White & Case Applications 2020/21

nisadee

Valued Member
Oct 9, 2019
Is it worth applying for the vac scheme if I got rejected from the open day? They did encourage to still apply in the email but I realised it might have been down to a few grammatical mistakes in my open day app :/

Lily721

Legendary Member
Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    I think 'strong 2:1' usually implies a 65 and above, and 'high 2:1' implies 67 and above. Not sure where exactly 'solid' would fall, but I would guess it's around the 65 mark.

I think that makes sense. But then I know different unis place different emphasis on each year of the degree. For example, my uni didn't count first year grades, and my second year grades did not amount to 50% of my overall classification. I do wonder then how is it that the firm would properly assess if an individual has a strong degree classification or not given such differences.

Jen E C

Esteemed Member
    Sep 6, 2018
    I think that makes sense. But then I know different unis place different emphasis on each year of the degree. For example, my uni didn't count first year grades, and my second year grades did not amount to 50% of my overall classification. I do wonder then how is it that the firm would properly assess if an individual has a strong degree classification or not given such differences.

If you have graduated, you will likely be asked for an overall score. I believe I did so for W&C.

If you haven't graduated yet, I think they would make a rough estimate looking at the grades you submit in your application form, as you will need to provide each module and their respective grades. That is probably indicative of what your overall performance is likely to be, regardless of weighting.

Having said that, W&C also uses the contextual recruitment system, so I'm sure this will also have an influence.

lawhopeful

Jan 10, 2021
    Hi all, working on my application for spring/summer vacation scheme but aware it is rolling deadline and the deadline is 15th January. Since its only 5 days before is there any point applying or do you think I go for the training contract instead? I did two vacation schemes in summer of 2021 so do have some experience.

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Thanks so much! Still expecting a rejection though because my cover letter was SO long but this gives me hope :)
    If this helps my cover letter for last years vacation scheme was over 1000 words :oops: and still got invited to an assessment centre after my video interview! so although they are definitely looking for clear, concise writing, having a long cover letter won't be the end of the world!

Dwight

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
    Dec 21, 2019
    If this helps my cover letter for last years vacation scheme was over 1000 words :oops: and still got invited to an assessment centre after my video interview! so although they are definitely looking for clear, concise writing, having a long cover letter won't be the end of the world!

Hi @bethbristol

If you don't mind me asking, did you apply for spring or summer and when did you hear back from them? Just curious when I should expect to hear from them for the summer VS.

Thank you

bethbristol

Legendary Member
    Future Trainee
    Oct 30, 2019
    Hi @bethbristol

If you don't mind me asking, did you apply for spring or summer and when did you hear back from them? Just curious when I should expect to hear from them for the summer VS.

Thank you
    I applied to the Spring VS on the 6th January 2020, got invited to VI on the 24th Jan and then invited to interview on the 7th Feb but I think that I heard back earlier because it was Spring

Reactions: Dwight

Lily721

Legendary Member
    Premium Member
  • Oct 7, 2020
    Is there anyone that has heard anything from W&C for either the spring or the summer scheme? I find it weird that they haven’t been in touch with anyone especially as they recruit on a rolling basis

sabma

Esteemed Member
    Junior Lawyer
    Sep 22, 2018
    Is there anyone that has heard anything from W&C for either the spring or the summer scheme? I find it weird that they haven’t been in touch with anyone especially as they recruit on a rolling basis

Maybe it's because they haven't interviewed their Winter Vac schemers for TC yet? I haven't seen any TC offers. So they might be focusing on that before they get to us. This is just what I think though - pure speculation. Hopefully we hear soon enough.

Reactions: Lily721

bel123456

Valued Member
    Jan 24, 2020
    Maybe it's because they haven't interviewed their Winter Vac schemers for TC yet? I haven't seen any TC offers. So they might be focusing on that before they get to us. This is just what I think though - pure speculation. Hopefully we hear soon enough.
    last year I applied pretty early and only heard back after the deadline, so I think you will hear back next week! also, I think I did see some TC offers being given out post-WVS yesterday/the day before. all the best :) fingers crossed for you!

Reactions: dosblancos7

CF

Distinguished Member
    Premium Member
    Sep 25, 2018
    Hi @Sim96, the key skills W&C look for are:

• Intellectual, legal and analytical ability
    • Tenacity and determination
    • Client-readiness and maturity
    • Initiative and entrepreneurial mindset
    • Teamwork and leadership
    • Global mindset

• ℹ️
    Reactions: Bugsy Malone

Jean

Star Member
    M&A Bootcamp
    Aug 15, 2018
    I’m not sure if I’m overthinking it, but did you guys use the same examples from your work experience section in your cover letter?

I did, but changed it up a little. The work experience section was a lot more detailed - described what my tasks were and what I learnt from it. On the cover letter, I used a combination of work experience and academics to explain my interest in law and how the firm fits what I'm looking for. I used skills I developed from other activities for the 'why me' portion.

Reactions: Zaynah

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.