Too late for open days?

Haja

Jan 6, 2024
Hi guys,

I did my GDL in 2020 and I've worked at a couple of rubbish firms since then. When applying for jobs at decent firms, it helps to be someone recruiters are familiar with, and going to an open day allows for that. My question is, are open days just for people new to law such as students and people who just graduated, or can anyone go to an open day even if they've been working in law for a few years now?

I have considered applying to open days, but I'm a bit anxious about being out of place there as someone who has a fair amount of work experience. It would be reassuring to hear of anyone in a similar situation who is still attending open days.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide xx

Reactions: axelbeugre

ljms

Distinguished Member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2024
Every firm is different, even if their practice areas are similar. The point of an open day is to give you a taster of that firm. There's no harm in applying to open days, even with some legal experience,

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
Staff member
Gold Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
Sep 14, 2023
Hi guys,

I did my GDL in 2020 and I've worked at a couple of rubbish firms since then. When applying for jobs at decent firms, it helps to be someone recruiters are familiar with, and going to an open day allows for that. My question is, are open days just for people new to law such as students and people who just graduated, or can anyone go to an open day even if they've been working in law for a few years now?

I have considered applying to open days, but I'm a bit anxious about being out of place there as someone who has a fair amount of work experience. It would be reassuring to hear of anyone in a similar situation who is still attending open days.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide xx
Thank you for sharing your journey, this is always valuable to hear and read. What I would say is attending an open day, especially if it is not selective or give you a chance to get the vacation schemes (like the Latham one which is open to first year students) are very overrated. Graduate recruitment will not remember your face if you attend an open day at a firm. They are so busy and meet potential candidates everyday, I can assure you they will not remember everybody's faces, reasonably so. I got a couple of offers last year, all from firms I never attended an open day at (and frankly I did not even know of them before applying, they are US firms), and so do not worry. Attending an open day will not help you as much as people think, in my opinion. I think that having scholarships from some firms or attending fast track schemes are what definitely sets you up for success, way better tna an open day, especially those which are not as selective.

My advice would be to not worry too much if you cannot take time out of work to attend open days as they are not necessary. I attended a bunch of open days and events and I did not get an offer from as single firm I attended the open day at, despite me thinking I am a memorable individual and thought I left a good impression on people and followed up with messages afterwards with people at the firm. I was invited to an open day on LinkedIn by an international city law firm because they liked my profile, and I did not get an interview for them, despite passing the watson glaser! It really goes to show you that they do not matter as much.

I hope this helps and good luck with your applications!

Reactions: Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.