resilience and would want to know how he came to a difficult decision to walk away from something he loves. I tried to link this to a law firm and said you'd face setbacks as a trainee and hard choices.

The interviewer didn't really react much but worried it's an immature/unsophisticated answer. Feel I've blown it from what is effectively an arbitrary question.
I honestly think it is a very interesting answer and it gives a perspective of your interests too which never hurts! I am sure they will appreciate it a lot.

You need to remember that interviewers, most of the time, will not show you what they think so it is really difficult to infer something from how they look, so I would not worry about this.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Same! What is the usual wait time in people's experiences? I was told end of the month but I know they finish interviews end of the week
It depends on the firm, some firms will call you an hour/two hours later, others after three weeks. It really depends. I would just wait for their call/email which I am sure it will come very soon.

If you have not heard 2/3 weeks after the period they have indicated to you, then I would email for an update.

Zi48

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2022
I haven't heard a peep from Gibson Dunn it's a little worrying - Has ANYONE heard ANYTHING from them?
I applied in September and haven’t heard anything. When I emailed in January they said if you haven’t heard your application is still under consideration, but I’ve seen some offers on here and LinkedIn so I’m not hopeful

medy

• Dec 8, 2023
    Nope - applied on deadline and nothing so far

Applied 6 months ago - no news. Last time someone told me that 20 out of 25 places on the vac scheme were filled.

I applied in September and haven’t heard anything. When I emailed in January they said if you haven’t heard your application is still under consideration, but I’ve seen some offers on here and LinkedIn so I’m not hopeful

Are these all for the UK offices? cos I know some people applying to their offices outside who are waiting as well :(

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.