Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
When was your Travers Smith interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Travers Smith.

I really enjoyed my interview. I think my experience was a little bit different to what I’ve seen around. On that day, I walked into the room and the 1st question the partner asked me (whilst I was still trying to sit down) was if I’ve been to other interviews. I said I’ve had several video interviews and we both lamented on how we hate the idea of basically talking to a computer screen during a video interview (small act of putting me at ease there).

Anyways, fast forward to some few minutes later and we’re basically having a conversation. I had prepared for commercial awareness questions, and the typical moral questions, but he barely asked me any of those (I literally had zero commercial awareness questions). I got asked what legislation I would implement, why law, why travers – typical questions. He also asked me one moral question which involved my client lying to the other party about the terms of a transaction (ie would you support your client even if you knew he was lying, and the other party didn’t know about this. When I said I wouldn’t, he went on to say that I was going to lose the client if I didn’t support him. I then said it was better to lose one client than to potentially lose many others if the situation came to light, and the firm’s reputation crumbled (I threw in Bell Pottinger there and he smiled). Morale of the story – lawyers always act with integrity no matter what!

I wish I could give you more, but the interview was only 30 minutes. One thing I would emphasise is that it was very much a conversation, an enjoyable one for that matter. When I gave an answer to a question, he asked follow-up questions. This means you can pretty much lead the interview. I also asked him a lot of questions during the interview – I asked him what he would do in the above scenario.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Travers Smith interview?

I would say the best skill to have (which I believe applies to any interview) is empathy/emotional intelligence. When I got accepted to the scheme the day after my interview, I started to feel that the interview was ‘too easy’ – i.e how could I have gained a place on a vac scheme when I had no commercial awareness question and only one moral question. But I heard from people who had been interviewed too, and had a complete different experience. From my perspective, I think this was because I connected with the partner from the outset. Therefore, I would say relax, have FAITH in yourself, and believe that the job is already yours. Get a sense of the energy your interviewer is exuding and try to match that.

I would also advise people to prepare for everything – prepare for the unexpected, for commercial awareness questions, for moral questions, everything. I did prepare for everything, but I guess I was fortunate that day.

Next, do your research on the firm - know the little details. I remember I mentioned their new app for clients (in the employment department) and he seemed impressed, almost like he didn’t think I would know. He even said he was going back to tell his colleague that someone mentioned the app!

Finally, this is a little cheeky but if you’re being interviewed at your uni, try your best to pick one of the earliest slots. I was the first person he interviewed at my uni, and when I accidentally saw the list of people he had to interview, I put on my best show to set the bars high (imo). Also, people get tired during the day so try to get them at their best time.

To reiterate: you don’t have to be the loudest in the room, don’t try to be someone else, have the confidence to be yourself!

• 🏆
  • ℹ️
Reactions: Varun S, Salma, Nicole and 4 others

Lawgirlxo

Esteemed Member
Future Trainee
Jun 20, 2018
This is extremely helpful, you are too kind.

I was wondering what did you reply to the what legislation I would implement

Thank you - I said I would cap the tuition fees of international students to a certain amount (like Home/EU students)

He then said that the government uses international fees to subsidise the fees of home students and so there would be a gap. In response, I said it was like a demand and supply scenario, if you cap the fees to a certain amount (eg maybe £12k), you would probably have more international students coming here to study. So in simple terms, say 50 students paying £12k would bring in more money than 20 students paying £15k. We ended it at that!

Tbh, I don’t think what you say matters so much, as long as you give logical reasons. For these kind of questions, I like to give answers that relate to me somehow as it would be easier to justify them (since I’m familiar with them).

Mind you, he said if I were a member of a parliament, what rule would I enforce. I was tempted to say something political but I didn’t want to get caught out for trying to appear smart.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    When was your Travers Smith interview?

February 2018

What was it for?

Vacation Scheme

Please describe the interview process at Travers Smith.

I really enjoyed my interview. I think my experience was a little bit different to what I’ve seen around. On that day, I walked into the room and the 1st question the partner asked me (whilst I was still trying to sit down) was if I’ve been to other interviews. I said I’ve had several video interviews and we both lamented on how we hate the idea of basically talking to a computer screen during a video interview (small act of putting me at ease there).

Anyways, fast forward to some few minutes later and we’re basically having a conversation. I had prepared for commercial awareness questions, and the typical moral questions, but he barely asked me any of those (I literally had zero commercial awareness questions). I got asked what legislation I would implement, why law, why travers – typical questions. He also asked me one moral question which involved my client lying to the other party about the terms of a transaction (ie would you support your client even if you knew he was lying, and the other party didn’t know about this. When I said I wouldn’t, he went on to say that I was going to lose the client if I didn’t support him. I then said it was better to lose one client than to potentially lose many others if the situation came to light, and the firm’s reputation crumbled (I threw in Bell Pottinger there and he smiled). Morale of the story – lawyers always act with integrity no matter what!

I wish I could give you more, but the interview was only 30 minutes. One thing I would emphasise is that it was very much a conversation, an enjoyable one for that matter. When I gave an answer to a question, he asked follow-up questions. This means you can pretty much lead the interview. I also asked him a lot of questions during the interview – I asked him what he would do in the above scenario.

What advice would you give to future applicants for the Travers Smith interview?

I would say the best skill to have (which I believe applies to any interview) is empathy/emotional intelligence. When I got accepted to the scheme the day after my interview, I started to feel that the interview was ‘too easy’ – i.e how could I have gained a place on a vac scheme when I had no commercial awareness question and only one moral question. But I heard from people who had been interviewed too, and had a complete different experience. From my perspective, I think this was because I connected with the partner from the outset. Therefore, I would say relax, have FAITH in yourself, and believe that the job is already yours. Get a sense of the energy your interviewer is exuding and try to match that.

I would also advise people to prepare for everything – prepare for the unexpected, for commercial awareness questions, for moral questions, everything. I did prepare for everything, but I guess I was fortunate that day.

Next, do your research on the firm - know the little details. I remember I mentioned their new app for clients (in the employment department) and he seemed impressed, almost like he didn’t think I would know. He even said he was going back to tell his colleague that someone mentioned the app!

Finally, this is a little cheeky but if you’re being interviewed at your uni, try your best to pick one of the earliest slots. I was the first person he interviewed at my uni, and when I accidentally saw the list of people he had to interview, I put on my best show to set the bars high (imo). Also, people get tired during the day so try to get them at their best time.

To reiterate: you don’t have to be the loudest in the room, don’t try to be someone else, have the confidence to be yourself!

Your answer to the ethical question was excellent!

Reactions: Lawgirlxo

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.