TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Rather than law firms, what would people say are the main issues clients are facing now?

I would say the uncertainty of the economy, but I feel that's quite a generic answer. Are there any other issues I should be aware of?
I personally would say:
  • Inflation and economic downturn: Companies can face inflation by establishing end-to-end, actionable visibility of spending by business process, function, cost category, and business unit, as well as reducing spending.
  • Supply chain security: Reports suggest that Companies should resist the urge to over-order to compensate for backlogs, which could worsen the situation. Instead, focus on long-term recovery and restructure your needs to prevent similar shortages in the future.
  • Accelerated digital transformation: Artificial intelligence (AI) is already starting to augment all of our businesses, and that trend will continue to accelerate next year. At the same time, other technologies like 5G, blockchain, the cloud, and the Internet of Things (IoT) are building and speeding up AI, and all of them are enhancing each other. Many corporations, especially the ones not operating in the technology space, are struggling to understand how they can cope with this and use it to their advantage.
  • Environmental issues and sustainability: Climate chance is impacting businesses more and more.
  • Climate change is the world’s largest business challenge, and consumers are demanding transparency in sustainability practices as well as more eco-friendly products and services. Companies can respond by viewing the whole picture of their business practices and auditing their full supply chains. I used to talk about this point a lot when I was applying and I was able to link it back to my background since I was studying development at the time. So, if you have an interest in this, you should definitely mention it and linking it to your background if relevant.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
If asked in an interview what your strategy has been when applying for vacation schemes, what kind of answer are they looking for? Focusing on the practice area strengths, international nature, and the like?
I think that they look for consistency here so mentioning a specific aspect you are interested in and listing the firms that have those aspects is key.

For instance, if you say you are very interested in a small intake and a focus on Litigation, you will mention firms that have that characteristics. I would make sure that the aspects you mention do pertain to the firm you are interviewing with though.

International nature, practice areas, focus on pro bono possibilities in a specific are you are interested in, small/big intake, diversity, all of these considerations are valid as long as it makes sense as to why you applied to the firms you are mentioning.

I personally also said that I applied to firms I attended events at or I had positive interactions with and that was welcomed really well too alternatively.

Reactions: Jaysen and tcla888

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Long time lurker, first time poster as I'm extremely stressed about a VS interview answer I gave today.

The interview was with W&C and at the end, I was asked if there was anything I wanted to add. I didn't want to say no, so I said that I'd had an assessment centre with the firm last year and the feedback I was given on the call, and what I'd taken onboard to improve on that since last time.

Now I'm worried that was a stupid answer to give because it makes it appear as if I'm almost asking for their sympathy (i.e. you rejected me at this stage once, please don't reject me again!).

Am I overthinking things and that was actually an okay answer to give? Any thoughts, @Jessica Booker as I can't get it out of my head...
It is really difficult to tell what they thought as their reaction might be so different from mine or someone else's. However, from my perspective, your answer was really good. It gave you an opportunity to prove yourself and show that even if you were rejected last year, you still applied, you worked on your weaknesses and you reached the same stage a year later.

Hopefully the interviewer is able to notice that and if he/she does it is only because of this specific answer that put all your brilliant skills into perspective. I personally think this was a really good answer and you should not overthink it too much as you cannot really do anything now even if it was a bad answer. God only knows how stressed I was after an interview but I personally had to remind myself that what was done was done and it was now in their hands. You have done everything in your power and you worked hard after a rejection to be in the position you are now. You should only be proud of yourself!

Good luck with the result!

Reactions: Jaysen

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
From the outset I would stress that this isn't usually a trick question - firms know that you will have applied for another of other firms. Even if lawyers/recruiters think that 'their' firm is the best, they aren't delusional and know that absolutely everyone in this process will have considered a number of different firms.

I usually approach this question by referring to some key characteristics that I looked for when deciding which firms to apply to. So you might say for example that you applied to only US firms because of the small intake and US clients, or that you applied to firms that have an established disputes practice because that's something which interests you (NB don't refer to a very niche practice area which would only be a small part of a TC at most), or that you applied to firms with an emphasis on international work/secondments because that interests you...etc. Just make sure that the criteria that you cite as a factor in determining where you applied (a) clearly encompasses the firm where you are having the interview; and (b) isn't an arbitrary measure that doesn't display a great deal of thought (for example, saying that NQ salaries were your key consideration when making applications is unlikely to come across well).

I think as long as you can show that you used these kinds of coherent factors to think carefully about where to apply (instead than randomly shooting off applications) then you are on the right track. There's no harm in giving less rather than more here...if you applied to (say) 20+ firms then it may be hard to find something which links all of them, which is fine, but I don't think that alluding to this would be the response that the interviewers are looking/hoping for.

Naturally, if you mention something as an important factor in determining where to apply, then be prepared to explain briefly in your answer why that is an important factor for you and/or answer a follow-up question about that factor's importance. (For example, if you say that a large trainee intake is important to you, then you are likely to be pressed on why that is important to you.)
This is such a great insight @trainee2025, thank you so much for sharing this, I am sure it will be so helpful to many!

l789

Aug 19, 2020
Has anyone heard from Latham for the first year scheme
Thank Goodness someone has asked about this. I’ve made a post and also posted on another thread- however no one has replied. I haven’t heard back and my anxiety is sky high at the moment considering there should be an AC for the first year scheme and we are almost in April.

ariellaquint

Standard Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Feb 8, 2023
technical question - if you are a final year non-grad and have secured vacation schemes but not TC yet should you secure a place at law school in case you do not manage to convert the scheme or wait and see but is it too late to apply to law school in the summer

would be great if someone could help with this @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre as really unsure and do not want to be left in the lurch thank you!!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
technical question - if you are a final year non-grad and have secured vacation schemes but not TC yet should you secure a place at law school in case you do not manage to convert the scheme or wait and see but is it too late to apply to law school in the summer

would be great if someone could help with this @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre as really unsure and do not want to be left in the lurch thank you!!
I wouldn’t apply until very late. All the provides put a huge amount of pressure to commit to the course early, but most of them you can sign up to in the days and weeks before the course starts.

Whether you choose to self fund is up to you though - plenty of people do and many don’t - there is no right or wrong approach to this. You have to do what works well for you.

Just don’t rush into the course unless they are giving you an exceptionally high discount to commit early.

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
What to do when my work may not give me the 4 days unpaid leave to be able to complete a full VS (I already have 6 days authorised but it is the extra 4 days I am unable to get) in April. The firm have made it clear you need to attend for the entirety of the scheme. Feeling deflated after working so hard for this :(

Reactions: axelbeugre

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
I just accepted an internship offer from a law firm and in my contract it states that they will pass my details on to Experian for a Right to Work check. Does anyone know how long Experian take to send the link for the check? If you’ve done one before.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Honestly ! I started seeing people getting troubles continuously to get annual leaves or breaks from their full time jobs due to conflict interests or contract restrictions, after securing a vacation scheme and going through a long process. Also, there is a problem of international students who are not allowed to do their schemes during certain dates, and the problem of people having skilled worker visa who cannot do a second job due to visa restrictions.
All these issues make this market VERY DISCRIMINATORY for internationals and full time workers and the fact that most TC offers are given from vacation schemes makes Law firms lose a lot of excellent candidates.
As someone who is personally going through this now, I want people to share what do they think about this topic.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023

I think you should wait since you can apply two/three weeks before the conversion course starts so there is plenty of time for you to apply after your schemes.

If you get a training contract before, they will enrol you so no issues there too!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.