Video Interview help

GA0O13

May 18, 2018
Hi all,

I've just received a video interview invite from Royds Withy King - I've got until Wednesday to complete it. In the description they've just said that they'd like to know more about me through the interview - I haven't done a video interview before, I would appreciate some tips on how I can prepare.

Thanks in advance!:)

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    I remember my first video interview; it was for a law firm open day. It was quite terrifying!

Some tips for preparing and doing well on a video interview:
    • Practice the set-up beforehand. Make sure you're in a well-lit room with a clear background. Test your mic and your webcam.
    • Dress appropriately - not necessarily super formal but I wouldn't go for shorts and a t-shirt.
    • Practice projecting your voice. Speak loudly and clearly. Make sure it can be heard clearly on the other end.
    • Look at the webcam when you speak and not yourself/the screen (this can take a bit of practice!). On this, it helps to put the webcam at eye-level.
    • Treat it like you would a normal interview. Usually, the questions won't be too difficult but practice the typical - why commercial law, why this firm, a few competencies and a commercial question.
    • So practice answers to these questions and practice speaking them aloud, ideally to someone else on Skype to test how you sound.
    • If you stumble during the video interview, don't worry, recruiters know you'll be nervous. Pause, take a deep breath and re-start.
    • Likewise, if you mess up on the first question, don't worry, just recompose yourself for the rest. These things happen.
    • There's usually a time limit, so try to keep to 2-3 answers per question. Practice timing yourself - answering those questions in 60/90 seconds.
    • Keep your answers to the point. Unlike a face to face interview, the partners don't have the opportunity to interrogate you further, so your answers should stand on their own.
    • If it's the same structure, you should have time between the questions to write down notes. So keep a pen and paper with you. Keep your notes brief.
    • Practice, practice, practice.
    Good luck! Let me know if anything is unclear :)

Reactions: Sofia

GA0O13

May 18, 2018
    Thanks, those tips are really helpful, I'll prepare accordingly. Just wanted to check - so it's fine to write a rough plan for each question in the time they give to prepare? I was also wondering how to approach the 'why this firm' question, in the application form they didn't ask that question but instead asked what areas of law are you interested in / what extra curricular activities/traits would support the application - so in the answering the question for the video interview, I'm not sure what to focus on.

Thanks for your help!

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks, those tips are really helpful, I'll prepare accordingly. Just wanted to check - so it's fine to write a rough plan for each question in the time they give to prepare?

Yes, if they give you the time then feel free to jot something down. It may also help to put some notes on your desk, just don't rely on them or read off script (and best to keep them out of camera shot).

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks, those tips are really helpful, I'll prepare accordingly. Just wanted to check - so it's fine to write a rough plan for each question in the time they give to prepare? I was also wondering how to approach the 'why this firm' question, in the application form they didn't ask that question but instead asked what areas of law are you interested in / what extra curricular activities/traits would support the application - so in the answering the question for the video interview, I'm not sure what to focus on.

Thanks for your help!

Just saw the edit.

First, you need to understand the firm, so I'd spend some time researching things like:
    • What practice areas do they operate in? Which ones are the most successful? What sectors do they operate in?
    • Who are their clients?
    • Are they global? Where?
    • How have they grown?
    • What's their training or development programme like?
    • Have you met anyone at the firm?
    • Are they innovative? How?
    • How do they compete with other firms?
    • How many trainees do they take on?
    • Do trainees tend to stay at the firm?
    • How big are they?
    • Do they use technology?
    Once you have some answers, try to think about which of these answers interest you. For example, does it suit your working style and your interests? Does it provide unique opportunities to train? Does it tell you that the firm invests in its employees? Is it the kind of firm you can see yourself working at in the long term?

When you choose these reasons - and 2-3 reasons is typically enough - try to make them specific. Rather than saying you like that they are forward-thinking, think about how you can use an example to give a concrete answer. What was it about their close-knit network of national offices that made you think you'd like to work there? Why does the fact that they're organised into industry sectors interest you? What could you gain from their unique reverse mentorship scheme?

For every reason, you need evidence to back it up and you need to say why that appeals to you. This is often missed by candidates and it's important. Law firms don't want you to tell them about themselves. They want to see why you like what you see.

When it comes to presenting your answer, I used to find it helpful to have an opening structure "there are three reasons...". That's not necessary at all, it just helped me to stay on track.

Don't script your answers but do rehearse them. You want to show that you've thought about this question and have a carefully thought-out answer (but not a memorised one).

Reactions: GA0O13

GA0O13

May 18, 2018
    Thank you, that really helps. I'll go over my research and come up with 3 reasons. Just had one more question - is it 60 seconds to read the question & think and then another 60 seconds to answer the question or is 60-90 seconds to think and answer the question?

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    Thank you, that really helps. I'll go over my research and come up with 3 reasons. Just had one more question - is it 60 seconds to read the question & think and then another 60 seconds to answer the question or is 60-90 seconds to think and answer the question?

I think they vary a lot. One of mine was 30 secs to prep and 60 seconds to respond. But I've seen ones with 15 secs to prepare and 1 minute to respond and another one with 30 seconds to prepare and 2 minutes to respond!

Nicole

Legendary Member
    TCLA Moderator
    Feb 28, 2018
    I think they vary a lot. One of mine was 30 secs to prep and 60 seconds to respond. But I've seen ones with 15 secs to prepare and 1 minute to respond and another one with 30 seconds to prepare and 2 minutes to respond!

Agreed with this - it depends on how they structure their video interviews.

Also one tip I'd add is that if they haven't asked you a commercial question in your app form, it's possible they may ask you one at the video interview.

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018

Good point. In fact, it may be better to assume that you have no time to prepare in between, just in case you don't. Then if you do, it's a bonus.

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.