TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2023-24

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
What to do when my work may not give me the 4 days unpaid leave to be able to complete a full VS (I already have 6 days authorised but it is the extra 4 days I am unable to get) in April. The firm have made it clear you need to attend for the entirety of the scheme. Feeling deflated after working so hard for this :(

Reactions: axelbeugre

izzy1036

Feb 9, 2023
I just accepted an internship offer from a law firm and in my contract it states that they will pass my details on to Experian for a Right to Work check. Does anyone know how long Experian take to send the link for the check? If you’ve done one before.

Ghassen

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Oct 24, 2022
Honestly ! I started seeing people getting troubles continuously to get annual leaves or breaks from their full time jobs due to conflict interests or contract restrictions, after securing a vacation scheme and going through a long process. Also, there is a problem of international students who are not allowed to do their schemes during certain dates, and the problem of people having skilled worker visa who cannot do a second job due to visa restrictions.
All these issues make this market VERY DISCRIMINATORY for internationals and full time workers and the fact that most TC offers are given from vacation schemes makes Law firms lose a lot of excellent candidates.
As someone who is personally going through this now, I want people to share what do they think about this topic.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
technical question - if you are a final year non-grad and have secured vacation schemes but not TC yet should you secure a place at law school in case you do not manage to convert the scheme or wait and see but is it too late to apply to law school in the summer

would be great if someone could help with this @Jessica Booker @axelbeugre as really unsure and do not want to be left in the lurch thank you!!
I think you should wait since you can apply two/three weeks before the conversion course starts so there is plenty of time for you to apply after your schemes.

If you get a training contract before, they will enrol you so no issues there too!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
I just accepted an internship offer from a law firm and in my contract it states that they will pass my details on to Experian for a Right to Work check. Does anyone know how long Experian take to send the link for the check? If you’ve done one before.
If it’s just a right to work check, this won’t take very long as it will require you to provide your passport.

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
What to do when my work may not give me the 4 days unpaid leave to be able to complete a full VS (I already have 6 days authorised but it is the extra 4 days I am unable to get) in April. The firm have made it clear you need to attend for the entirety of the scheme. Feeling deflated after working so hard for this :(
I am so sorry you are in this situation, it really is not a nice situation to be in especially for the hard work you put in to get your vacation scheme offer. I am genuinely sorry.

It is really difficult to say what I would do in your situation as I was not in your situation when I was applying and considerations around this are very personal. What I would suggest is covering all your basis, asking the firm if they would be willing to offer you an assessment centre to convert the vacation scheme into a direct training contract without doing the scheme, and at the same time explain to your current employer the importance of this experience for your career and your skillset.

I am sorry again for this but I am hopeful you will find a way and the law firms will come to their senses,

Good luck

Reactions: Jaysen

lonelycruise

Esteemed Member
Oct 2, 2023
I think you should wait since you can apply two/three weeks before the conversion course starts so there is plenty of time for you to apply after your schemes.

If you get a training contract before, they will enrol you so no issues there too!
I think this a great point but I would watch out for scholarship deadlines if you are self-funding. Often these are a few months in advance and will require you to have been accepted onto the course to be considered.

zizszhplum

Esteemed Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Mar 20, 2022
I am so sorry you are in this situation, it really is not a nice situation to be in especially for the hard work you put in to get your vacation scheme offer. I am genuinely sorry.

It is really difficult to say what I would do in your situation as I was not in your situation when I was applying and considerations around this are very personal. What I would suggest is covering all your basis, asking the firm if they would be willing to offer you an assessment centre to convert the vacation scheme into a direct training contract without doing the scheme, and at the same time explain to your current employer the importance of this experience for your career and your skillset.

I am sorry again for this but I am hopeful you will find a way and the law firms will come to their senses,

Good luck
Thanks so much for this. I will take your advice onboard :)

Reactions: axelbeugre

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
Jan 8, 2024
Honestly ! I started seeing people getting troubles continuously to get annual leaves or breaks from their full time jobs due to conflict interests or contract restrictions, after securing a vacation scheme and going through a long process. Also, there is a problem of international students who are not allowed to do their schemes during certain dates, and the problem of people having skilled worker visa who cannot do a second job due to visa restrictions.
All these issues make this market VERY DISCRIMINATORY for internationals and full time workers and the fact that most TC offers are given from vacation schemes makes Law firms lose a lot of excellent candidates.
As someone who is personally going through this now, I want people to share what do they think about this topic.
I agree! I had to quit my job to do my vac schemes this cycle and last cycle on a student visa I couldn’t even apply to most winter and spring schemes! I recognize quitting my job is a HUGE privelledge especially on a visa :/ so I’m very sorry to hear OPs situation with annual leave

3000to1shoteverytime

Distinguished Member
Dec 9, 2023
So with no word from SH I am assuming my cycle is at an end. Final year non law. No VS but did get to 5 assessment centres Inc a US firm and a Silver Circle.

When applying next cycle should these be mentioned or would it indicate I wasn't even good enough for a VS let alone a TC?

Do have a grad offer for a grad scheme job but for next year 2025 so can have that as plan B. But unsure whether mentioning ACs is a good thing or not? Maybe @Jessica Booker or @axelbeugre could indicate what they would do/did.

Legalstalker

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 9, 2023
    Yeah I am currently battling this situation. I'd say it is harder to apply to firms when working full time as opposed to being at uni so to make it far in the process and be shut down at the end is super humbling. Weighing up the risk of losing my current job for a protentional not even certain TC offer after a VS is a decision I still haven't come to.

Tempted to quit go off grid and live in the amazon forest but that might be a bit irrational

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024
    Yeah I am currently battling this situation. I'd say it is harder to apply to firms when working full time as opposed to being at uni so to make it far in the process and be shut down at the end is super humbling. Weighing up the risk of losing my current job for a protentional not even certain TC offer after a VS is a decision I still haven't come to.

Tempted to quit go off grid and live in the amazon forest but that might be a bit irrational
    If it helps - my experience was it’s way more expensive for the firm to replace you than it is for them to give you 4 days unpaid leave! In most cases especially if it’s full time white collar work - you probably have the negotiating leverage. My prev firm told me they’d be ok giving me the three weeks off vs me leaving!

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Happycloud100

Distinguished Member
    Jan 8, 2024

Happy to help you draft a mail if that’s helpful - appreciate it’s a super tricky situation!! Have been in it recently

• 🤝
    Reactions: Legalstalker

Miss Chocolate

Legendary Member
    Nov 27, 2023
    For anyone doing Bristows interview/has already done the interview, I swear I thought they did both rounds of interviews on the same day and in-person? I remember reading up on the written exercise. Have they changed their process this year because the first interview I have (an hour long) is scheduled online

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.