Video interview vs Application answers

C

Esteemed Member
M&A Bootcamp
Nov 7, 2019
Hello,

I have a question I'm very much confused about and would love some insight on it.

Would it be okay to say some of the things you've said on your application form to say it again in the interviews?
For example, if the application form asks "What makes this firm unique?" or "Why commercial law?" or "When have you demonstrated the skills necessary for a solicitor?" and asks very similar questions in the interview too, is it advisable to say something totally different to what you wrote on the form? Or do GR tend not to look back at your application form when reviewing your VI?

I'm asking this because most of the time I've really said absolutely all my reasons why I believe the firm in unique etc in the app form, and really can't think of new things to say in the interview!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Reactions: l0133

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hello,

I have a question I'm very much confused about and would love some insight on it.

Would it be okay to say some of the things you've said on your application form to say it again in the interviews?
    For example, if the application form asks "What makes this firm unique?" or "Why commercial law?" or "When have you demonstrated the skills necessary for a solicitor?" and asks very similar questions in the interview too, is it advisable to say something totally different to what you wrote on the form? Or do GR tend not to look back at your application form when reviewing your VI?

I'm asking this because most of the time I've really said absolutely all my reasons why I believe the firm in unique etc in the app form, and really can't think of new things to say in the interview!

Any help would be appreciated, thank you :)

Yep definitely. It makes sense that the VI is very similar to the application answers if the questions are the same, because those would be your genuine reasons for answering those questions.

The only thing I'd flag is that you'd want to adapt the way you deliver your answers for video (as I'm sure you do) because there's a fair big difference in the way things come across in written form and over video. We'd also factor the time limit, so you may need to be more selective in your answers and/or play around with the structure.

Reactions: l0133 and al2020

C

Esteemed Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Nov 7, 2019
    Yep definitely. It makes sense that the VI is very similar to the application answers if the questions are the same, because those would be your genuine reasons for answering those questions.

The only thing I'd flag is that you'd want to adapt the way you deliver your answers for video (as I'm sure you do) because there's a fair big difference in the way things come across in written form and over video. We'd also factor the time limit, so you may need to be more selective in your answers and/or play around with the structure.
    Okay perfect, so its fine to repeat some of the things you said in the application form. Thanks Jaysen! And yes I make sure to adapt it to an interview! I guess the only reason I see behind firms asking the same questions in VI is purely to see how you communicate in real time?

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Okay perfect, so its fine to repeat some of the things you said in the application form. Thanks Jaysen! And yes I make sure to adapt it to an interview! I guess the only reason I see behind firms asking the same questions in VI is purely to see how you communicate in real time?

Exactly, that's the way I see it too. I think it's also an opportunity to see whether there is genuine enthusiasm behind your answers, or whether it's something you've just memorised/said to impress.

Reactions: C

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.