• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →
Hellooooo!!

I just wanted to see how people are approaching SJTs and if anyone has any advice. I'm fine with the verbal, numerical and WG tests, but I think SJTs are what's been impacting me.

The "most/least likely" ones throw me off the most. Most of the options are so similar compared to the slider ones, so it feels like guesswork. I know people say to keep the firm's values in mind, but are you literally comparing each option against the values (like with a table), or do you have another method? They're usually untimed too, so I fear I'm overthinking them.
Hi! That’s such a fair question - I found SJTs so odd when I first started taking them.

I know this can be frustrating to hear, but I do think your instincts matter more than any method. I gave the same responses on every SJT I took, and I passed some firms and failed others. It’s a question of natural fit and (in my opinion) impossible to game. It’s easy to overthink then end up selecting an option that does not reflect who you are, and still does not align with what the firm wanted - so, while I know it’s easier said than done, do try to follow your genuine choice!

With that said, sometimes, I didn’t know which option was genuinely right for me, because (as you mentioned) they all sounded similar. In these instances, I would take the following steps.
  1. Read the scenario / question. Make a list of all the firm’s values that you think might be relevant. So, if the scenario is: 'A partner has asked you and two colleagues to complete a complex project within the next week. It involves reviewing a large volume of detailed legal documents. How would you tackle this?' I would think: ‘you and two colleagues’ - COLLABORATION; ‘complex project’ - maybe RESILIENCE or CRITICAL THINKING; ‘within the next week’ - TIME MANAGEMENT; ‘reviewing a large volume’ - ORGANISATION ; ‘detailed’ - ATTENTION TO DETAIL.
  2. Rank each value based on how much it matters to you. This can feel tricky - don’t overthink it. If I was someone who really enjoyed working with people, I might go 1. COLLABORATION. If I’m someone who values submitting perfect work, I might go 1. ATTENTION TO DETAIL. If I’m someone who prefers to get things ticked off my to-do list quickly and punctually, I might go 1. TIME MANAGEMENT.
  3. Read each option, and see whether they support or go against each value. So if option A is ‘Suggest working closely as a team, so you can support each other throughout', - that's definitely very collaborative. If I have ranked collaboration as my first value, I would at least shortlist that as my ‘most likely to’. If I have ranked collaboration as my last value, I would probably not consider it for my 'most likely to'.
  4. Pay close attention to wording. Say B. is 'Talk with your colleagues about how you work together to meet the deadline and ensure a high quality product'. That is also collaborative, but a bit different. B is more outcome and time management focused (high quality product and meet the deadline). A puts more emphasis on the process and actual action of collaborating (so you can support each other throughout). Which is more important to you? Collaborating towards a common defined goal or just collaborating in itself? I know this is a bit abstract-y - this is the tricky part! When you're faced with options that appear to support the same competencies / are very similar, I found looking at the specific wording to be helpful in differentiating them. Again, if you’re in doubt, just answer with what you feel is right :)
I hope that is helpful and good luck!!
 
Any insights HLC 2d stage? 🙏🏻
Hi! Unfortunately, I did not personally apply to HLC, so I'm not sure what their test consists of and won't be of much help here - so sorry!

If this is the proofreading part:
It happens 😓 I also relate to this sensation, don't worry, you're not the only one! After a bad test, I like to treat myself (go get some rest, night out, have a snack)! I also like to treat myself after a good test... I guess I just like to treat myself generally :) don't beat yourself up over it!

In all seriousness though, I found it helpful to practice. You can go on any firm's website, pick a news article, plug it into an AI, ask the AI to insert 100 SPaG errors, then time yourself for 10 mins or however long, and try to identify and fix as many of them as possible.

It sounds silly, but you can also train yourself by turning off autocorrect on your phone. I started noticing how many typos I made, even when texting friends, and it made me more conscious of my spelling. You can do this on Word, too.

If proofreading isn't your thing, it's not the end of the world! There are lots of firms that don't have timed proofreading tests. I hope that is helpful, and if you have to do another one, that it turns out better!!

If there is an SJT element, I did a general comment on those:
Hi! That’s such a fair question - I found SJTs so odd when I first started taking them.

I know this can be frustrating to hear, but I do think your instincts matter more than any method. I gave the same responses on every SJT I took, and I passed some firms and failed others. It’s a question of natural fit and (in my opinion) impossible to game. It’s easy to overthink then end up selecting an option that does not reflect who you are, and still does not align with what the firm wanted - so, while I know it’s easier said than done, do try to follow your genuine choice!

With that said, sometimes, I didn’t know which option was genuinely right for me, because (as you mentioned) they all sounded similar. In these instances, I would take the following steps.
  1. Read the scenario / question. Make a list of all the firm’s values that you think might be relevant. So, if the scenario is: 'A partner has asked you and two colleagues to complete a complex project within the next week. It involves reviewing a large volume of detailed legal documents. How would you tackle this?' I would think: ‘you and two colleagues’ - COLLABORATION; ‘complex project’ - maybe RESILIENCE or CRITICAL THINKING; ‘within the next week’ - TIME MANAGEMENT; ‘reviewing a large volume’ - ORGANISATION ; ‘detailed’ - ATTENTION TO DETAIL.
  2. Rank each value based on how much it matters to you. This can feel tricky - don’t overthink it. If I was someone who really enjoyed working with people, I might go 1. COLLABORATION. If I’m someone who values submitting perfect work, I might go 1. ATTENTION TO DETAIL. If I’m someone who prefers to get things ticked off my to-do list quickly and punctually, I might go 1. TIME MANAGEMENT.
  3. Read each option, and see whether they support or go against each value. So if option A is ‘Suggest working closely as a team, so you can support each other throughout', - that's definitely very collaborative. If I have ranked collaboration as my first value, I would at least shortlist that as my ‘most likely to’. If I have ranked collaboration as my last value, I would probably not consider it for my 'most likely to'.
  4. Pay close attention to wording. Say B. is 'Talk with your colleagues about how you work together to meet the deadline and ensure a high quality product'. That is also collaborative, but a bit different. B is more outcome and time management focused (high quality product and meet the deadline). A puts more emphasis on the process and actual action of collaborating (so you can support each other throughout). Which is more important to you? Collaborating towards a common defined goal or just collaborating in itself? I know this is a bit abstract-y - this is the tricky part! When you're faced with options that appear to support the same competencies / are very similar, I found looking at the specific wording to be helpful in differentiating them. Again, if you’re in doubt, just answer with what you feel is right :)
I hope that is helpful and good luck!!
If it's something else, let us know and we will try our best to answer any Qs! Good luck!!
 
TCLAWorkspace
TCLA Workspace
Prepare for each firm, in one place.Firm research, practice tests and application tracking.
Explore Workspace →

Find member