White & Case Applications 2020/21

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
Dec 21, 2021
@Dheepa

Hi Dheepa,

Could you please help with the following:

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.
  • Is it okay to bullet-point for this?
  • How much did you write for this (my answer is quite long given the q asks about quite alot)?
  • Is it okay to separate into sections using headings- i.e. 1)Interests and extra-curricular activities; 2)positions of responsibility; 3)achievements

Dheepa

Legendary Member
Staff member
Future Trainee
TCLA Moderator
Premium Member
Forum Team
M&A Bootcamp
Junior Lawyer 43
  • Jan 20, 2019
    @Dheepa

Hi Dheepa,

Could you please help with the following:

Please give details of any interests and extra-curricular activities, including any positions of responsibility or achievements.
    • Is it okay to bullet-point for this?
    • How much did you write for this (my answer is quite long given the q asks about quite alot)?
    • Is it okay to separate into sections using headings- i.e. 1)Interests and extra-curricular activities; 2)positions of responsibility; 3)achievements

Hey!

1. I would not recommend bullet pointing especially where there is no word limit for the question.
    2. I think my answer was about 300 words and I'd recommend keeping it around there, if anything to force yourself to keep your writing as concise as possible.
    3. I personally didn't use headings but I don't think it would be an issue if you used them as long as you're still writing in full prose.

One piece of advice a future trainee gave me when I applied was to avoid repeating yourself in the app. So if under the "why you" section of your cover letter you're using certain extra-curriculars as examples, I'd stick to mentioning completely different activities/interests etc for this question. Ultimately you want to show GR you're a person with varied interests which is something not repeating yourself achieves. Also, I applied to W&C twice in the same cycle and with the second app this is the approach I used and it ended up being successful.

Hope that helps!

Reactions: TCApp2021

TCApp2021

Legendary Member
    Dec 21, 2021
    Hey!

1. I would not recommend bullet pointing especially where there is no word limit for the question.
    2. I think my answer was about 300 words and I'd recommend keeping it around there, if anything to force yourself to keep your writing as concise as possible.
    3. I personally didn't use headings but I don't think it would be an issue if you used them as long as you're still writing in full prose.

One piece of advice a future trainee gave me when I applied was to avoid repeating yourself in the app. So if under the "why you" section of your cover letter you're using certain extra-curriculars as examples, I'd stick to mentioning completely different activities/interests etc for this question. Ultimately you want to show GR you're a person with varied interests which is something not repeating yourself achieves. Also, I applied to W&C twice in the same cycle and with the second app this is the approach I used and it ended up being successful.

Hope that helps!
    Thank you!

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.