• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Real talk. Is there a specific reason why all law firms decided to either introduce A Levels grade requirements or increase their existing requirements? 🫪
One of the firms at a law fair the other say said firms are introducing/re-introducing requirements because they’ve seen a correlation between better grades and better performance at the SQE. Whether that’s true or not it feels like a massive step back 🤦🏼‍♀️
 
@Abbie Whitlock Hi Abbie! Thanks so much for your support - I have obtained a TC offer finally! It's with the GLD!

It commences 2028. I just wanted to ask if there's anything you think I should do before I begin? Any books/material worth reading?

Context: I graduated a long while ago. I did the LPC. I work in a commercial law firm but mainly businss support while doing pro bono on the side.

Though I do feel like i've forgotten most of what I studied... not sure if that's a problem.
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Real talk. Is there a specific reason why all law firms decided to either introduce A Levels grade requirements or increase their existing requirements? 🫪

Most law firms I spoke to received a huge increase of applications in the last year or so. It wasn’t uncommon to speak to firms that went from 1,000 vacation scheme applications to almost 4,000. And then AI meant law firms decreased the average standard of an application and made it hard to determine what is ‘good’ or what is an applicant’s own writing.

This makes it hard to filter applicants, especially if a firm has a small team, so they need a way to do this effectively. I think the increasing grade requirements is one element of this because there aren’t many other mechanisms for doing this at scale at an early stage. The other one is online tests, which as you’ve seen, so many firms are now doing.

I think there’s also an element of firms being more transparent about what they actually care about. When some firms start setting higher grade standards, it opens the doors for others to do the same.

I’m sure there are other reasons too e.g. pressure from higher ups to better filter applicants etc.
 
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Bottega_Veneta

Find member