TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

trainee2025

Star Member
Nov 3, 2020
Sorry if this is a really stupid question but what exactly is a memorandum/memo and how would you write and structure one for a written exercise?
I would describe a typical memorandum as a brief *internal* communication from one person/party to another. It should be a concise summary of key points that can easily be understood.
As a very general suggestion…you can often structure something like this with an executive summary, a few clear paragraphs discussing each point in more detail, and a conclusion. There should be plenty of examples of this (including headings, formalities etc.) available online.

(I assume in the context of a written exercise that this is the sort of memo which you are referring to. It has a second meaning in contract law but I doubt that would come up in a written exercise.)

Last edited:

Farhan65756

Distinguished Member
Feb 3, 2023
For anyone who applied to Shoosmiths Discover Placement Mentoring Scheme and was put on the reserve list, has anyone by any chance been taken off the reserve list and been given a spot on the scheme? I’m praying that someone drops out and I get put on the scheme instead 😂🤣

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If I have an AC coming up with a firm I also had an AC with last year, do they keep records/remember you? Or would it be as if it was a fresh candidate?

Don’t know whether I’d be asked “why do you think you were unsuccessful last year” or something similar?

Any thoughts @Jessica Booker?
They might remember you but I would focus on the fact that you have been invited to an assessment centre again, which is a testament to the fact that the firm likes you!

Reactions: laby201

eleven14og

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
  • Dec 8, 2021
    If anyone has any experience in obtaining annual leave from a full-time job who is strict about when they allow you to take it, please DM :). I can't tell them it's for a VS but I also sort of need to give a reason to ask for the AL (or not?).

I had this exact problem and was something I was really stressed about, but it ended up being zero problem.

However, the important part is, you likely have to tell them it's for a vacation scheme. Check the terms of your contract, but it likely says (it had in mine) that you can't take any paid employment elsewhere while still employed at that company. Technically, a VS puts you in breach of that and you could get in trouble.

What I did (and I would advise doing) is emailing your line manager as early as you can to request the time off, making it clear it's for a VS. You don't have to go into too much detail but if you just say it's an opportunity you'd really appreciate etc, I'm sure it will be fine. If will depend from employer to employer but if you're in a legal environment, they will know obtaining a VS/TC is going to be the ultimate aim.

Just be transparent about it and that's the best option :)
    I had the same clause in my employment contract for my previous paralegal role. So I contacted HR and asked whether I needed to disclose a vacation scheme. And they surprisingly said no! I guess this varies between companies/law firms but it's best to ask them about the policy before booking your AL.

cgv3005

Mar 8, 2024
    Not yet! Also I asked them when the ACs would be and they said not until the end of this year...

I was under the impression that it would be this cycle for the 2026 intake but I guess not 😭
    Ah okay, I was beginning to wonder about the contract but it’s obviously an issue for everyone.

And oh! This is news to me too, I also assumed the AC would be for the 2026 intake 😨

Tonye

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jul 31, 2021
    Does anyone know what the vacation scheme conversion rate is for Pisent Mason's London office? I have tried checking online but the stats they show are for the English offices as a whole

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.