Watson Glaser Practice Questions

H48

Star Member
Oct 9, 2020
Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but can anyone help with this WG inferences practice question?
The passage is "James is a human rights activist who was fined £60 on three different days during the past month for smoking in public at his workplace. On each of the occasions, he admitted to the act peacefully, telling policemen that he is unwilling to conform with such a breach of people's right to privacy. James paid the three fines shortly after receiving them."

The statement is "James has spent at least a couple hundreds of pounds in his struggle to oppose violation of civil liberties this year."

The correct answer is "probably true." However, I would have said "insufficient data." Even though James is a human rights activist who has spent £180 to oppose violation of civil liberties this month, there is no indication that other measures he takes to protect human rights involves fines and/or money. Even using outside knowledge, I just can't see how this is "probably true" and I've seen very similar questions where the answer is "insufficient data." Any help is appreciated!

Reactions: Kevinm

OB

Legendary Member
2020 Community Winner
Junior Lawyer
  • Feb 10, 2020
    Apologies if this is the wrong thread, but can anyone help with this WG inferences practice question?
    The passage is "James is a human rights activist who was fined £60 on three different days during the past month for smoking in public at his workplace. On each of the occasions, he admitted to the act peacefully, telling policemen that he is unwilling to conform with such a breach of people's right to privacy. James paid the three fines shortly after receiving them."

The statement is "James has spent at least a couple hundreds of pounds in his struggle to oppose violation of civil liberties this year."

The correct answer is "probably true." However, I would have said "insufficient data." Even though James is a human rights activist who has spent £180 to oppose violation of civil liberties this month, there is no indication that other measures he takes to protect human rights involves fines and/or money. Even using outside knowledge, I just can't see how this is "probably true" and I've seen very similar questions where the answer is "insufficient data." Any help is appreciated!
    I guess you could infer that this isn’t a new belief from him so he has probably received these fines before and paid them like in the statement. But you don’t know that for certain so it’s probably true. Insufficient data would be if it mentioned something completely unmentioned in the statement. That’s just my take on it, could be wrong tho!

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Zoo

Esteemed Member
    Future Trainee
    Apr 21, 2019

I think it's pretty much what @OliviaBurn has said. James is an activist and is 'unwilling to conform' so it's likely he repeated the offence beyond the three times referred to here/ committed other offences. Also, that James paid the fines quickly after receiving them suggests that he can afford to pay fines for protests, so the fines may not be a barrier for him. Plus, if he managed to rack up fines of £180 in only one month, it's likely he'd have racked up more than an additional £20 over the rest of the year. This isn't stated in the info but it's likely so it's probably true.

That's how I've read it anyway!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.