CC77

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2020
Hi everyone!

I’ve been invited to complete a video interview for Womble Bond Dickinson. I have little experience completing pre-recorded video interviews, so I’m very nervous. I was wondering if anyone has an insight into what sort of questions come up as well as any general advice?

Thanks!

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
Hi everyone!

I’ve been invited to complete a video interview for Womble Bond Dickinson. I have little experience completing pre-recorded video interviews, so I’m very nervous. I was wondering if anyone has an insight into what sort of questions come up as well as any general advice?

Thanks!
Hi @CC77, congratulations on getting invited to the Video Interview stage at Womble Bond Dickinson!

I don't know about WBD in particular, but here are some general video interview tips:

Video Interviews - Tips and tricks:

How to sound more natural in answering VI questions - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....cheme-applications-discussion.2732/post-66504

More general tips on VIs - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nything-new-tcla-team-members.2911/post-46361 (refer to the post above the linked post as well)

TCLA's founder @Jaysen has compiled some of his own tips:

You're not alone if you find video interviews hard.

I suspect you haven't had significant exposure to answering one-way pre-recorded questions in front of a camera. It's a weird set-up, so it's perfectly normal if you struggle with keeping to time and staying composed.

The good thing is you can get better at video interviews over time. You can improve by practising short answers to on-the-spot questions.

To prepare, I suggest simulating a video interview as closely as possible. Find a time when you can complete your video interview free from distraction. Then:

1. Find a list of interview questions (like this one or this one) that you haven't prepared for.
  2. Give yourself 30 seconds to 1 minute to prepare.
  3. Record yourself answering those questions under varying strict time conditions of 1-2 minutes.
  4. Review your recording: Are you projecting your voice? Varying your tone? Gesturing? If you were the interviewer, would you find your answers convincing?
  5. Rinse and repeat until you can comfortably* answer any question within the time limit.
You will never know the questions that will come up across all video interviews, so the goal is to get better at answering on-the-spot questions, while staying composed and finishing on time.

Your answers will never be perfect, but you will get better at forming good answers under tight time conditions.

Finally, I have written a reflection here on what I found personally contributed to success in video interviews.

I hope that all of this helps :)

Reactions: Ameliaa and CC77

WannabeLawyer1

Apr 20, 2022
I have also just received the invitation to the video interview! Unfortunately, I have 2 exams (and a variety of other commitments) during the next week to prepare for and I'm unsure how I'll manage that and produce a good video interview.

Does anyone know if they prejudice your application if I was to ask for a 48 hour extension?

Would it hurt my application if I asked for a couple extra days or would it be advisable to find some way to complete this by the deadline.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

James Carrabino

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Gold Member
Premium Member
Forum Team
Junior Lawyer 11
Oct 12, 2021
I have also just received the invitation to the video interview! Unfortunately, I have 2 exams (and a variety of other commitments) during the next week to prepare for and I'm unsure how I'll manage that and produce a good video interview.

Does anyone know if they prejudice your application if I was to ask for a 48 hour extension?

Would it hurt my application if I asked for a couple extra days or would it be advisable to find some way to complete this by the deadline.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
@Jessica Booker could probably advise better on this, but in my view I would not think that it would prejudice your application to ask for longer to complete the Video Interview, but at the same time I am not sure how likely they are to give you more time for the reasons that you have given.

Video Interviews need not take too long to prepare for and often you will be freshest if you have not obsessed over every possible question that might come up and over-rehearsed answers. If you could afford to spend 2-3 hours at some point during the week researching the firm and then completing the Video Interview, I am sure you will do great!

CC77

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2020
Hi @CC77, congratulations on getting invited to the Video Interview stage at Womble Bond Dickinson!

I don't know about WBD in particular, but here are some general video interview tips:

Video Interviews - Tips and tricks:

How to sound more natural in answering VI questions - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....cheme-applications-discussion.2732/post-66504

More general tips on VIs - https://www.thecorporatelawacademy....nything-new-tcla-team-members.2911/post-46361 (refer to the post above the linked post as well)

TCLA's founder @Jaysen has compiled some of his own tips:

You're not alone if you find video interviews hard.

I suspect you haven't had significant exposure to answering one-way pre-recorded questions in front of a camera. It's a weird set-up, so it's perfectly normal if you struggle with keeping to time and staying composed.

The good thing is you can get better at video interviews over time. You can improve by practising short answers to on-the-spot questions.

To prepare, I suggest simulating a video interview as closely as possible. Find a time when you can complete your video interview free from distraction. Then:

1. Find a list of interview questions (like this one or this one) that you haven't prepared for.
  2. Give yourself 30 seconds to 1 minute to prepare.
  3. Record yourself answering those questions under varying strict time conditions of 1-2 minutes.
  4. Review your recording: Are you projecting your voice? Varying your tone? Gesturing? If you were the interviewer, would you find your answers convincing?
  5. Rinse and repeat until you can comfortably* answer any question within the time limit.
You will never know the questions that will come up across all video interviews, so the goal is to get better at answering on-the-spot questions, while staying composed and finishing on time.

Your answers will never be perfect, but you will get better at forming good answers under tight time conditions.

Finally, I have written a reflection here on what I found personally contributed to success in video interviews.

I hope that all of this helps :)
Thank you so much for this! I really appreciate it 😊

• Love
Reactions: James Carrabino

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
I was wondering if anyone has done the VI yet?

I've received two reminders from the firm to complete it even though the deadline for the interview is on the 26th. I wanted to thoroughly research the firm before I attempted it but these emails are making me nervous 😂

CC77

Premium Member
Aug 25, 2020

I've received two reminders from the firm to complete it even though the deadline for the interview is on the 26th. I wanted to thoroughly research the firm before I attempted it but these emails are making me nervous 😂
I haven’t done it yet the same reasons. I received reminders too. They also sent a lot of reminders to complete the pymetrics, so I think it’s standard for them to send reminders every few days

• 🤝
Reactions: Ameliaa

mads_g

Star Member
Premium Member
Nov 20, 2021

I'm in the same position! Hoping to do it tomorrow but wanted to give myself a good amount of time to prep. Wouldn't worry about the reminders - I'm sure they just do it to make sure you haven't missed the invite.

• 🤝
Reactions: Ameliaa and CC77

Ameliaa

Legendary Member
Premium Member
Jan 4, 2022
To anyone who has completed the WBD video interview - is the time to read the question/prep before answering unlimited? The practice question suggests so - any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
We have 30 seconds to prep for the questions! But we do have the option to re-record our answers if the first attempt didn't go as planned

Reactions: b123 and Unknown

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.