Weil, Gotshal & Manges Vacation Scheme Application Questions

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
Trainee
Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    Hi guys,

Having just seen that Weil has opened their Vacation Scheme applications, I thought I'd start a thread to collate people's responses to their questions.

Their form seems fairly straightforward with no cover letter but these three questions.

1. Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you have chosen Weil. (300 words) [Fairly straightforward - I imagine mentioning their strengths in private equity, big clients e.g. Advent International and Goldman Sachs, recent deals, low trainee intake so large responsibility not a cog in the wheel etc. are things to mention here]

2. Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application. (300 words) [I imagine any ECs and positions of responsibility is fine here?]

3. Please note any specific questions you would like answered at interview. (300 words) [I've never seen in this in an online application before - is it a trick questions? What sort of things would you say?]

Thanks guys - look forward to reading your responses below.

Daniel

Last edited:

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi guys,

Having just seen that Weil has opened their Vacation Scheme applications, I thought I'd start a thread to collate people's responses to their questions.

Their form seems fairly straightforward with no cover letter but these three questions.

1. Please explain why you have decided to pursue a career as a commercial solicitor and why you have chosen Weil. (300 words) [Fairly straightforward - I imagine mentioning their strengths in private equity, big clients e.g. Advent International and Goldman Sachs, recent deals, low trainee intake so large responsibility not a clog in the wheel etc. are things to mention here]

2. Please mention anything further which you think is relevant to your application. (300 words) [I imagine any ECs and positions of responsibility is fine here?]

3. Please note any specific questions you would like answered at interview. (300 words) [I've never seen in this in an online application before - is it a trick questions? What sort of things would you say?]

Thanks guys - look forward to reading your responses below.

Daniel

The last question is nothing to worry about. Read up on the firm and asked informed questions. In my interview, the partner asked me if I still wanted those questions answered -- or I was told I could ask new questions.

Reactions: Daniel Boden

Coralin96

Valued Member
    Early Bird
    Feb 28, 2018
    I really like Weil's app! I think they just prefer assessing students through simple questions. Like you said they want to show you understand the firm (PE) and they'll probably be looking to see whether you're they're kind of person with the EC question.

Reactions: Daniel Boden and Salma

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
    Staff member
    TCLA Moderator
    Gold Member
    Premium Member
    M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Thanks @ Jaysen. Do you know if they take most of their trainees from the vacation scheme?

As far as I'm aware -- yes.

Sometimes, firms will get a weaker vac scheme round and recruit more from direct TC applicants, but that's not something I'd bet on. I'd suggest applying for a vac scheme if you want to maximise your chances.

Daniel Boden

Legendary Member
    Trainee
    Highest Rated Member
  • Sep 6, 2018
    The last question is nothing to worry about. Read up on the firm and asked informed questions. In my interview, the partner asked me if I still wanted those questions answered -- or I was told I could ask new questions.

Ah I see okay, thanks a lot for clarifying this Jaysen!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.