"Tell me about yourself" question

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019
This question has always thrown me. What sort of information should include? I feel like in the past I have started to answer the "Why Law" and "Why this firm" question.

Also how long should this answer be? I'm unsure whether they want a snappy introduction about myself or something more detailed.

Would be grateful if someone could include a skeleton of the various things they mention. Thanks in advance!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
This question has always thrown me. What sort of information should include? I feel like in the past I have started to answer the "Why Law" and "Why this firm" question.

Also how long should this answer be? I'm unsure whether they want a snappy introduction about myself or something more detailed.

Would be grateful if someone could include a skeleton of the various things they mention. Thanks in advance!

Why law and why this firm is not about you - you are not answering the question.

What would you like to tell people that isn’t necessarily obvious from the rest of your application form?

Read up on Elevator pitches - that’s the type of approach you should take.

Reactions: Eamon

KLaw125

Junior Lawyer
Aug 21, 2018

Although I don't think I've answered this question directly on applications, I think I have figured this question out through interviews/netowkring.

My best advice would be thinking for yourself, not about purely the 'Why Law' application approach like Jessica mentioned. Ask yourself, what is your personal USP (Unique Selling Point) or what makes you interesting? Rather than focus on why law (which may be important for applying to firms of course), consider three key things about you, that make you different or what you are personally proud of.

For me this would be:
  1. My background living an African country for two summers
    • Because my culture is important to me and this experience taught me so much
  2. Being involved in volunteering society for secondary school students for 3 years
    • My passion during university and something I worked alot on through different positions in the society
  3. My interest in the energy sector
    • Because I have been reading more around the industry for past few months, whilst gaining some unique experiences from traditional oil company and emerging alternative energy start up
These are not directly about why law, they definitely could be, but they are a snapshot of me as a person/ professionally.

And this has definitely struck up conversations because law firms are interested in potential trainees from application stage to interviews. Applications and interviews always offer scope to discuss "Why Law", as it is vital for a potential employee to a firm, but make yourself recognised through these types of open questions. Of course if you had a key legal experience that makes you stand out or defines yourself professionally, mention it!

The main point is that for this example is reflect and highlight who are through this question. This took me years to realise but it is almost as important as highlight why you are entering the legal profession!

Hope this helps! :)

Alice G

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 26, 2018
Although I don't think I've answered this question directly on applications, I think I have figured this question out through interviews/netowkring.

My best advice would be thinking for yourself, not about purely the 'Why Law' application approach like Jessica mentioned. Ask yourself, what is your personal USP (Unique Selling Point) or what makes you interesting? Rather than focus on why law (which may be important for applying to firms of course), consider three key things about you, that make you different or what you are personally proud of.

For me this would be:
  2. Being involved in volunteering society for secondary school students for 3 years
    • My passion during university and something I worked alot on through different positions in the society
    • Because I have been reading more around the industry for past few months, whilst gaining some unique experiences from traditional oil company and emerging alternative energy start up
These are not directly about why law, they definitely could be, but they are a snapshot of me as a person/ professionally.

And this has definitely struck up conversations because law firms are interested in potential trainees from application stage to interviews. Applications and interviews always offer scope to discuss "Why Law", as it is vital for a potential employee to a firm, but make yourself recognised through these types of open questions. Of course if you had a key legal experience that makes you stand out or defines yourself professionally, mention it!

The main point is that for this example is reflect and highlight who are through this question. This took me years to realise but it is almost as important as highlight why you are entering the legal profession!

This is so helpful and loved your examples!

Reactions: KLaw125 and Jaysen

Eamon

Star Member
Jul 2, 2019

For me this would be:

This is great, thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.