Using the same application as previous cycle

YJ

Valued Member
Premium Member
Jan 16, 2021
Hi @Jessica Booker

In the last application cycle I passed to the second stage with two US law firms. I did not pass to the assessment centre as I did not deliver up to the standard during my telephone / video interview and written exercise. Given that my reasons for applying to these firms have not changed and my written applications were successful, is it acceptable to re-use my answers from last cycle when applying to these two firms in this cycle?

Many thanks!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi @Jessica Booker

In the last application cycle I passed to the second stage with two US law firms. I did not pass to the assessment centre as I did not deliver up to the standard during my telephone / video interview and written exercise. Given that my reasons for applying to these firms have not changed and my written applications were successful, is it acceptable to re-use my answers from last cycle when applying to these two firms in this cycle?

Many thanks!
You can do but I would always focus on how your answers can be refined, both from the experiences you have had since your last application and by critically evaluating your writing style. The general themes could be the same, but I very much suspect your answer could be refined.

As a recruiter, one of my structures used to be “if nothing has changed, why would the outcomes be any different this time”, so I think you have to try to demonstrate you have continued to develop yourself and your motivations since your last application.

Reactions: YJ and AvniD

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.