TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

lawyergirl2903

Mar 13, 2024
Hi guys, first message here! I have my w+c written exercise and interview next week and would appreciate any tips or recommendations for how to attempt these (esp the written interview because I'm really not sure what is expected for this). Thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Thank you so much, this is really reassuring. I don’t have any CCJs but I have some defaults that happened during an extended period of illness. @Jessica Booker are you able to advise of the impact of this? I have since settled these defaults but am extremely anxious about their impact.
Highly unlikely to be an issue. You can have a low credit score and qualify. It would only be if you had legal action against you or you went for something like bankruptcy that it would be an issue.

Most people working in law firms have defaulted on some kind of payment at some point.

Reactions: Legalstalker

Untilwinter

Legendary Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Dec 21, 2020
Its only on major things like credit cards, student overdrafts etc. If you go over the limit or don't pay it on time then it could go on your credit report. Depnding on how serious it is and how long for. Defaults are when you don't pay back on a credit arrangement for more than 3months or have not set up an arrangement to pay back. They write off your debt to a collecting agency where then you'll have to set up an arrangement to pay back. It's isn't ideal but it happens in adverse situations for some people.

Firms access this through credit rating agencies like Equifax, Experian, Clear Score, who access your credit report from files made by various parties like your bank, etc. To see this they'll do a soft credit report to see what comes up. You can make a soft credit check too. It doesn't dock you points/affect your credit.

However, this (a soft credit check) does depend on the role. For solicitors, bankers, police officers, etc. they will do a soft credit check. For other roles I don't think so. Especially for internships I don't think they do. Essentially, the more serious and financial the role, the more likely a soft check on your credit report will take place.

If its missing spotify payments, netflix, etc then that isn't an issue, it won't show up lol.
Oh wow thank you for the detailed explanation. Makes much more sense. I was beginning to wonder if we have any privacy🤣

LawBrah

Distinguished Member
  • Feb 15, 2023
    If anyone has any experience in obtaining annual leave from a full-time job who is strict about when they allow you to take it, please DM :). I can't tell them it's for a VS but I also sort of need to give a reason to ask for the AL (or not?).

bangarangbass39

Valued Member
    Sep 13, 2023
    Highly unlikely to be an issue. You can have a low credit score and qualify. It would only be if you had legal action against you or you went for something like bankruptcy that it would be an issue.

Most people working in law firms have defaulted on some kind of payment at some point.
    Just to be clear is an arrangement to pay the same? Especially if it’s paid off?

Hopefultrainee22

Feb 14, 2024
    If anyone has any experience in obtaining annual leave from a full-time job who is strict about when they allow you to take it, please DM :). I can't tell them it's for a VS but I also sort of need to give a reason to ask for the AL (or not?).
    I had this exact problem and was something I was really stressed about, but it ended up being zero problem.

However, the important part is, you likely have to tell them it's for a vacation scheme. Check the terms of your contract, but it likely says (it had in mine) that you can't take any paid employment elsewhere while still employed at that company. Technically, a VS puts you in breach of that and you could get in trouble.

What I did (and I would advise doing) is emailing your line manager as early as you can to request the time off, making it clear it's for a VS. You don't have to go into too much detail but if you just say it's an opportunity you'd really appreciate etc, I'm sure it will be fine. If will depend from employer to employer but if you're in a legal environment, they will know obtaining a VS/TC is going to be the ultimate aim.

Just be transparent about it and that's the best option :)

Reactions: Jessica Booker

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    I had this exact problem and was something I was really stressed about, but it ended up being zero problem.

However, the important part is, you likely have to tell them it's for a vacation scheme. Check the terms of your contract, but it likely says (it had in mine) that you can't take any paid employment elsewhere while still employed at that company. Technically, a VS puts you in breach of that and you could get in trouble.

What I did (and I would advise doing) is emailing your line manager as early as you can to request the time off, making it clear it's for a VS. You don't have to go into too much detail but if you just say it's an opportunity you'd really appreciate etc, I'm sure it will be fine. If will depend from employer to employer but if you're in a legal environment, they will know obtaining a VS/TC is going to be the ultimate aim.

Just be transparent about it and that's the best option :)
    If they are in a legal environment or one with strong cross over into the industry (eg working in other regulated industries an accountancy firm or investment bank) it would also need to be declared for conflict of interest purposes.

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

mattyh23

Mar 5, 2024
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t know the approach to take on these questions, but when you’re focusing on who a firm’s competitors are, is there a “right answer”?

For example, if I’m looking at White & Case’s competitors, would Norton Rose Fulbright be one due to its strength in projects and energy like W&C? Or would it better to just go with Latham, Clifford Chance etc with the capital market focus?

I don’t want to try and be “too clever” for my own good if that makes sense and end up tripping myself up!

holz567

Star Member
    Feb 18, 2024
    @Jessica Booker I’ve finally got a AC this cycle but it’s for a firm I had one for last year (don’t know if I’m suited to that firm or what haha).

Would they know this when they selected me for the AC? I don’t know if another member of the grad rec would have looked through my application?

I’m just wary of perhaps being asked why I didn’t get it last time out or if I should be prepared for those kind of questions?

• 🤝
    Reactions: Sharon Wu

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    Someone please correct me if I’m wrong as I don’t know the approach to take on these questions, but when you’re focusing on who a firm’s competitors are, is there a “right answer”?

For example, if I’m looking at White & Case’s competitors, would Norton Rose Fulbright be one due to its strength in projects and energy like W&C? Or would it better to just go with Latham, Clifford Chance etc with the capital market focus?

I don’t want to try and be “too clever” for my own good if that makes sense and end up tripping myself up!
    There isn’t “a” right answer - there are multiple ways in which you can determine what a competitor is or how you would measure it, and so there could be lots of “right” answers.

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Graduate Recruitment
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    Aug 1, 2019
    @Jessica Booker I’ve finally got a AC this cycle but it’s for a firm I had one for last year (don’t know if I’m suited to that firm or what haha).

Would they know this when they selected me for the AC? I don’t know if another member of the grad rec would have looked through my application?

I’m just wary of perhaps being asked why I didn’t get it last time out or if I should be prepared for those kind of questions?
    Possibly - it really depends whether they store than information beyond a certain time limit.

Rather than being prepared to talk about why you didn’t get the role last time (they will know this if they are aware) I would focus more on how you feel you have developed your skill set or motivations since your last AC.

Reactions: axelbeugre

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.