US firms

AJ

Legendary Member
Sep 11, 2018
Thought it would be worth asking if there was any advice for the US firms?? e.g. Kirkland, Latham, Weil, etc. What do they particularly look for? (Apart from grades)

Salma

Legendary Member
Feb 28, 2018
Thought it would be worth asking if there was any advice for the US firms?? e.g. Kirkland, Latham, Weil, etc. What do they particularly look for? (Apart from grades)

I think a vital piece of advice I can give you if you are considering to apply to US firms, is to understand or appreciate how they differentiate themselves from one another and, most importantly, why you're attracted to say Kirkland over Lathams, for example.

Anyone have anything else they wanna add?

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

As Selma said -- while US firms are often grouped together, it's important to remember that each are different and looking for different things.

So I can give you something a bit concrete. let me tell you how I look at it when it comes to getting candidates ready (I stress this is how I frame it as I'm not a recruiter).

There are certain general boxes you want to tick to be a strong candidate. At the application stage, I would say it goes something like this:
    • Are you a credible candidate? (the minimum threshold tested by the quality of your writing and your grades)
    • Can you demonstrate your motivation for commercial law? (clear reasons for "why commercial law" OR existing experience with commercial law)
    • Are you interested in business? (clear reasons for "why commercial law" OR existing experience OR your answer to a commercial awareness q on application form)
    • Are you interested in our firm? (clear reasons for "why are you applying to XYZ?")
    • Do you have written skills? (the quality of your writing in your application)
    • Do you meet our competencies? (your answer to a general extra curricular question or specific competency question and the quality of your writing)
    • Are you interesting? (your answer to a general extra curricular question or specific competency question)
    These are all weighted differently and doing well in some areas can make up for others. But generally, you want to work on bringing each area up the best you can.

For some US (and some UK) firms, I would say there is an added emphasis on (to be tested at interview):
    • Can you handle the long hours?
    • Do you demonstrate initiative?
    • How will you deal with being visible?
    • Are you entrepreneurial? (A couple of firms)
    For some firms, it will also be necessary to demonstrate your interest in the work they do as an extension of your interest in their firm. For example, an interest in private equity for Weil and Kirkland.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.