TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

Izzy1026

Esteemed Member
Premium Member
  • Aug 23, 2023
    Hey everyone, feeling a bit existential rn. Had a question for you.

I'm 3rd year non law, and applied to 20 firms this year. Rejected from all but one, I've got a Summer VS at a big international corporate firm. Application window is closed, and I haven’t made any non-law grad scheme applications.

I'm wondering whether, if I don't get a TC from my summer VS, it would be wiser to

A) Bite the bullet and self - fund a conversion. I'm aware the course is very intense so unsure how I'd make this work with sending out more applications
    B) Get a part time job and really nail the applications post uni, and, if law doesn't work out, I'd have the time to apply to non law grad schemes as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    In the exact same situation, dm me if u wanna chat about it!

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Would giving a bad answer to one question in an interview lead to outright rejection?😫
    I personally do not think so. Of course, we do not know the question, the context and the details of it but generally speaking no. I think law firms take an overall approach to evaluating a candidate and one bad answer will not affect you.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Hey everyone, feeling a bit existential rn. Had a question for you.

I'm 3rd year non law, and applied to 20 firms this year. Rejected from all but one, I've got a Summer VS at a big international corporate firm. Application window is closed, and I haven’t made any non-law grad scheme applications.

I'm wondering whether, if I don't get a TC from my summer VS, it would be wiser to

A) Bite the bullet and self - fund a conversion. I'm aware the course is very intense so unsure how I'd make this work with sending out more applications
    B) Get a part time job and really nail the applications post uni, and, if law doesn't work out, I'd have the time to apply to non law grad schemes as well

Any thoughts would be appreciated!
    Congratulations on obtaining a vacation scheme, it is such a big achievement since this year the competition was very intense so you should be very proud of yourself. I am sure you will be able to convert it!

Alternatively, if you do not convert, I think that these two options are great. If you have the funds to pay for the conversion course then I would do it, otherwise I personally would recommend going with the second option and work hard to get more offers next year.

Good luck and congratulations once again!

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2020
    I am still waiting to hear from Dechert and Cleary. I had sent out an email to ask for updates and the Cleary grad rec responded saying they would send out responses by 14th March. I know people got invited yesterday to Cleary AC's scheduled on 14th March. I've also read about summer vac scheme offers handed to people on LinkedIn. Should I assume a pfo?

As for Dechert it's been complete radio silence
    I emailed Dechert for an update and got pfo post vi/we. I did them early jan btw.
    In the email they said they filled all spaces for this year but not sure if they were just saying that to politely reject. Or it could be that they have some ppl in mind theyd like to invite to acs and im not one of them.
    Anyway, id say its worth giving them an email at this point.

Reactions: Sharon Wu

tcla888

Standard Member
    Nov 24, 2022
    So my cycle is over post AC rejection 🥲any tips on what I can do to ensure I get a VS/TC next cycle as a non law graduate?

also I don’t know if I’ve misunderstood but if majority of firms have had AC’s (with both vs and tc applicants) does that mean there’s not much point in applying for direct tc’s even though the deadline is like end of April?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker

Aks.Khurana

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Sep 13, 2023
    Those who have gone through background checks, did you have to share if you have had any late payments or defaults?
    Hi!

Having done the onboarding for three firms, this has not come up for me. Background checks are more about seeing that your grades match, that you have the right to work, and that you have referees for some of your roles. I haven't had any finance-related disclosures, and I don't think this is common. I hope this helps!

s9111

Distinguished Member
    Aug 17, 2023
    I am still waiting to hear from Dechert and Cleary. I had sent out an email to ask for updates and the Cleary grad rec responded saying they would send out responses by 14th March. I know people got invited yesterday to Cleary AC's scheduled on 14th March. I've also read about summer vac scheme offers handed to people on LinkedIn. Should I assume a pfo?

As for Dechert it's been complete radio silence
    Lol I haven’t heard back from Cleary or Gibson Dunn for Summer. Assuming PFOs for both!

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Those who have gone through background checks, did you have to share if you have had any late payments or defaults?
    Eesh, Credit Report looking a lil teccky!

Jokes aside. I was worried about this too because I've recently graduated and have been unemployed for a while and had a horrible housing situation in uni which has messed me a lil bit and left me worse for wear unfortunately.

I have an interview for the SRA on Monday so have been stressing over this. But after digging through i've relaxed a bit more. I will say though i'm more relaxed because I have not defaulted and have only missed 3 times (never again). If you have a strong history of paying on time I also wouldn't worry. There are a few things I noticed which should help.

1. If you're worried, be honest! It's best to ask and clarify rather than wait and worry. They most definitely have had someone in a circumstance like this, especially students. In this economy unfortunate things happen. If they were to reject you for a role and anyone else similar, pfft I don't think many people would be working to be frankly honest! But if you're at least honest and clear with them (not that you are lying) then I'm sure they'll be fine with it. That being said it depends on this next thing whether you should or shouldn't tell them.

2. If its missed payments, etc, then it isn't much of a deal. Personally I wouldn't. Especially if it's no more than 6. I read somewhere that when asking for this history (missed payments) they want to know if it has been more than 6 times. I don't know how universal this is and I imagine people have been late more times than that! Moreover, they need to know what the arrangement was/if it was covered. As long as they were covered and didn't escalate in to something insane like a CCJ then you should be okay. Or if it's current, it needs to be handled.

I'm quoting this from the SRA' character and suitability check which I'm sure all firms use when doing background checks like financial statements. Missed payments do not come up as a cause for concern or something they need to know about. Especially a default. What is only mentioned is a CCJ. I have attached this below for you to see.

here it is - https://www.sra.org.uk/solicitors/standards-regulations/assessment-character-suitability-rules/

Ultimately, I think its fine as long as it's not something that escalated to a CCJ. For that, I'm not sure what the outcome will be...

The big one is a DBS check. Now for that...oof.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Ajkajk101

Standard Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jul 27, 2023
    I emailed Dechert for an update and got pfo post vi/we. I did them early jan btw.
    In the email they said they filled all spaces for this year but not sure if they were just saying that to politely reject. Or it could be that they have some ppl in mind theyd like to invite to acs and im not one of them.
    Anyway, id say its worth giving them an email at this point.
    Is this for summer vs?

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Is this for real??? Is the background check that detailed?
    How do firms get that kind of information? How would you know if you have any unknown late payments or defaults??
    Its only on major things like credit cards, student overdrafts etc. If you go over the limit or don't pay it on time then it could go on your credit report. Depnding on how serious it is and how long for. Defaults are when you don't pay back on a credit arrangement for more than 3months or have not set up an arrangement to pay back. They write off your debt to a collecting agency where then you'll have to set up an arrangement to pay back. It's isn't ideal but it happens in adverse situations for some people.

Firms access this through credit rating agencies like Equifax, Experian, Clear Score, who access your credit report from files made by various parties like your bank, etc. To see this they'll do a soft credit report to see what comes up. You can make a soft credit check too. It doesn't dock you points/affect your credit.

However, this (a soft credit check) does depend on the role. For solicitors, bankers, police officers, etc. they will do a soft credit check. For other roles I don't think so. Especially for internships I don't think they do. Essentially, the more serious and financial the role, the more likely a soft check on your credit report will take place.

If its missing spotify payments, netflix, etc then that isn't an issue, it won't show up lol.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    No - it would only be CCJs or something of this nature you may need to disclose, and even then it would only be for SRA purposes rather than the firm’s onboarding.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Would giving a bad answer to one question in an interview lead to outright rejection?😫
    Unlikely, although it could happen if the question was particularly pertinent.

What I would stress is most candidates think their answers are much worse than what the interviewers think they were though.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Does anyone know how much weighing a Grad rec manager has on TC decisions post VS?

@axelbeugre @Jessica Booker
    No set answer on this as it will be firm dependent.

But ultimately Graduate Recruitment look at the evidence from assessments and general feedback - they don’t just make the decision off their own opinion. Their feedback may contribute to the decision but it won’t be the only feedback considered.

• 🤝
    Reactions: axelbeugre and Legalstalker

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.