WBD Application Question 2022

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Hello guys,

I thought of creating a thread for WBD application question.

The point of this thread is to discuss the application question and how to approach the application question.

The application question - Considering the location in which you wish to train; tell us about a local project or development that has interested you. Explain why it is of interest and how, as a business, we could provide support? (5000 characters)

How would everyone approach this question any suggestions would be much appreciated.

anon123456789

Valued Member
  • Oct 25, 2021
    Thanks for creating this thread Asil! I'm going to do a bit of brainstorming soon so will add that to this discussion when I do! I don't think HS2 would be a bad thing to talk about at all because you can probably talk about how you could bring in the expertise of other offices in the locations HS2 is concerned with. Probably just a case of making sure it's really tailored to the firm which I don't think you can go wrong with.

AvniD

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    Oct 25, 2021
    Hello guys,

I thought of creating a thread for WBD application question.

The point of this thread is to discuss the application question and how to approach the application question.

The application question - Considering the location in which you wish to train; tell us about a local project or development that has interested you. Explain why it is of interest and how, as a business, we could provide support? (5000 characters)

How would everyone approach this question any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Honestly love this application question. Such a great way to demonstrate your motivations for working at the firm/firm research and your commerciality all in one place.

I would state the location ➡️ state the project and give a brief background for it ➡️ I would then move to explain my interest in it (back it up with evidence- something you read, an event you attended etc.) ➡️ one by one, break down aspects of the project that the firm could lend its expertise to. If this is HS2, think of the role the firm plays in liaising with local authorities, in construction, in dealing with environmental concerns, employment etc. The list really is endless!

Last edited:

Asil Ahmad

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Forum Winner
  • Mar 29, 2020
    Honestly love this application question. Such a great way to demonstrate your motivations for working at the firm and your commerciality all in one place.

I would state the location ➡️ state the project and give a brief background for it ➡️ I would then move to explain my interest in it (back it up with evidence- something you read, an event you attended etc.) ➡️ one by one, break down aspects of the project that the firm could lend its expertise to. If this is HS2, think of the role the firm plays in liaising with local authorities, in construction, in dealing with environmental concerns, employment etc. The list really is endless!
    Thank you very much for this it is really helpful and as always your guidance is always helpful.

• 🤝
    Reactions: Alison C and AvniD

alexxx1

Mar 11, 2022
    Hi, I am also in the process of applying and writing my personal statement however I am struggling with this question. Does anyone have any tips or resources in looking at upcoming projects / developments to answer this question. North East based.

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022
    Is anyone/ did anyone have problems submitting their applications?
    The portal wont allow me to save my personal details so I can't submit because it thinks I haven't completed the application 😓
    I have emailed grad recruitment with screenshots but am pretty anxious, ngl 😫 I already feel like I'm submitting too late.

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Is anyone/ did anyone have problems submitting their applications?
    The portal wont allow me to save my personal details so I can't submit because it thinks I haven't completed the application 😓
    I have emailed grad recruitment with screenshots but am pretty anxious, ngl 😫 I already feel like I'm submitting too late.
    WBD isn't rolling so as long as you submit it before the deadline (31st March) you will be fine :) I'd say just wait for grad recruitment to reply.

Try using a different browser in the mean time to see if it lets you save on the portal? Chrome is usually the recommended one

Reactions: Raynz and Asil Ahmad

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022
    I don’t think they put the exact dates but it will either be in June/July.

Has anyone heard back yet or know when they’ll get back to us?
    Just received the pymetrics email which said they are now reviewing all applications. Thinking we'll hear back when pymetrics have been submitted and applications reviewed (I assume).

Reactions: Ameliaa

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Just received the pymetrics email which said they are now reviewing all applications. Thinking we'll hear back when pymetrics have been submitted and applications reviewed (I assume).
    I just got mine too :) is anyone preparing for it in anyway? Not sure what it's going to entail but the email said it's supposed to be "fun".

Reactions: Raynz

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022
    I just got mine too :) is anyone preparing for it in anyway? Not sure what it's going to entail but the email said it's supposed to be "fun".
    No set way to prepare. There are about 12 'games' which you can read about online and watch gifs of.
    Online may suggest to research the firm's values and focus on those when playing the games. Doing that will mean you have to know what each game is testing and practice those games more.
    At the end of the day, the above could skew your answers disingenuously which may or may not help you because we don't actually know what the firm are looking for from the test 🤓

Short answer: read about it online, and then have a go. The system will save your results for 330 days so if you need to do another pymetrics test, you can use your current results within 330 days.

Reactions: Ameliaa

Beas11

Standard Member
    Premium Member
    Apr 6, 2022
    Has anyone attended a pre-recorded interview with WBD before? I can see this is the next stage, I haven't yet heard back but was just wondering if anyone knew what it was like

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    No set way to prepare. There are about 12 'games' which you can read about online and watch gifs of.
    Online may suggest to research the firm's values and focus on those when playing the games. Doing that will mean you have to know what each game is testing and practice those games more.
    At the end of the day, the above could skew your answers disingenuously which may or may not help you because we don't actually know what the firm are looking for from the test 🤓

Short answer: read about it online, and then have a go. The system will save your results for 330 days so if you need to do another pymetrics test, you can use your current results within 330 days.
    Thanks for the advice! Have been reading up on it today and most people have said they couldn't exactly prep for it. Womble have sent me an email advising me to complete the test within 24 hours despite the deadline being on Monday. So might just go for it tomorrow

Raynz

Gold Member
    Premium Member
  • Jan 19, 2022
    Thanks for the advice! Have been reading up on it today and most people have said they couldn't exactly prep for it. Womble have sent me an email advising me to complete the test within 24 hours despite the deadline being on Monday. So might just go for it tomorrow
    Same! I thought it was a bit cheeky to send that reminder email because I low key thought I had missed the deadline and made me panic 😅

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Jan 4, 2022
    Same! I thought it was a bit cheeky to send that reminder email because I low key thought I had missed the deadline and made me panic 😅
    Ahaha I agree! I just completed mine and people were right about not really being able to prep for it. Overall was a little bit stressful at the time but wasn't too bad at the end! Good luck :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.