• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

When answering VIs, is it OK to look at the notes I write during prep time? Or is it preferred I just speak to the camera the whole time (obvs not reading them, but occasional glances when referring to a deal the firm worked on, for example).
In my experience, occasional glances are okay! you probably won’t do it too much anyways if the prep time is limited - there’s only so much you can note down in under 2 mins
 
Also, for VIs with unlimited prep time, has anyone actually used it to the max (e.g. switching tabs to check research notes, looking down to make notes) and still progressed?

I had one with unlimited prep time last cycle and was too scared to switch tabs, so I just stayed on the screen looking like this:

helena bonham carter what GIF
 
Also, for VIs with unlimited prep time, has anyone actually used it to the max (e.g. switching tabs to check research notes, looking down to make notes) and still progressed?

I had one with unlimited prep time last cycle and was too scared to switch tabs, so I just stayed on the screen looking like this:

helena bonham carter what GIF
A&O Shearman told us the questions in a webinar this year after the VS apps opened - I think they are expecting you to use the opportunity to research to the fullest because when you're actively choosing to press record you're saying that this is the best answer you can give/you are fully prepared
 
  • Love
Reactions: Novaa
A&O Shearman told us the questions in a webinar this year after the VS apps opened - I think they are expecting you to use the opportunity to research to the fullest because when you're actively choosing to press record you're saying that this is the best answer you can give/you are fully prepared
Thank you so much!! 😍 That makes a lot of sense when it's broken down like that.

Did they give any tips on how to structure answers, or what they're looking for in a strong response?
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Does anyone have insight into whether A&O uses a cutoff for their amberjack and eg if you don’t clear it they don’t review the vi?

I’m happy with my app and the VI but as always, defeated by the amberjack, based on my research I got mostly 5s/6s and could be worse ofc since they don’t give the scores…
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member