Which BPP provider?

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
Hi everyone.
I’ve got a TC with a firm that is sending its future trainees to BPP Holborn. They prefer London as it lets trainees get to know each other, but they are accommodating with studying outside of London

I’m interested in BPP Leeds, and wondered if anyone could help me see the drawbacks (and benefits!) of choosing a different provider (specially thoughts on BPP Leeds if anyone has attended).

Also how would the classes work, because in London you are in classes with your other trainees?
what’s the quality of teaching difference?
Also do BPP mark you against overall class performance?

thank you so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
Hi everyone.
I’ve got a TC with a firm that is sending its future trainees to BPP Holborn. They prefer London as it lets trainees get to know each other, but they are accommodating with studying outside of London

I’m interested in BPP Leeds, and wondered if anyone could help me see the drawbacks (and benefits!) of choosing a different provider (specially thoughts on BPP Leeds if anyone has attended).

Also how would the classes work, because in London you are in classes with your other trainees?
what’s the quality of teaching difference?
Also do BPP mark you against overall class performance?

thank you so much!
Whether this is for the GDL or the LPC, marking systems are going to be pretty standardised where they are regulated courses. I wouldn’t worry about there being too much of a discrepancy in courses, especially when ultimately the provider is the same, it’s just different campus locations.

The SQE courses won’t be regulated, and so this could be different. But given BPP won’t be the ones implementing or marking your SQE assessments (this is done by Kaplan), then it’s very much going to come down to teaching standards. However, given the SQE is so new and no one has completed it yet, it’s impossible to know what the teaching standards are like. I think to complicate matters, when organisations like BPP have their SQE pass rates published, it won’t be by location, just be institution.

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
Whether this is for the GDL or the LPC, marking systems are going to be pretty standardised where they are regulated courses. I wouldn’t worry about there being too much of a discrepancy in courses, especially when ultimately the provider is the same, it’s just different campus locations.

The SQE courses won’t be regulated, and so this could be different. But given BPP won’t be the ones implementing or marking your SQE assessments (this is done by Kaplan), then it’s very much going to come down to teaching standards. However, given the SQE is so new and no one has completed it yet, it’s impossible to know what the teaching standards are like. I think to complicate matters, when organisations like BPP have their SQE pass rates published, it won’t be by location, just be institution.
thank you so much for your reply!

Sorry, to clarify it is for the LPC. Do you think there are disadvantages of going to a different provider than other trainees (other than the fact you wouldn't get to know your cohort during the study period)? Thanks so much!

Jessica Booker

Legendary Member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Graduate Recruitment
Premium Member
Forum Team
Aug 1, 2019
thank you so much for your reply!

Sorry, to clarify it is for the LPC. Do you think there are disadvantages of going to a different provider than other trainees (other than the fact you wouldn't get to know your cohort during the study period)? Thanks so much!
You are not going to a different provider though, you are just going to a different campus. BBP will be the same institution whether you study in Leeds or London.

I would double-check with BPP whether you can take the same optional modules as you could in London. If the firm stipulates they want/would prefer you to take certain modules, then just make sure they can be taken in the location you want to study at.

Beyond that and not being able to get to know your fellow trainee cohort though, I don't think there are going to be any significant differences. Even with getting to know your cohort, you could just put the effort into networking with your trainee cohort during the academic year, whether that is virtually or even popping down to London from time to time (especially if the firm is organising events/socials for you).

Lots of people start TCs without doing their firm's specific LPC course, often where they have self-funded the course. I really don't think it makes much of a difference to their experience (although maybe those who have actually done that might say differently).

m90

Future Trainee
Jul 23, 2021
You are not going to a different provider though, you are just going to a different campus. BBP will be the same institution whether you study in Leeds or London.

I would double-check with BPP whether you can take the same optional modules as you could in London. If the firm stipulates they want/would prefer you to take certain modules, then just make sure they can be taken in the location you want to study at.

Beyond that and not being able to get to know your fellow trainee cohort though, I don't think there are going to be any significant differences. Even with getting to know your cohort, you could just put the effort into networking with your trainee cohort during the academic year, whether that is virtually or even popping down to London from time to time (especially if the firm is organising events/socials for you).

Lots of people start TCs without doing their firm's specific LPC course, often where they have self-funded the course. I really don't think it makes much of a difference to their experience (although maybe those who have actually done that might say differently).
that's really helpful - will have to check if they do offer the electives the firm wants. thanks for your help! :)

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.