Timeline of the application cycle

Vedangini Bisht

Jul 27, 2020
Hi,
I am slightly confused about when the application cycles for firms begin and end. I feel this is important because I think most firms only allow one application in a cycle. I have heard the cycles generally begin from August-September. Say, the firm allows applications for summer VS, winter VS and direct TC. Can I then apply for only one of these application between Sep 2021-2022? Or is it Jan-Dec 2021? Or is it different for different firms and something that I will have to find out on a firm-to-firm basis from their websites?
My guess is that the way to go about it would be by seeing when the TC actually begins. I think 2023 TC would constitute one cycle and 2024 another. Althought I am not too sure, so would like some clarity.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    My understanding of this has always been that an app cycle generally starts when applications open, i.e August/September. So yes that would mean if you've applied in this cycle you would have to wait until applications reopened in August/September. I think looking at what intakes firms are recruiting for can be somewhat misleading because sometimes firms continue to advertise recruitment for certain intakes even in the next cycle. That being said, there are some firms that let you reapply for a TC even when you've already been unsuccessful in a VS app in that same cycle, so I think that's the main area in which firm policy tends to differ and you'd have to read the FAQ on GR websites to find out.

Vedangini Bisht

Jul 27, 2020
    Thanks a lot for the reply!
    So I have not applied for any applications in this cycle yet due to some reason, so I can apply for the TC this year, the deadlines of most of which end in July 2021. And since the next cycle would start after that, I could apply for the winter VS as well, is that right?

Reactions: Dheepa and OB

M&ALawyer

Valued Member
    Future Trainee
    Jul 29, 2019
    So I have not applied for any applications in this cycle yet due to some reason, so I can apply for the TC this year, the deadlines of most of which end in July 2021. And since the next cycle would start after that, I could apply for the winter VS as well, is that right?

Yes you can apply for a TC this year, provided you have not applied to the same firm since August/September 2020 (when this cycle began).

An application cycle generally means a period from August/September to July the next year. I would think of it the same way as an academic year at university. E.g your first year runs from August/Sept to July and you enter your second year (or "cycle") in August/September.

There are some firms, however, that restrict you from applying again if you made it to interview (e.g Jones Day). Some firms also allow you to apply for a VS and a TC in the same recruitment cycle (cant remember which off the top of my head but there definitely are some).

To clarify as well, winter VS's in 2021 would be in a new recruitment cycle than the TC's you apply for with a deadline of July 2021.

Dheepa

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Future Trainee
    TCLA Moderator
    Premium Member
    Forum Team
    M&A Bootcamp
    Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019

Yes you can do that because the TC and winter VS would be in different cycles.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.