US Firms TC Applications/Cover Letters

Jeffrey

Mar 30, 2018
Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on the application process for US firms that favour a CV and cover letter application over the standard online form/application questions way? e.g Greenberg Traurig.

What should be included in the cover letter? What sources can you use to research such firms that do not feature as heavily in publications such as Chambers Student and Lex100?

Thanks!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I'm not as familiar with GT, but in a cover letter, you usually want to cover why commercial law, why the firm and why you.

Have you tried Chambers Associate? Not all relevant, but it can give some background info for US firms: https://www.chambers-associate.com/greenberg-traurig-pa/true-picture/3579/1. I'd also check out Vault: http://www.vault.com/company-profiles/law/greenberg-traurig,-llp/company-overview.aspx.

Finally, I'd use the firm's website. There's usually some good stuff on the press releases/about us/awards page.

bronson

Distinguished Member
    Nov 23, 2018
    Hi all,

Does anyone have any tips on the application process for US firms that favour a CV and cover letter application over the standard online form/application questions way? e.g Greenberg Traurig.

What should be included in the cover letter? What sources can you use to research such firms that do not feature as heavily in publications such as Chambers Student and Lex100?

Thanks!

I've been having this difficulty as well in terms of including information in the application for a firm that doesn't feature heavily in UK publications.

I second what Jaysen said on using Chambers Associate. Sometimes if you can compare the UK Chambers and Chambers Associate to try and pick out things that are emphasised in both publications, that helps draw out what they consider to be there top qualities/ cultural factors.

One thing thats underestimated as well is just doing a basic search in the Financial Times/ Bloomberg for that firm. Doesn't work with every US firm but I've picked up some really interesting deals that you would not find on their website. This will show that you've gone one step beyond the standard student info directories.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: Jaysen

Abstruser

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Jul 19, 2018
    I found Law360 (law360.com) to be a great resource for US legal news, which can help with identifying what sort of deals your target firm has been involved in recently. They also do profiles on certain US law firms. They require a subscription to access most of their stuff, but they have a 1 or 2 week free trial subscription you can sign up for!

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Salma

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.