Training Contract Application Deadlines 2023/24 [Training Starting 2026]

mckelly

Valued Member
Premium Member
Sep 19, 2020
Has anyone heard from Hogan Lovells for the 2025 direct training contract? I haven't heard since I did my Watson Glaser so dont know whether to assume I just haven't got it
I don't think anyone has heard. I think we should all brace ourselves for a mass PFO since, whilst they do offer direct TCs, it's really a route for them to shore up those who don't accept TCs given out post VS. Their final summer VS only ended c 3 weeks ago so I expect to hear an outcome in the coming weeks...

Tintin06

Legendary Member
Oct 23, 2019
Thank you.
Probably not unless you have significant legal/ paralegal/ direct industry experience
Thank you. The trouble is my current role pays more than any Trainee position but it isn’t direct experience. Therefore, I’d have to take a huge pay cut to become a paralegal and would still lose money doing a VS.

By the way, if anyone has advice on applying to BigLaw, MoneyLaw and white shoe firms with bad grades (ABBBBCCC at GCSE, AAA at A-Level, and 62.5% 2.1), that’d be greatly appreciated.

I’m_Batman

Valued Member
Premium Member
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2023
    Thank you.

Thank you. The trouble is my current role pays more than any Trainee position but it isn’t direct experience. Therefore, I’d have to take a huge pay cut to become a paralegal and would still lose money doing a VS.

By the way, if anyone has advice on applying to BigLaw, MoneyLaw and white shoe firms with bad grades (ABBBBCCC at GCSE, AAA at A-Level, and 62.5% 2.1), that’d be greatly appreciated.
    I've seen folks get direct TCs without* any VS so disagree that you need one. Additionally, those are not 'bad' grades. The GCSEs are low for what is seen in the candidate pool. But 3 As and a 2:1 are not bad grades. I understand you are talking about 6 places at X US firm but can we keep perspective.

Maham

Premium Member
    Jun 25, 2021
    Thank you.

I did not have A’s in my A-levels. I had not done a VS or before nor did I have any legal work experience before applying, but managed to secure a direct TC with a magic circle firm. I did have previous work experience though, but in other sectors.

It’s definitely possible. Do not let anyone give you the impression that having any legal work experience is necessary for securing a TC. There are always transferable skills in any job that you do. You just have to be able to sell those skills and justify why you would be willing to take a pay cut to start all over as a trainee at a law firm (speaking from personal interview experience).

nbpp48

Star Member
  • Oct 20, 2021
    Thank you.

I would probably try not to think about grades in this manner. I have five GCSEs at C or above, no A-Levels as I did an access course, and averaged around 60% with only one module receiving a first. I’m also a future trainee at a City firm.

There are no hard and fast rules when it comes to displaying why you will make a good trainee, but I do know that spending too much time focussing on what you perceive to be ’bad’ grades (your grades are not bad in the slightest) will only make you feel angry and frustrated.

Kseh05

Premium Member
    Aug 30, 2023
    [FOR VACATION SCHEME DEADLINES, CLICK HERE]

Hello everyone!

With the application season for Training Contracts upon us, I have created this thread to track the deadlines for different law firms.

Below, you will find a list of firms currently open or opening soon, including their closing date.

Keep in mind that this list will be updated regularly and I am making sure we have a verified source for each firm.

May 2023​

Opening DateClosing DateStart inFirm NamePrerequisites and Eligibility
    29 May 20239 July 20232026Norton Rose FulbrightFinalists and graduates of all subjects

July 2023​

3 July 202313 August 20232025Latham & WatkinsNone

September 2023​

1 September 202330 November 2023 at 11:59pm2026Slaughter and MayOpen only for (Law/Non Law) Finalists and Graduates
    1 September 202310 December 20232026SkaddenApplications for a TC can only be made through a place on the Vacation Schemes
    1 September 202316 January 20242026Gibson DunnApplications for a TC can only be made through a place on the Vacation Schemes
    4 September 202323 November 20232025
    Clifford ChanceNone
    14 September 202312 January 20242026Bird & BirdNone
    25 September 202319 July 20242026MacfarlanesNone

October 2023​

1 October 2023TBC2026FieldfisherNone
    1 October 202331 July 20242026Stephenson HarwoodNone
    1 October 202331 March 20242026Mayer BrownNone
    2 October 202317 November 20232026Allen & OveryFinal- or penultimate-year students or graduates from all universities with any degree. For the March 2026 start date, non-law students who have successfully completed the GDL / PGDL course are also eligible;
    2 October 202314 December 20232026LinklatersNone

December 2023​

December 2023June 20242026DentonsPenultimate year law students, all final year students, and graduates;

January 2023​

1 January 2024TBC2026Reed SmithNone
    8 January 202429 March 20242026 - 2027 (Exact date to be confirmed)AshurstNone

February 2023​

Opening DateClosing DateStart in Firm NamePrerequisites and Eligibility
    1 February 20241 April 20242026Baker McKenzieNone

March 2023​

March 2024Not Specified2026Eversheds SutherlandNone

Please feel free to drop any queries or suggestions to best utilise this thread. All the best!
    Hi, thanks a lot for this list! I had a question on timelines - for TC apps that begin sometime sept-oct and close in the summer of next year, does that mean no matter how early we apply, we will only hear back from them next summer? I'm assuming most firms prefer vac scheme students so wait for those outcomes before considering direct TC apps made during this time of the year? Please confirm. Thanks.

Niyati Nagda

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 29, 2023
    Hi, thanks a lot for this list! I had a question on timelines - for TC apps that begin sometime sept-oct and close in the summer of next year, does that mean no matter how early we apply, we will only hear back from them next summer? I'm assuming most firms prefer vac scheme students so wait for those outcomes before considering direct TC apps made during this time of the year? Please confirm. Thanks.
    Hi @Kseh05
    The time of response of the firm would strongly depend on whether they recruit on a rolling basis or not.

Several firms only hire for training contracts through their vacation scheme, however, others tend to have direct applications available.

Firms responses can also put your application on hold because they often hire one to three years in advance of the start date of the training contract.

There is no direct way to know whether these firms have exhausted all their seats (especially if they prefer vacation schemers over direct training contract applicants), but if they consider you to be a good candidate and if they don't have places to offer you, they can defer you to the upcoming application cycles.

The responses to your queries will largely depend on the specific firm you're considering : )

If you need more detailed information, it's a good idea to contact the graduate recruitment team using the contact details on the firm's website. They can provide more clarity if the information you're looking for isn't readily available to the public.

Niyati Nagda

Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Jun 29, 2023
    Are there any resources to see what firm direct tc apps are rolling/non-rolling?
    Hi @BonanzaBih_

You can determine whether a firm uses a rolling or non-rolling recruitment method here.

Firms typically maintain consistency in their recruitment approach for both vacation schemes and training contracts to ensure uniformity in their recruitment process.

Therefore, even though the information is presented in the context of vacation scheme deadlines, it should also be accurate for training contracts.

Hope this helps!

Samridhi Jain

Distinguished Member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Feb 18, 2022
    Has anyone applied to the A&O 2025/ 2026 Training Contract? It says there will be 2 video questions and an assessment - I'm assuming the assessment is an SJT and I'm not sure what the 2 video questions might be. Are those Why A&O and Why Commercial Law? Could someone please help me identify that as these are video questions?

Reactions: axelbeugre

axelbeugre

Legendary Member
    Staff member
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 14, 2023
    Has anyone applied to the A&O 2025/ 2026 Training Contract? It says there will be 2 video questions and an assessment - I'm assuming the assessment is an SJT and I'm not sure what the 2 video questions might be. Are those Why A&O and Why Commercial Law? Could someone please help me identify that as these are video questions?
    @Samridhi Jain hey, I am afraid video interview questions cannot be revealed on the forum, however I would say that as long as you prepare the typical questions (such as the ones you have mentioned) I am sure you will be fine. Good luck with it and the whole application cycle! I am sure you'll be successful!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.