Would you recommend Christopher Stoakes books?

Lorenzo Pizarro

Standard Member
Mar 26, 2020
Hi All,

Looking to start the law conversion in September 2020, and I was wondering if you guys had read Christopher Stoakes books and would recommend them? I've seen them mentioned on here once or twice and thought I would start a thread on this. I'm considering purchasing his "Is Law For You" book.

Also, any other resources that people found useful would also be appreciated!

Thanks.

Karin

Legendary Member
Future Trainee
Junior Lawyer
  • Aug 25, 2019
    Hi All,

Looking to start the law conversion in September 2020, and I was wondering if you guys had read Christopher Stoakes books and would recommend them? I've seen them mentioned on here once or twice and thought I would start a thread on this. I'm considering purchasing his "Is Law For You" book.

Also, any other resources that people found useful would also be appreciated!

Thanks.
    I can 100% recommend All You Need to Know about commercial awareness book! I am also now reading the All You Need to Know about the City, which is more detailed and a bit more difficult to read (compared to the commercial awareness one) but seems very helpful as well!

I don't really know about the Is Law for You book, as I have not read that one.

LS12

Legendary Member
    Junior Lawyer
  • Apr 22, 2020
    I would say his books are mostly suited to applications. I haven't read the book you are talking about but did read his know the city book!

I did an assessment with an investment bank for their legal internship and used both his books to prepare! They not only offered me a position but they also commented on how confident in my case study task (all down to this book) I would definitely recommend reading around areas you find an interest in too, to prepare for anything you apply for!

If you're looking for other books to help with law I would also recommend -
    Legal Skills - Finch Fafinski - this book goes over everything from how to write essays to how to reference - super helpful especially if you have coursework modules or a dissertation
    Letters to a Law Student

Also, I loved 'Eve was Framed' by Helena Kennedy - more focussed on social justice and the criminal system but a very very good read for law students!

In regard to other stuff to read - I recommend Finimize, Bright Network and Littlelaw for commercial awareness updates!

Reactions: Eva and Jaysen

About Us

The Corporate Law Academy (TCLA) was founded in 2018 because we wanted to improve the legal journey. We wanted more transparency and better training. We wanted to form a community of aspiring lawyers who care about becoming the best version of themselves.

Newsletter

Discover the most relevant business news, access our law firm analysis, and receive our best advice for aspiring lawyers.