• Hey Guest, join Reed Smith’s Rik Palmer on Wednesday 7 October, 6–7pm (UK time) to learn how to succeed at each stage of the firm’s application process. Register for the event.

TCLA Vacation Scheme Applications Discussion Thread 2026-27

Does anyone have any advice on how to tackle the W&C application question: Identify a current global development and explain how it might affect demand for legal services. How is White & Case positioned to help clients respond? 'Global development' is pretty broad, does this mean macroeconomic trends and are we expected to tie our personal firm motivations into the question?
Hellooo!!

I'd take it as macroeconomic trends, and geopolitical or regulatory shifts work too. Just pick one you can link to specific legal work they do (firms usually publish insights or trend reports on this, so worth a look). I'd also tie in personal experience rather than motivations (e.g. “From completing X, I understood Y” instead of “this is why I want to join W&C”).
Hi! I completely agree with Novaa :)

Global development: Novaa's advice is great! The WC website (https://www.whitecase.com/insights) itself could have some potential stories - if you want something more general, I also like to check FT Daily News Briefing / FT articles.

Structure:

I like to do:

Paragraph 1: 1-2 sentences identifying and summarising the global development. Keep this as short as possible! This is just to set context. Stick to the facts. If you can, be specific (names, figures, or 5 Ws).

Pargraph 2: I would find a list of WC's key clients (you can do this on Legal 500). I would then pick one or two sectors or client types and explain how the story might affect them. If you want, you can cite specific clients as examples to show that you have done your research and genuinely know who the firm is working for.

Paragraph 3: I would link this to one or two of the firm’s key practices and discuss how their lawyers might be able to help those clients and how this might increase / decrease demand for certain legal services. SWOT analyses can be useful here (Strengths, Weaknesses, Opportunities, Threats).

On the link: This part can be tricky. The first step is understanding what lawyers in each practice actually do - this will give you a better idea of how they might be able to help certain clients respond to developments. TCLA has a crash course going over different practices. You can also Google search this (‘what do M&A lawyers do?’) Idin’s LittleLaw newsletter has some examples on how you can link stories to different practices.

Personal firm motivations: To be honest, I wouldn't worry about including this! I assume the skills tested here would be commercial awareness, knowledge of WC's practice and clients + what lawyers and clients do generally, ability to break down complex concepts into simple words, analytical + critical thinking, writing ability, etc. Trying to tie in your WC motivations might just detract from your word count - I'm sure this will be tested through other Qs or at other stages!
 
Hi @Minhee, welcome to the community!

I have a question in regards to writing emails as a trainee. What is the best way to summarise things that you would have to do?
Hi! Thank you so much :)

I am not a trainee yet - I am just a future trainee! So I'm not qualified to say anything on this, so sorry I can't be of more help. If you're talking about in an AC written exercise context ('you're a first-seat trainee, you received this email from your supervisor, write a reply summarising next steps'), I have jotted some ideas down below, but this is just inspiration + what I would do as a candidate.

Also, just to clarify, when you say 'things that you would have to do' - do you mean you're sending an email to your supervisor with a list of action items that you're going to complete? I am assuming so, but apologies if I have misunderstood! Feel free to correct me if needed!

1. Give context. If you're responding to an email from your supervisor with instructions / attachments, I like to say something along the lines of: Thank you for the instructions. I confirm that I have safely received x documents and will get started on x now [or this afternoon / tomorrow, whenever it is]. If you just finished a call with someone and want to summarise what happened, I might say: Thank you for calling about x. I'll get started on x now. If I'm just giving a progress update, I might say: I wanted to give you an update on x [deal / matter]. I have finished x and am getting started with x now. You can use your own judgement for this, but I do think it's nice to let the reader know right away what the email is for.

2. Summarising action items. I would use a short numbered list for this, with deadlines / a prediction of when you will be finished with each step, if possible.

3. Flag issues. If there is anything you are not certain of, if you have any questions, if there's something you're struggling with, if you are waiting on information from another team / person, if you foresee a problem / delay coming up in the future, etc. I would also share a list of these.

4. Immediate next steps. Summary of what you are doing next, and if there are any urgent issues / questions.

I hope that is helpful!
 
I feel like this is a silly question but does anyone know whether firms consider the vac scheme when deciding who to accept for open days? If vac scheme applications are rolling, is there any point in accepting someone to an open day only to reject them later for the scheme?
Don't worry, that's not a silly question at all! I am not Grad Rec, so I can't truly say, but I would assume as it is the same people screening for the same firm, they will look for the same traits, so logically, it would make sense to screen open day applicants in the same way as vac scheme applicants.

With that said, I have met many people who were accepted to open days then rejected for vac schemes, or rejected for open days and accepted to vac schemes. This could be because of different stages (e.g. no interviews for open days, more weight placed on written app + testing stages), different levels of competition, improvement between open day app and vac scheme app - it's impossible to know!

Open days are great for learning about firms, meeting people, perhaps getting some application tips, demonstrating your motivation and genuine interest in being there, etc. But they don't guaranty anything - at best, you will be fast-tracked for a vac scheme. This also means, even if you haven't been successful with open day apps, you don't have to worry - they don't pre-determine anything!

Hope that is helpful and good luck :)
 
Slaughter and May direct tc PFO, im feeling really defeated about not getting anything this cycle but still need to hear from Sidley, A&O Sherman, Reed Smith (no assessment yet), and Dechert (no assessment yet). I plan on applying to more firms, but I'm worried I am approaching applications wrong tho I have looked at what recruitment and TCLA forums recommend in your responses.
Hi! I'm sorry to hear that - I think we all go through a moment in the app cycle where we start feeling dejected / stressed, so you're definitely not alone. Take the time to recharge! Well done for getting the apps in - even if it didn't work out, it's just more practice, and it's still such early days. A lot of my good news emails came later in the year! Those are also all very competitive firms, and it truly is a matter of matching with one that suits you. You only need one offer.

If it's not too personal, do you see any trends / have an idea of what particular stage you're struggling with? Do you think it's written apps, CVs, work experience sections, any concerns with grades, tests, VIs, etc.? You don't have to answer here, but I always found it helpful to take a step back and think about which part was letting me down so I could work on it. I know this is difficult, as they don't tend to give feedback at early stages. But if you have any Qs, do reach out :) and best of luck with your other apps!
 

Find member