Why You?

RubySmithers

Star Member
Jun 25, 2020
Hi All,

What is the best way, or the most effective way, of answering the question 'Why You'?

I thought that linking in my experiences, skills and desire to pursue a particular area of law would be a good start. But, how can I say that I believe I can add value to the firm when I'm only applying for a vacation scheme?

Looking forward to everyone's responses!

Ruby

James Kitching

Distinguished Member
Oct 26, 2019
Don’t be worried about the value you can add during a vac scheme, as ultimately your end goal is a TC and a (potential) career there. Future thinking is a requirement.
You are correct when you say about highlighting your skills and desire to pursue a particular area of law. For me, my personal transferable skills from my STEM degree, my in-depth knowledge of my sector of interest (healthcare, biotech etc) and my commercial interest (and the reasons behind it) are key talking points when saying ‘why me’.
What skills do you have which will make you an asset to the firm? Don’t be vague, make it personal and make it relevant to the firm you are applying to. In doing this, your application should be unique and interesting to read, which is crucial as it is a human who is reviewing the applications after all!

I have realised that I haven’t really said how you can add value, well in my opinion (for what it’s worth) take your skills and compare them to legal practice sectors (maybe your favourite practice area?) and see how they overlap. For example, I enjoy analysing data, weighing up different opinions on a concept and arriving at informed conclusions, which to me relates to dispute resolution.
Also, are you knowledgable about say aviation, gaming, life sciences or the energy sector? If your firm is big on those sectors and you know a lot about one or two of them then that will be an advantage when dealing with clients in said sector, right?

Anyways, hope that helped despite my answer being rather unstructured and likely convoluted.

Reactions: Jaysen

Jaysen

Founder, TCLA
Staff member
TCLA Moderator
Gold Member
Premium Member
M&A Bootcamp
  • Feb 17, 2018
    Hi All,

What is the best way, or the most effective way, of answering the question 'Why You'?

I thought that linking in my experiences, skills and desire to pursue a particular area of law would be a good start. But, how can I say that I believe I can add value to the firm when I'm only applying for a vacation scheme?

Looking forward to everyone's responses!

Ruby

I'm assuming this is for an application rather than an interview.

I'd look at everything you've achieved so far and consider what your most notable experiences/most unique selling points are. You want to be really specific here and highlight the best parts - most people underplay their achievements in the applications I read.

I wouldn't worry too much about linking this to a particular area of law. I'd instead focus on why this makes you well suited to a particular law firm, knowing what you know about the firm.

Although you're only applying for a vacation scheme, as @James Kitching said, you're applying with a view to secure a long term career at the firm, so that's what I'd focus on.

Reactions: James Kitching

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.