• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Congratulations everyone getting the Ashurst WE! I'm thinking PFO for me now after 2 waves of WEs
Honestly, I think they've still got a couple more batches up their sleeve! 🤞

Twitter Joetrick GIF
 
Congratulations everyone getting the Ashurst WE! I'm thinking PFO for me now after 2 waves of WEs
From what I understood, if you pass the SJT you then have your application reviewed... and potentially progressed to the WE. Assuming WE invites are sent out in batches based on when they review your application. Guess it also depends on how early/late you submitted your application. Stay optimistic! 😆
 
  • Love
  • Like
Reactions: Enyonam and Novaa
From what I understood, if you pass the SJT you then have your application reviewed... and potentially progressed to the WE. Assuming WE invites are sent out in batches based on when they review your application. Guess it also depends on how early/late you submitted your application. Stay optimistic! 😆
to be fair I did apply at about 1am on the morning of the deadline! So maybe there's hope but I'm not optimistic 😅
 
Ashurst written exercise invite! Does anyone have any tips? This is my first written exercise and I would really appreciate it!
Me too! Any tips would be very much appreciated :)
Congrats to you both 😍😍

Here's the structure I used in my MC AC prep, which got good feedback. Ashurst might test things a bit differently, but a written exercise is a written exercise (I hope? 😭😭)

1. Read everything once before writing. Skim all the documents first, then go back and note anything that could affect the deal: regulatory hurdles, liabilities, problem clauses.

2. If it's an email to the partner or supervisor, keep the opening to a line, then go straight into the issues.

3. For each issue, I used an Issue header (also covering the source and the risk it poses) and a Solution header:

3A. Issue: a clear heading saying what the problem is, then point to the exact document or clause so the assessor can see you've read closely, and explain why it matters to your client

3B. Solution: practical next steps, such as due diligence questions, SPA protections (indemnities, conditions, warranties) or negotiation points

4. Put the biggest deal risk first. I chose 3 issues, as a few well-reasoned points beat lots of thin ones.

5. Leave time to proofread. Spelling and clarity get noticed.

Example (this was a practice case study I did with a friend, HR and SRA please leave me alone 😍)

Dear [Partner],

Please see below my review of the attached materials and the key issues I have identified.

ISSUE 1: Potential CMA merger investigation

[Document X] states that [Target] had a turnover of £[X] in [year]. The CMA can review a merger if either of the following tests is met:

A. The target's UK turnover exceeds £100 million; or

B. The merged business would supply at least 25% of a particular good or service in the UK.

The turnover test appears to be met, so the deal could fall within the CMA's jurisdiction. Our client, [Client], should be made aware of this.

Solution: To reduce the risk of the deal being blocked or delayed, the parties could consider whether pre-emptive divestitures would address any competition concerns. We should also consider making CMA clearance a condition in the SPA, alongside an efforts covenant requiring both parties to take all reasonable steps to obtain approval.

ISSUE 2: Potential litigation arising from a product recall

[Document X] shows that [Target]'s CEO has issued a letter recalling several products due to [defect]. It is unclear whether anyone has been injured or suffered loss, which exposes [Target] to potential claims.

Solution: As part of due diligence, we should request specific disclosure on any injuries, complaints or claims to date, and on whether [Target] plans to offer refunds. We should also seek a specific indemnity in the SPA covering any recall-related litigation.

ISSUE 3: Change of control clause in a supplier agreement

Clause [X] allows the agreement to be terminated if there is a change in ownership of either party. The acquisition would trigger this, allowing the supplier to terminate or renegotiate.

Solution: We should approach the supplier before completion to seek a written waiver, so the agreement continues after the acquisition.

You can tell when I ran out of time LOL.​
 
Hello @Antoni Trochimowicz

I'm just wondering for a cover letter (1 page) - what's the best font size and font type to use? I'm thinking of Times Roman, 10.5 - but don't know if it's too small?

Thank you :)
Hi,

I personally used Times New Roman, 11. However, I think you could get away with size 10.5 without any particular problems. In regards to font, I recommend Times New Roman -- it's quite standard in the industry.
 
Congrats to you both 😍😍

Here's the structure I used in my MC AC prep, which got good feedback. Ashurst might test things a bit differently, but a written exercise is a written exercise (I hope? 😭😭)

1. Read everything once before writing. Skim all the documents first, then go back and note anything that could affect the deal: regulatory hurdles, liabilities, problem clauses.

2. If it's an email to the partner or supervisor, keep the opening to a line, then go straight into the issues.

3. For each issue, I used an Issue header (also covering the source and the risk it poses) and a Solution header:

3A. Issue: a clear heading saying what the problem is, then point to the exact document or clause so the assessor can see you've read closely, and explain why it matters to your client

3B. Solution: practical next steps, such as due diligence questions, SPA protections (indemnities, conditions, warranties) or negotiation points

4. Put the biggest deal risk first. I chose 3 issues, as a few well-reasoned points beat lots of thin ones.

5. Leave time to proofread. Spelling and clarity get noticed.

Example (this was a practice case study I did with a friend, HR and SRA please leave me alone 😍)

Dear [Partner],

Please see below my review of the attached materials and the key issues I have identified.

ISSUE 1: Potential CMA merger investigation

[Document X] states that [Target] had a turnover of £[X] in [year]. The CMA can review a merger if either of the following tests is met:

A. The target's UK turnover exceeds £100 million; or

B. The merged business would supply at least 25% of a particular good or service in the UK.

The turnover test appears to be met, so the deal could fall within the CMA's jurisdiction. Our client, [Client], should be made aware of this.

Solution: To reduce the risk of the deal being blocked or delayed, the parties could consider whether pre-emptive divestitures would address any competition concerns. We should also consider making CMA clearance a condition in the SPA, alongside an efforts covenant requiring both parties to take all reasonable steps to obtain approval.

ISSUE 2: Potential litigation arising from a product recall

[Document X] shows that [Target]'s CEO has issued a letter recalling several products due to [defect]. It is unclear whether anyone has been injured or suffered loss, which exposes [Target] to potential claims.

Solution: As part of due diligence, we should request specific disclosure on any injuries, complaints or claims to date, and on whether [Target] plans to offer refunds. We should also seek a specific indemnity in the SPA covering any recall-related litigation.

ISSUE 3: Change of control clause in a supplier agreement

Clause [X] allows the agreement to be terminated if there is a change in ownership of either party. The acquisition would trigger this, allowing the supplier to terminate or renegotiate.

Solution: We should approach the supplier before completion to seek a written waiver, so the agreement continues after the acquisition.

You can tell when I ran out of time LOL.​
Wow! Thank you so much for this thorough advice. I appreciate it so much!!! This is extremely helpful and kind of you! :)
 

Find member