TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Arf1309

Valued Member
Dec 7, 2022
Hi all!

So I have an AC coming up in Manchester and it's going to cost me around £150 for a train and somewhere to stay the night before (I live in the south west but applying to Manchester firms as we are moving there in August). I've asked the firm if they can help with travel costs at all but they have said no. I've already accepted a vac scheme offer with another firm which runs in the last two weeks of June. All I know is that the Manchester firm runs it's vac schemes for 2 weeks in June too but no exact dates. It's likely that there will be some cross over and that I won't be able to attend the vac scheme anyway. Is it worth asking if they can transfer me to a direct TC AC now or should I do the AC and then ask if I can attend a direct TC AC? I come from a low income household and so spending that money on the AC is not something that I can really afford but I could pick up extra shifts at the restaurant I work in to cover the costs if necessary.

Would really appreciate any advice you guys have on this! I would hate to miss out on an AC as I know how hard they are to get and I don't want to be ungrateful but it's just not affordable for me atm :(

norrebo

Standard Member
Jan 31, 2024
Hi all!

So I have an AC coming up in Manchester and it's going to cost me around £150 for a train and somewhere to stay the night before (I live in the south west but applying to Manchester firms as we are moving there in August). I've asked the firm if they can help with travel costs at all but they have said no. I've already accepted a vac scheme offer with another firm which runs in the last two weeks of June. All I know is that the Manchester firm runs it's vac schemes for 2 weeks in June too but no exact dates. It's likely that there will be some cross over and that I won't be able to attend the vac scheme anyway. Is it worth asking if they can transfer me to a direct TC AC now or should I do the AC and then ask if I can attend a direct TC AC? I come from a low income household and so spending that money on the AC is not something that I can really afford but I could pick up extra shifts at the restaurant I work in to cover the costs if necessary.

Would really appreciate any advice you guys have on this! I would hate to miss out on an AC as I know how hard they are to get and I don't want to be ungrateful but it's just not affordable for me atm :(
First, congratulations on your AC! Secondly, this situation sounds really stressful.

May I ask if you are still a student? Sometimes, there are grants or scholarships available for career/training opportunities. It just depends on how you explain the necessity of the funds!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.