• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

hey guys, i know everyone's asking but i just got the DLA online test email and was wondering what the test actually entails? i am a bit concerned about what ive seen about it thus far as i have dyspraxia and am worried that might adversely impact me.
it's untimed, and you have to drag your mouse to different corners of your screen to select your answer to the question. hope that helps!
 
  • 🤝
Reactions: Jaysen
In the legal cheek law fair they kind of made it sound like its automatic (and optional)
Yikesss did I just show how progression deprived I am 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

Lmao Laughing GIF
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Does anyone have actionable advice on how to consistently pass SJTs?

I’m fine with Watson Glaser's because they can be learned, but the behavioural sections are where I struggle. I got a pfo from Freshfields today telling me to check my skills report, even though my top skills seem to align with what they’re looking for in trainees.

From my experience the process feels like random filtering. I passed one last cycle by spam clicking through it, but every time I answer following common advice (answer in line with firm values + what is expected of a trainee) I seem to fail.

I find this frustrating because it feels like borderline random filtering, where you’re expected to meet a hidden arbitrary threshold to pass. If anyone has any tips on how to systematically improve and pass this section, I’d really appreciate it.
 
Does anyone have actionable advice on how to consistently pass SJTs?

I’m fine with Watson Glaser's because they can be learned, but the behavioural sections are where I struggle. I got a pfo from Freshfields today telling me to check my skills report, even though my top skills seem to align with what they’re looking for in trainees.

From my experience the process feels like random filtering. I passed one last cycle by spam clicking through it, but every time I answer following common advice (answer in line with firm values + what is expected of a trainee) I seem to fail.

I find this frustrating because it feels like borderline random filtering, where you’re expected to meet a hidden arbitrary threshold to pass. If anyone has any tips on how to systematically improve and pass this section, I’d really appreciate it.
May I ask whether the Freshfields pfo was post stage 1 or 2?

Regarding SJTs, I'm a bit lost on them also.
 
Does anyone have actionable advice on how to consistently pass SJTs?

I’m fine with Watson Glaser's because they can be learned, but the behavioural sections are where I struggle. I got a pfo from Freshfields today telling me to check my skills report, even though my top skills seem to align with what they’re looking for in trainees.

From my experience the process feels like random filtering. I passed one last cycle by spam clicking through it, but every time I answer following common advice (answer in line with firm values + what is expected of a trainee) I seem to fail.

I find this frustrating because it feels like borderline random filtering, where you’re expected to meet a hidden arbitrary threshold to pass. If anyone has any tips on how to systematically improve and pass this section, I’d really appreciate it.
Sorry to hear abt the pfo :(. I'm deffo no expert but I think the sjt's are one of my strengths. For the SJT questions where you have to rank which you would be most/ least likely to do, the hack I always use is this:
your 'most likely' answer usually contains proactive/ enthusiastic language like: "You enjoy proofreading...". the key word here is enjoy bc it's overly positive so it's going to be #1. the second best answer is often something similar but less positive in phrasing.

the middle answer is often passive but not too bad like: "you'll ask a supervisor for help" or "you'll do the work (but not with much excitement)"

the worst option is always either the answer that is the most unenthusiastic or has more cons than pros like: "you dislike proofreading so ask someone else on the team to do it" or "you decide not to go to an optional session to learn more"

also: even if you feel that in the scenario you'd be able to do the work independently, the best options are always the ones that promote teamwork/ voicing your opinion/ asking others for help.

i have more for the slider questions but I hope that helps! Again, no expert
 

Find member