• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Huge congratulations - that is incredible news!! I hope you take some time to celebrate this amazing achievement 🥳 🥳

Congrats Celebrate GIF by Sesame Street
Thank you Abbie!!! Means so much! <3
 
  • Love
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
Did anyone attend the STB event with TCLA, and if so, would you mind sharing some of the main insights or takeaways from the event? I have only seen now that the event took place and I am pplying to STB so the insights would be super useful

You can find it at the bottom of this page!
 
Hi everyone - quick question here.

Am in the process of gearing up for various VS / TC applications, and am well aware of the typical advice that you should tailor your application to each firm, in some cases by even mirroring some of the language / terminology / qualities that they adopt. Whilst I'm making sure I implement this in my various cover letters / written answers, I wanted to know if this is this still recommended even when detailing my various work experiences in the standard 'work experiences section'? As it stands, I'm providing the typical brief rundown of my experiences from my cv (including unpacking what I learned from them etc... ) but was curious if I'm potentially missing a trick here, and should be adopting the specific 'tailor-to-the-firm' approach in this section too. Appreciate this may be a silly question - thanks in advance for any tips!
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
Hi everyone - quick question here.

Am in the process of gearing up for various VS / TC applications, and am well aware of the typical advice that you should tailor your application to each firm, in some cases by even mirroring some of the language / terminology / qualities that they adopt. Whilst I'm making sure I implement this in my various cover letters / written answers, I wanted to know if this is this still recommended even when detailing my various work experiences in the standard 'work experiences section'? As it stands, I'm providing the typical brief rundown of my experiences from my cv (including unpacking what I learned from them etc... ) but was curious if I'm potentially missing a trick here, and should be adopting the specific 'tailor-to-the-firm' approach in this section too. Appreciate this may be a silly question - thanks in advance for any tips!
Interested in hearing what other people think on this one too/their experience with it, so don't take my word as gospel - I'm basing this on my own app experience and what I've heard from recruitment teams at various firms.

Situations I've encountered where I don't think you need to tailor it:
  • If the application or recruitment page says that the work experience/education section isn't looked at by the assessor and only used for their stats.
  • If the application states that the work experience part should only be a brief overview/there'll be questions later to elaborate on this.
You may want to tailor it if the application doesn't state the latter point above but the questions allow you to go into the work experience anyway. Since w/c on the specific questions tends to be tight, I feel like it's better using the work experience section for this unless the questions feel very related to experience/seem to want you to talk about that.

When it's none of these (ESPECIALLY if there are few other questions on the app for you to tailor it to the firm) then I'd say it's best to tailor it since I know some firms do explicitly look for that. When in doubt, I think it's best to tailor.
 
  • Like
Reactions: user4647464
Hey Abbie,

I am invited to the Open Day, however I am working that day. I have a bit more flexibility since I work freelance so I might cancel my shift. Do you reckon it would be very beneficial to participate? To add, I haven’t take part in an Open Day before, not quite sure what to expect in that regard. Would it help me improve my applications to other firms as well?
Hey!

I would definitely say that it could be worth attending, especially as you haven't been to an Open Day before! They are a good opportunity to get a feel for the firm, hear directly from lawyers or grad rec, and ask questions that you might not otherwise get the chance to ask. This means that you can have more tailored and personalised points to make if you later decide to apply to the firm :)

More generally, I also think they can be useful for applications to other firms. Obviously you shouldn't just recycle what you learn about one firm, but attending Open Days can give you a better understanding of what life at a commercial law firm is like, what different practice areas involve, and what you might want from a firm. You can then use those insights when answering broader application questions or when deciding what firms to apply to.

I wouldn't necessarily cancel the shift if it would mean losing a significant amount of money for the sake of an Open Day. However, if you have the flexibility to move or cancel a shift without much downside, I would probably take the opportunity given that you haven't attended one before :)
 
Hi everyone! I have a question regarding connecting with interviewers on LinkedIn.

I did an AC for DTC but did not get it. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to connect with the partner who interviewed me on LinkedIn. Thanks for any suggestion!
Hi!

I think it is perfectly acceptable to connect with them, particularly if you had a good conversation and felt you connected well. I'd probably keep the connection request simple rather than mentioning the rejection or asking for anything.

It isn't essential, though, so I wouldn't worry if you decide not to! :)
 
Hi everyone - quick question here.

Am in the process of gearing up for various VS / TC applications, and am well aware of the typical advice that you should tailor your application to each firm, in some cases by even mirroring some of the language / terminology / qualities that they adopt. Whilst I'm making sure I implement this in my various cover letters / written answers, I wanted to know if this is this still recommended even when detailing my various work experiences in the standard 'work experiences section'? As it stands, I'm providing the typical brief rundown of my experiences from my cv (including unpacking what I learned from them etc... ) but was curious if I'm potentially missing a trick here, and should be adopting the specific 'tailor-to-the-firm' approach in this section too. Appreciate this may be a silly question - thanks in advance for any tips!
Hey!

I don't think there is any need to heavily tailor the work experience section in the same way that you would your cover letter or written answers. I would focus primarily on clearly explaining what you did, the responsibilities you had, and the skills/insights you gained (+ how they are transferable to law).

However, if the application gives you scope to do so, you can definitely be strategic about what you emphasise. For example, if a firm places particular importance on teamwork or commercial awareness, you could highlight an experience that demonstrates this and explain the relevant skills you developed. I just wouldn't force the firm's terminology into the description if it doesn't naturally fit.

Ultimately, the work experience section should give the graduate recruitment team a clear picture of what you actually did and what you gained, rather than becoming another version of your "why this firm" answer :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: lk23
If I’ve passed the screening stage before at firms like Macfarlanes, Reed Smith, Hogan Lovells, does it mean my grades and mitigating circumstances were received just fine, or just automatic AI filtering?
Hi!

I can't speak for all of the firms that you have mentioned, but I did my SQE placement in the Early Careers team at Reed Smith, and my understanding was that applications were checked by a member of the graduate recruitment team rather than being filtered by AI.

So, unless their process has changed since then, passing the screening stage would suggest that your grades and mitigating circumstances were considered and met their requirements. I'd therefore take it as a positive sign that those factors aren't automatically preventing you from progressing :)
 
  • Like
Reactions: TheHamlet4
Is there such a thing as too many experiences on the A&O VS app? 😭 Have other people put a lot in? Since there's no word limit some of my more substantial experiences are a bit longer and I don't want to submit way too much information lol.
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Does anyone have any insight/advice into the Macfarlane's 1st stage test?
It was 3/4 SJT modules where you rank what you would do in each situation 1-5 i believe, and then also the slider questions where you put what you’re most likely to react in certain situations/ personality type. the last module is critical thinking which is essentially watson glaser.
 
Hi,

I just wanted to ask, when writing about your work experiences, if you have done multiple things of significance within the role, how do you fit this in within the wider structure of your answer i.e the skills you gained and how they are transferable to a career in Law.

Thanks.
 
  • ✅
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
A*AC and vacation schemes: should I resit an A-level?

Hi everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on how my A-level grades might affect my chances of getting vacation schemes at top UK/US commercial law firms.

I achieved:

  • Maths: A*
  • Economics: A
  • Physics: C
I have no mitigating circumstances for the C.

I’m planning to study Economics at the University of Southampton, and my current plan is to pursue a law conversion afterwards. My long-term goal is commercial law, particularly top UK/US firms in London.

I’ve noticed that some firms have explicit A-level requirements, often AAB or equivalent, while others don't seem to have a published A-level requirement. I’m particularly concerned about firms that use A-level grades as an eligibility filter for vacation schemes.

My question is: How much would the C actually affect my applications? If I achieve a First at Southampton and then do well in my law conversion, would firms still care significantly about the A-level C?

I also have the option of resitting Physics. However, this would obviously involve another year and there is no guarantee I would improve the grade substantially.

Would you recommend that I resit Physics specifically to improve my prospects for commercial law vacation schemes, or would you just move on and focus on getting a First and strong legal work experience?

I’d particularly appreciate answers from current trainees, solicitors, or people who have been through vacation-scheme recruitment at City/US firms.

Thanks!
 
Hey!

I definitely wouldn't turn down a good job purely out of fear that it will hurt your TC applications (as it is unlikely to!). If anything, a legal recruiting role could give you some useful insight into the legal profession, law firms and the recruitment processes, and you will also be developing transferable skills that you can talk about in applications or interviews.

I would also be wary of holding out indefinitely for a paralegal role when the market is so competitive right now. If the recruiting job is at your ideal location, pays well, and gives you the flexibility to continue applying, it sounds like a pretty good option! You could always keep applying for paralegal roles alongside it if something comes up.

Ultimately, firms care much more about what you have actually done and what you have learned from it than whether your job title is "paralegal". I'd just make sure you continue getting some legal exposure where possible (e.g. open days, insight events, etc.) and use your recruiting experience to demonstrate relevant skills and commercial awareness.

Generally, having a job while reapplying is probably preferable to sitting around waiting for the ideal paralegal role. I would take the job if you like it and let the TC applications remain the priority alongside it :)
Thank you so much for responding, that is very helpful!
 
  • Love
Reactions: Abbie Whitlock
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member